If it sounds to good

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It probably is . I no this is a deus forum and looking for a up grade when someone brought the deus to my attention.so checked it out and liked what I see, but how?Its light,powerful,compact, good for relic and parks plus iron infested areas.OK so tell me has France been on the map with detectors before or is this there first.Now I no it uses different frequencies like whites v3i, but whites had to buy rights from minelab is this the same thing.
There is official deus dealers in my area,I would hope they did there home work and not just to jump on the next best thing. Well I'm not a hater actually I'm at the edge just need a push.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Like any other niche market (and even some mainstream ones), things can become a bit stagnant after a while. The evolution of a certain product can slow down to incremental improvements due to, for lack of a better term, tradition. The consumers and the producers form a cozy relationship, and while things continue to improve, you don't really see any dramatic changes. Sometimes it takes an outsider looking in to really shake things up and make that dramatic change. I believe that XP has done this very thing. France apparently does not have the ensconced metal detecting tradition that we have in the states, and XP was under no obligation to follow in the footsteps of others - so they didn't.

I don't own one. My girlfriend does, and I'm very, very impressed by it. I'm not going to trade my E-Trac for one just yet. But if I were to start over? I'd think seriously about starting over with a Deus. (Actually what I'd really like was an E-Trac that was completely wireless, didn't have a crap battery, weighed almost nothing, could be swung fast, had programmable tones, was completely waterproof, and had one-touch shift to TTF. Basically, almost a Deus.)

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus has been proven to be a heavy hitter, and now with the option for an 11" coil when buying the Deus, increased depth really makes this a brilliant all-around metal detector. I loved my E-Trac, but I'm also a techie guy, so the Deus' wireless technology was a real selling point for me. And they have gone to great lengths to make the Deus very sturdy as well, which I appreciate. I'll link the video that really sold me on its durability.

The only thing I needed to see was that Andy Sabisch has written two detector specific books, one on the Explorer/Etrac, and now one for the Deus. He wrote a glowing review for the Deus in the Lost Treasure magazine. He really knows his stuff, so if he is swinging the Deus by choice, you can't go wrong to do the same.

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can write a book on the deus,cause it has a lot of programs and options, if you wrote a book on the atpro, first off why second who would buy it third it would be a paragraph.Those books arent free just think if everyone that bought a etrac bought the book to .So not knocking him or the deus its a great unit just might not before everyone like the v3i or dfx not that I'm comparing them it does have a learning curve .I would love to have it just not that experience in metal detecting yet and think id do better with something els.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can write a book on the deus,cause it has a lot of programs and options, if you wrote a book on the atpro, first off why second who would buy it third it would be a paragraph.Those books arent free just think if everyone that bought a etrac bought the book to .So not knocking him or the deus its a great unit just might not before everyone like the v3i or dfx not that I'm comparing them it does have a learning curve .I would love to have it just not that experience in metal detecting yet and think id do better with something els.

OK, this is gonna sound bad, but dude you dont have experience or a Deus or many others that you are giving your opinion on.....Most with no actual experience on a particular machine, asks questions and evaluates the replies and in this seeking of knowledge, makes a decision but to me, it seems you give all kinds of opinions on stuff you know first hand zero on.....Couple threads now. Again not trying to be harsh just seems off to me. I think you said you have an AT Pro, excellent machine. How can I say that? I owned one and have experience on it.

Ok Andys book on the Deus is worth every single penny and in fact I would have paid more! If you got a Deus (or etrac) BUY THE BOOK!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Jim

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome now these are real post ,now in saying that, you can't write a book on the atpro, so I was just defending the fact that people go to to this forum for information to see if the deus is right for them, so the way it sounded was that you should buy the deus cause someone wrote a book on it, now I no Andy's reputable no question there.now maybe I'm not the most experienced person, no argument there, but I did research on the atpro and it is the exactly the MD I thought it was.I'm not a slow person I have a lot of knowledge about a lot of things and one thing I learned is everything is on the same path just a different way to get there. Math,science.On a simpler note if it sounds like a duck and walks like a duck then its a duck.I may say a lot of things, but I'm right.I have used different MD so I'm no slouch and the things I no about MD for the short time should prove it.In my opinion the deus is , well let me ask you, tell me a harder MD to out there to use/get down?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deus xp is still hands down the best machine I've used

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the way it sounded was that you should buy the deus cause someone wrote a book on it, now I no Andy's reputable no question there.

On a simpler note if it sounds like a duck and walks like a duck then its a duck.I may say a lot of things, but I'm right.I have used different MD so I'm no slouch and the things I no about MD for the short time should prove it.In my opinion the deus is , well let me ask you, tell me a harder MD to out there to use/get down?

When I referenced Andy writing the Deus book, I did not imply that was my reason for choosing the Deus, but rather it simply reinforced my decision.

I don't feel that the Deus is hard to use/get down. The included programs are great on their own, with no tweaking. I've watched videos, read Andy's book and most importantly, held the Deus in my hand and put it to the test in my yard. Do I know everything about the Deus? Not a chance. But I know what each setting does and how it affects the performance. There are a lot of metal detectors considered "hard" to learn, but I feel that process has much more to do with the person than the machine.

I think the Deus is superior for its mobility, response speed and ability to tweak settings quickly. Not to mention the fact that the operating system can upgraded, essentially turning it into a better detector with the same hardware. It just feels like a next-gen metal detector while the rest seem like slightly tweaked versions of the same thing.

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SILVER. Simon sorry I can't high light post, No I understand what you said about the book, its to help you get the most out of your deus at a faster rate, which I no a lot of people must appreciate it.l seen some videos from the manufacture and let me tell you this guy was doing this and if its doing that then do this and do this if its doing that.It might have Ben a older vid when they had problems with the programs.I no its a good detected and I can see great things in the future also they are on the right track and its about time someone came out with a real detector for the customer .So it won't belong for everyone follows there lead.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know its a good detected and I can see great things in the future also they are on the right track and its about time someone came out with a real detector for the customer. So it won't be long before everyone follows their lead.

I hope you are right, and the Deus shakes up the industry a little bit and other companies start using a more intuitive design. It feels like the more established companies are riding their success and churning out detectors with slight upgrades and some bells and whistles instead of focusing on real R&D to push the limits.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
I hope you are right, and the Deus shakes up the industry a little bit and other companies start using a more intuitive design. It feels like the more established companies are riding their success and churning out detectors with slight upgrades and some bells and whistles instead of focusing on real R&D to push the limits.

Indeed.

Last weekend, the point was really driven home for me. It was raining. It rains 8 months out of the year here. The E-Trac screen is basically invisible if it's not perfectly sunny and the sun's not at the right angle. That means June, July, and August if I'm walking in the correct direction. Even the backlight didn't make the screen visible this time, and why should it be? My watch is brighter. My Kindle is brighter. (My Kindle does not have a backlight and is not in color.) My girlfriend's Deus, on the other hand, was easily seen. It also doesn't go beserk in the rain when the coil is tilted, its batteries are fairly high quality, it's light, it's waterproof, and that wireless thing is pretty nice as well.

The E-Trac is a $1600 effing machine. Why the hell is the screen so lousy? There is no excuse for that, and there's no excuse for some of the other problems as well. Great guts, but problems everywhere else. They haven't fixed it because they haven't needed to, but it needs fixing, especially that damned screen. It will take innovators (and lost market share) to force such a change. I can forgive a lot of those problems but the screen is becoming a game-breaker. I have a calculator from 1996 with a display that's easier to read than this. Upgrading the screen would not make the detector work less well. Why? Why is it so bad?

I'm shopping around for a Deus now...not because it's necessarily a more capable machine, but because I can read the frigging screen whenever I want to. The E-Trac is nearly unusable in this area a lot of the time, but the Deus is always readable. Yes, I know, hunt by sound, yadda yadda yadda, but if you're in TTF on the E-Trac, you're not hunting by sound, and if you can't read the display, you're stuck with 4 tone conductive. And if the ground conditions forced you to try TTF because 4TC couldn't work...well, you might as well go home, or dig 5000 holes, or sit back in a dry spot and watch your girlfriend have fun digging up good stuff with her Deus. You're not looking for coins and jewelry anymore. You're looking for whatever you can get. Welcome to bottlecap hell.

So yeah, I think that the Deus is a good machine. I think it's a very good machine in western WA. YMMV. I'm praying that Minelab learns a few lessons from XP.

A useful thought experiment for both sides of the fence would be this: assume that the whole hardware/software detection package for the E-Trac and the Deus is exactly the same, with the actual machines being different. They can detect the same targets equally deeply, although the interfaces and customization features remain as they are today, as do physical sizes, configurations, and weights. Which do you want? And why the hell is Minelab not paying attention to this?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If and when Minelab (or any other manufacturer) modifies their detector, it will cost you $$$ for the upgrade.
XP has (for all intents and purposes), upgraded the Deus more than 3 times and it hasn't cost their customers a dime.

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XP DEUS features a unique patented architecture that is based on three elements.XP has been producing a complete line of metal detectors for enthusiasts world wide since 1998. This top model completes the lineup cause its light weight, powerful, and deep seeking .can I get a amen.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
give it a good stump
then tell me

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Just for the record, I went and bought my Deus today, so if you're wondering how strongly I feel about the machine...there you go. I had originally been planning to sell the E-Trac, but I've changed my mind. In spite of the ergonomic issues, it's just too good of a machine to get rid of, it complements the Deus nicely, and if nothing else, it will make an excellent backup machine.

To explain that last part a bit, I think that the E-Trac (and some of the other Minelabs) have small but measurable advantages in certain areas, and I'll probably be losing an inch or two of depth by going to a Deus with a 11" coil. Or will I? The soil around here is just plain nasty. On auto sense +3, it's not often that I'm above 20 and I've been in the low teens more than once, so it's not like I'm benefiting from Minelab's rightfully-famous depth a lot of the time. On the other hand, I will enjoy being able to see my display whenever I like (and wherever I like, as that display does not need to be mated to the shaft), not having to use ad-hoc wireless solutions, not worrying about whether the rain is dangerously heavy or not, being able to set my own tones, firmware upgrades, a shaft that's long enough for my height without paying another $75, Tesoro-like weight, a package that collapses into an Enterprise-shaped trumpet, not swinging the coil at a speed measured in millimeters per second...basically, having all of my issues with the E-Trac being addressed by a single machine that actually wound up costing a little less.

It's not my intent to beat up Minelab because they make incredible detectors, but I feel as if they focused too much on raw performance and not enough on...well, everything else. The Deus appears to be close in performance, but XP seems to have spent a lot more time on the "everything else" category, and depending on your hunting conditions, the performance difference may not be as much as one might think. I don't believe that it's significant in my neck of the woods. It may very well be in yours.

tl;dr version: It's a well-engineered detector with excellent ergonomics. Whether or not it's worth it to a given person covers too many variables to really address in one post. It was worth it to me, and I'd already thrown down good money for another high end detector.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Dave! I think you will have the best pair of machines around.......

Jim

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Dave! I think you will have the best pair of machines around.......

Jim

With a CTX and a Deus I thought I had two of the best machines around!

Still learning them both and I have had the CTX for over a year. If I had to have only one of them it would be a tough choice.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In spite of the ergonomic issues, it's (E-Trac) just too good of a machine to get rid of, it complements the Deus nicely, and if nothing else, it will make an excellent backup machine.

On the other hand, I will enjoy being able to see my display whenever I like (and wherever I like, as that display does not need to be mated to the shaft), not having to use ad-hoc wireless solutions, not worrying about whether the rain is dangerously heavy or not, being able to set my own tones, firmware upgrades, a shaft that's long enough for my height without paying another $75, Tesoro-like weight, a package that collapses into an Enterprise-shaped trumpet, not swinging the coil at a speed measured in millimeters per second.

It's not my intent to beat up Minelab because they make incredible detectors, but I feel as if they focused too much on raw performance and not enough on...well, everything else. The Deus appears to be close in performance, but XP seems to have spent a lot more time on the "everything else" category, and depending on your hunting conditions, the performance difference may not be as much as one might think. I don't believe that it's significant in my neck of the woods. It may very well be in yours.

tl;dr version: It's a well-engineered detector with excellent ergonomics. Whether or not it's worth it to a given person covers too many variables to really address in one post. It was worth it to me, and I'd already thrown down good money for another high end detector.

To have an E-Trac as a back up is a marvelous set up. Some people might only dream about one day owning either of those detectors, so you are very lucky. I reluctantly sold my E-Trac after I bought the Deus, not because I needed to, but because I felt like I wanted to pass it on to someone else for a great deal, who otherwise might not be able to afford it. Luckily it was to someone here in our online "community" who really wanted one.

Your post hit on a lot of things I've been feeling about the Deus. It is evolutionary in the sense that it takes a big step forward from what everyone else is doing, and I hope that it influences other companies to spend some time in the lab rethinking their vision. Maybe its not deeper than anything else, even with its 11" coil, but it is very comparable to other top-tier models, especially with varying ground conditions. And its no secret that the Deus is one of the fastest setups on the market. Just today the snow finally melted from a section of my yard, and in that 10'x20' area that had been POUNDED by both my AT Pro and E-Trac, my Deus found 8 coins among the iron trash. I have the feeling that my Deus is going to be an absolute heavy hitter in all the areas I search. I just can't say enough about how awesome it is for a detector's ability to upgrade the OS (operating system) for free with a few mouse clicks. When other companies release new and improved software, you are required to purchase a whole new detector to take advantage of it.

I cannot wait for spring to fully thaw this Michigan tundra, and allow me to really put this king of the ring to the test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread