Ice Box

Wilkie94585

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2013
Suisun City, California
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out to an old home site in Solano county and was surprised to find an old "ice box" inside! Not a refrigerator but an actual ice box. I've never seen one like this before and I'm guessing it is from the 30 or 40's. It's made out of metal rather than wood like the old ice boxes I've seen in antique stores. The inside of the door is wood however. What is really surprising is the condition. Other than some bullet holes in the front of the door, the thing is completely intact and all the parts appear to be there. It has not dents and just a little bit of rust. If anyone has seen one like this before or can enlighten me on the age I would appreciate it.

I tried to metal detect around the property but the grass is long and thick and I was getting hundreds of hits. It is hard digging though, besides the dirt being really hard, it is full of river rock, small ones and I was just not motivated enough to mess with it. Suisun.JPG ice box.JPG

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a late 1920's to early 1930's GE Monitor ice box, which would be a great piece restored! Are you going to grab it? Thanks for showing!

OP
OP
W

Wilkie94585

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2013
Suisun City, California
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a late 1920's to early 1930's GE Monitor ice box, which would be a great piece restored! Are you going to grab it? Thanks for showing!

Thank you for your reply.

GE? Did they make non electric appliances? Yes, I do plan on grabbing it. I think the 3 or 4 holes on the front of the door will be easy to patch. I think it's a pretty cool piece. The cover to the ice compartment has a few holes too which you can see in the picture but that is pretty much the only damage.

OP
OP
W

Wilkie94585

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2013
Suisun City, California
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your right. I looked up GE Monitor Ice Box and it does resemble those. I do plan on grabbing it. Probably today after work. I think the 3 or 4 holes on the front of the door will be easy to patch. I think it's a pretty cool piece. The cover to the ice compartment has a few holes too which you can see in the picture but that is pretty much the only damage.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Your right. I looked up GE Monitor Ice Box and it does resemble those. I do plan on grabbing it. Probably today after work. I think the 3 or 4 holes on the front of the door will be easy to patch. I think it's a pretty cool piece. The cover to the ice compartment has a few holes too which you can see in the picture but that is pretty much the only damage.

Great! Keep us updated on the restoration .. Love to see the finished piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread