What's new

“If you’re looking for silver, you’re not gonna find any.”

NoThisIsPatrick

Full Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2015
Messages
136
Reaction score
634
Golden Thread
1
Location
Washington
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went into a different bank today and asked for halves. Explained what I was doing and the teller said “if you’re looking for silver, you aren’t gonna find any here.” Oh well, I took the 5 rolls. On the 4th roll, I was greeted with a nice surprise ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538508736.952745.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538508760.521742.webp 1970 D!

Thanks, Mrs Teller for being wrong!
 
Upvote 0
Haha thats the best feeling isn't it?! Nice . I get silver proofs from tellers that say the same thing. In fact I was told the same thing when I got a lone 70.
 
You should go back and ask the same teller for more of those "non silver" rolls. :)
 
Gotta love that kinda wrong!!!!! Congratulations on being in the RIGHT place at the RIGHT time.
 
I hear this all the time and there have been several instances where I cleaned up on silver. Last time was three months ago when I bought $240 in CWRs. Teller said thats all clad theres no silver. Turned out there was $100 worth of 40%ers.
 
yep I would go back and brag about how there isn't any silver.....
 
You may not know this, but tellers, especially the old ones, don’t consider 40% halves as silver. Even some of the old timers pass up the 40’s...goes back to the old days when 40’s were frowned upon by the Hunt bro’s. You couldn’t give ‘em away...

Having said that, big congrats on the 1970D, very hard to catch! Got mine at a bank inside a big-box store.
 
You may not know this, but tellers, especially the old ones, don’t consider 40% halves as silver. Even some of the old timers pass up the 40’s...goes back to the old days when 40’s were frowned upon by the Hunt bro’s. You couldn’t give ‘em away...

This. When I was a teller, we called 40% silver halves clad, and regularly threw them back.
 
Last edited:
Great score. I've never found a '70. Only pulled one '76 40% and my wife was the one who actually found it. Seems like it was always that way. I did the heavy lifting of pick-ups and dumps and she'd help search and would manage to find more of the good stuff. She found the '76S, the first Walking Liberty, grabbed more of the solid silver rolls, IHP ender... I may have to get back into CRHing so that she can find a '70 to fill that hole in the book.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Sweet find NoThis.....The 1970 40%er is an extra unusual find as I believe they were only struck for mint sets and not general circulation. That baby was cut out of a pack and spent! :icon_thumleft:
 
Some of the tellers are idiots. Snagged a '70D ender this week!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom