What's new

I thought this was interesting...

Ju8vP3t

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
605
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sausalito Blvd Sausalito CA 94965
Just spoke with one of my coin guys, how ya doing, that sorta thing, how's business...etc, he went on to tell me how he didn't have much in the way of Ag, he made a comment " even the Brinks guys don't have anything" Huh? I asked what he meant, he told me that some guys that worked for Brinks were selling him silver coins they'd find in bags,etc....in speaking with him about how Brinks sorts, he said the machine separates silver and foreign coins, and these guys would take the silver and replace it with regular strikes, management found out and fired them all....I asked him what Brinks does with the silver, he said they returned it to the vendor that sent in the batch, like from supermarket/bank coin counting machines....I got some boxes from Brinks a long time ago and there was Nothing!! ....So if he is correct, Brinks must coin search and separate silver....although apparently it's not their policy to keep it
 
Upvote 0
Ju8vP3t said:
Just spoke with one of my coin guys, how ya doing, that sorta thing, how's business...etc, he went on to tell me how he didn't have much in the way of Ag, he made a comment " even the Brinks guys don't have anything" Huh? I asked what he meant, he told me that some guys that worked for Brinks were selling him silver coins they'd find in bags,etc....in speaking with him about how Brinks sorts, he said the machine separates silver and foreign coins, and these guys would take the silver and replace it with regular strikes, management found out and fired them all....I asked him what Brinks does with the silver, he said they returned it to the vendor that sent in the batch, like from supermarket/bank coin counting machines....I got some boxes from Brinks a long time ago and there was Nothing!! ....So if he is correct, Brinks must coin search and separate silver....although apparently it's not their policy to keep it


I don't believe that they sort. In fact I know they don't. The reason being that Brinks have been my best boxes for finding silver, both 90% and 40%. Although the amount found has been diminishing as time goes on, I still find it. If they were really sorting, then nobody would find any from Brinks boxes. There would be no purpose for Brinks to sort out silver unless the company was going to keep it for itself. They would not invest in special equipment that would separate silver halves then give them back to whomever sent them said coins. That just does not make any sense to me. Also, once they place all the coins in the hopper how would they know who sent them a particular coin?

As far as workers stealing or whatever, nothing like that would surprise me.

Jim
 
The guys getting fired for "buying" the silver is consistent with what Brinks told me when I called them about it. They don't like it when people mess with the money. Back in the late 1970's, my grandfather had the opportunity to go into the room in the basement of the Marine Midland bank in Jamestown, NY (he was a plumber and had to do some work there) and saw them rerolling coins. He said that there would be no way to pick all of the old coins out of the hopper. It's too big and it rolls the coins too fast, the workers had to move pretty fast to keep it filled. He told me that the best you could do was to pick a few off the top if you were fast enough. The workers there were aware that old coins got into the rolls, but weren't allowed to do anything about it. That's when the bank did their own rolling and didn't contract it all out to Brinks.

Scott
 
I don't believe that Brinks or any other money hauler sorts silver for themselves or allows employee's to do it.
 
that story is so false, all I search is brinks.........found a lot of silver in their boxes
 
Klava and everyone else,
I have a theory as to why things have pretty much fallen down a Black Hole. I think in the not too distant past there was a pretty much fairly steady declining number of silver halves in general circulation with a steady flow of collections and hoards from older people coming into the system. There were a few hunters, but not enough to make a noticable dent in the balance of things. This changed last year. I believe two things happenned. The silver that had been circulating for years has been found due to vast increases in volume searching because of forums like this, and grandpa and grandma realized with the price of silver up they could sell those coins and make some money. There will allways be new coins coming in, but in my opinion the window has closed. It was a great ride approaching Blue Angel speeds for awhile and now we are down to a walk. What do the rest of you think?
 
50centman said:
Klava and everyone else,
I have a theory as to why things have pretty much fallen down a Black Hole. I think in the not too distant past there was a pretty much fairly steady declining number of silver halves in general circulation with a steady flow of collections and hoards from older people coming into the system. There were a few hunters, but not enough to make a noticable dent in the balance of things. This changed last year. I believe two things happenned. The silver that had been circulating for years has been found due to vast increases in volume searching because of forums like this, and grandpa and grandma realized with the price of silver up they could sell those coins and make some money. There will allways be new coins coming in, but in my opinion the window has closed. It was a great ride approaching Blue Angel speeds for awhile and now we are down to a walk. What do the rest of you think?

What do I think. I think.....STOP IT, YOU ARE MAKING ME CRY... :'(
 
jim4silver said:
Ju8vP3t said:
Just spoke with one of my coin guys, how ya doing, that sorta thing, how's business...etc, he went on to tell me how he didn't have much in the way of Ag, he made a comment " even the Brinks guys don't have anything" Huh? I asked what he meant, he told me that some guys that worked for Brinks were selling him silver coins they'd find in bags,etc....in speaking with him about how Brinks sorts, he said the machine separates silver and foreign coins, and these guys would take the silver and replace it with regular strikes, management found out and fired them all....I asked him what Brinks does with the silver, he said they returned it to the vendor that sent in the batch, like from supermarket/bank coin counting machines....I got some boxes from Brinks a long time ago and there was Nothing!! ....So if he is correct, Brinks must coin search and separate silver....although apparently it's not their policy to keep it


I don't believe that they sort. In fact I know they don't. The reason being that Brinks have been my best boxes for finding silver, both 90% and 40%. Although the amount found has been diminishing as time goes on, I still find it. If they were really sorting, then nobody would find any from Brinks boxes. There would be no purpose for Brinks to sort out silver unless the company was going to keep it for itself. They would not invest in special equipment that would separate silver halves then give them back to whomever sent them said coins. That just does not make any sense to me. Also, once they place all the coins in the hopper how would they know who sent them a particular coin?

As far as workers stealing or whatever, nothing like that would surprise me.

Jim



Well, I was skeptical also, but since I've gotten some good deals from him(my coin guy) I'm not going to try and call him on it....my opinion would be, that none of the car companies(Brinks,Loomis...etc)would separate silver coinage, they're not in that business, and would probably cost them more than it'd be worth to them.....
 
I agree wit' fiddy-cent.

Though not so much that the old people are getting keen on the fact that their coins are worth more than face, but that there are less of them out there to dump their coins back into circulation.

They dumps are so far and few between now that I think it is more profitable to buy every hand roll and machine bag you can instead of attacking boxes. The two good scores I got from handrolls this past summer (mainly just one of them for value) beat EVERY other silver coin I found from boxes... halves, dimes, and quarter boxes that is.

~Dave
 
You're probably right about hand rolls, but there practically non-existent around these parts, most banks I've gone into in the past have hardly any halves, that's why I have to order them to get any quantity
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom