What's new

If it aint a bullet, what is it? Or maybe it is a bullet?

diggummup

Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
17,871
Reaction score
10,149
Golden Thread
0
Location
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there such a thing as a steel bullet? It's made out of some kind of hardened steel I guess, it's magnetic. I don;'t have a micrometer but from what I can get it's about 19mm wide x 84mm long give or take a mm. That translates to about 3/4" wide x 3 5/16" long give or take a 1/16. It has an opening that's 10mm wide and 19mm deep with a concave center, it's not threaded. It weighs approx. 5.6 ounces. Picked it up at a sale, woman said it's a WWII bullet, but I have my doubts.

100_5231.webp100_5237.webp
 
My bullet is, Magnets stick to it!!!! chug
 

Attachments

  • P1010037.webp
    P1010037.webp
    66 KB · Views: 1,143
  • P1010038.webp
    P1010038.webp
    71.7 KB · Views: 808
  • P1010039.webp
    P1010039.webp
    80.6 KB · Views: 799
Upvote 0
Your bullet may Be older than WWII
 
Upvote 0
It is technically not a bullet, but a projectile for one of the smallest calibers of cannons. You've got an armor-piercing projectile for a 20-millimeter caliber cannon ...which dates back to approximately World War 2, and in other forms is still in use today, notably by the US Army. The small shallow hole in the base is for the Tracer chemical. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_mm_caliber
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Cannonball. I guess it was worth the dollar then as a conversation piece. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a 20mm aircraft cannon ball bullet. I have a complete cartridge on my desk as a paper weight. I was stationed on an ordinance range in the USAF and the armourers would paint the nose of the bullet different colors to ID what aircraft fired it. It would leave a colored hole in the 10' by 10' canvas targets we used. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom