Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I found a musket ball yesterday in a field that I know for a fact was a Rev. war battlefield. I have found lots of musket balls in the past. Some in farm fields some close or near areas of battles etc. What I want to do with this find is determine if it is British or American. It is not totally spherical so I am going by weight. Off the bat I am thinking British because of the size by eye. Then I found this web site. http://www.ehow.com/how_7633630_identify-revolutionary-war-musket-balls.html So I decide to do the math calculation of diameter by weight. This calculation doesn't make sense to me? The ball weighs 30.39 grams. Using that calculation in the article it comes out to 1.89 width? That isn't right? What am I doing wrong? Anyone ......... Need a math guru :)

Brian

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Micrometer or Calipers? Problem is the ball is not a dropped ball. Almost round but it hit something. This is just a curiosity thing. Just trying to figure out which side fired this ball. It would also give me a good idea which way they were heading.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess that both sides used the same materials to manufacture their shot. It would still be impossible to tell what direction they were headed anyway from a bullet. Someone could be marching in one direction, heard something, turned around and just fired :dontknow: The best part is the find, it may be nearly impossible to get much history on the history of one piece like that. Just hope you find more, and perhaps better items :thumbsup:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hopefully somebody will come by with an answer. I too have a few fired balls that I would like to determine the diameter of. Suppose I should get a scale to weigh them. I do have calipers which will give me a ballpark idea of diameter. You could compare the weight of the fired ball with the weight of a known diameter ball to see if it is bigger than the known diameter ball.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really trying to determine which direction the ball was fired. Although if, say know this is a British ball, given the lay of the land and knowing where the British were coming from etc. helps me get an idea of the battle field a little better.

Swartzie - The article states this math equation to determine the diameter of a musket ball. Weigh the ball if its shape is not spherical. A fired musket ball may have hit a tree or other object and changed shape. Calculate the ball's diameter with the formula: Diameter in inches = 0.223304 x (Weight in grams) to the power of 1/3. I did this and came up with 1.8. Doesn't make sense? That was my whole ? to begin with.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
baspinall said:
Ok, I found a musket ball yesterday in a field that I know for a fact was a Rev. war battlefield. I have found lots of musket balls in the past. Some in farm fields some close or near areas of battles etc. What I want to do with this find is determine if it is British or American. It is not totally spherical so I am going by weight. Off the bat I am thinking British because of the size by eye. Then I found this web site. http://www.ehow.com/how_7633630_identify-revolutionary-war-musket-balls.html So I decide to do the math calculation of diameter by weight. This calculation doesn't make sense to me? The ball weighs 30.39 grams. Using that calculation in the article it comes out to 1.89 width? That isn't right? What am I doing wrong? Anyone ......... Need a math guru :)
Brian

Brian, it may be a piece of "grape shot," and probably started out as a 1-ounce (troy) ball. There would have been anywhere from 40-60 of these balls leaving the artillery piece at the same time, speading out like a shotgun at about 55-60 meters. I have found these on Battle Hill, here in White Plains, NY, where Washington held off the British during his retreat from Long Island and Brooklyn.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I would do is ignore that article, somebody doesn't know what they are talking about! That article is so full of inaccuracies that it is pretty much useless. Without knowing the purity of the lead used weight is useless. Also while British musketballs would have been standard size, Americans used a variety of muskets of different calibers including the same Brown Bess the British were using. Measuring the diameter in a few places and taking the average would get you closer to the actual size, but it is doubtful you will really know which side, or if it was even a hunter that fired it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
l.cutler said:
First thing I would do is ignore that article, somebody doesn't know what they are talking about! That article is so full of inaccuracies that it is pretty much useless. Without knowing the purity of the lead used weight is useless. Also while British musketballs would have been standard size, Americans used a variety of muskets of different calibers including the same Brown Bess the British were using. Measuring the diameter in a few places and taking the average would get you closer to the actual size, but it is doubtful you will really know which side, or if it was even a hunter that fired it.
Yeah, I agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread