What's new

ID assistance please

theonlinefisherman

Full Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2012
Messages
122
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
I am a digger of stone, bone, coral, and shell.
Not a personal find buy found by a friend in the eighties. Can anybody tell us what this is? Thanks for any input.

image-2661190036.webp



image-1696091833.webp



image-2329819920.webp
 
Upvote 0
Every time I have ever said this, I have gotten dog-piled. It looks like an effigy of some sort to me, Gary. Do not take my word for it.
 
If the edges are ground, I would say it is a bear effigy.
 
I hate showing people fossilized poop. Buy that looks like an animal face to me. And it is definitely ground by man's effort.
 
If an effigy what is it and are there like examples and is the other side worked? Here is a busted what I think to be a pop eye bird stone. But as it is broken and unfinished and I will never know.



100_4076.webp

100_4077.webp
 
Is it made of sandstone? The pattern on the slab that seems to form an eye reminds me of the appearance of concretions in clay. I don't know if the slab itself was ground into shape, but the pattern on top may have started out natural:

Clay-iron Stone Concretion | ClipArt ETC

I could be all wrong, just reminded me of concretion patterns I've seen......
 
I really need a better pic to say either way. I got glasses on and it still looks blurry. Lets see some better pictures maybe take them outside. I really would like to see it.
 
image-3803804286.webp




image-3464010247.webp




image-2248604329.webp


I realize I have not shown my degree on lithography, but trust me that it is ground/pecked hard stone. It is not clay. If it was clay I would have probably noticed it somehow. And tomorrow I will put up the Nikon on the tripod I use to do images for my database and shoot real images. But it is a chipped face. The first time I thought duck, but it might be a bear. It has the feeling of a shaman piece. They feel different to me. It might me my imagination, but imagination is all we see around us anyway :)

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-1504264348.webp
    image-1504264348.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 120
i think its a hide softening stone or something in that area :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom