Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
I live in Southern California and found this in a canyon and have no idea what it is. It's about the size of a softball, is green and appears to be in layers, like thin slate ( but I'm sure it's not slate ). If you can, please let me know what this. I thank you in advance...

PLL

DSC_0175.JPGDSC_0176.JPGDSC_0177.JPG

Muscovite Mica

Commonly found in granite pegmatites, such as you find in So. Cal.

The green, chromium rich variety is called "Fuchsite"

I have a big chunk of the violet colored variety called "Lepidolite"

My first impression of yours was that it looked like green tourmaline in the mica, but I don't know much about green tourmaline in So. Cal. I know that pink tourmaline is more common in So. Cal.

Nice looking specimen you have there!

Upvote 0
Hard telling on value, as values on gems and specimen material seems to be going up and up. Off hand, I would scrub it a little and put a $15-$25 tag on it. Where you found one, there should be more, including other related minerals.

You have a nice display/conversation piece there! Congrats!

Upvote 0
Amphibole?
I.E. Tremolite..

Upvote 0
@peg..

How easy does the stone flake off?.. It's it too easy to destroy.. then don't clean it.. However if it can be cleaned.. take a tooth brush and dawn foam.. and gently scrub out the dirt and mud.. or add 20 mule team to a buck of warm water and submerge the stone in the mixture for at least 24 hours.. and again more genital scrubbing with a tooth bush may be needed..

I'm just looking for some of the stones natural color, instead of looking past the mud or clay color..

Upvote 0
An old post you guys found here. Upon a second look I'd rethink my answer to serpentine.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back