The Tejon has the record for me for being the detector I owned the shortest amount of time. I loved the depth of it, the lightness, the price, hated the squeeky shaft/wobble, but hated most of all not having a true Tone ID. I would think the Shadow, despite it being more expensive would have been a hands down favorite for me.
With that said, Over 9 years of using the Explorer XS and all the negatives I hear and about this and that being better, well, to each his own. My finds with the XS over the past 9 years speak volumes of how good it is. I also have comprared it with the CZ70 which my son has been using for many years and we have compared almost all good signals while hunting together, I give the edge to the XS, totally....
Shadow vs Tejon, Shadow wins IMHO, and I have never used a Shadow but have friends who have. Tone ID is very important.
Don