What's new

Ike

fathead

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
363
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Did they make silver Ike's? I purchased 50 the other day and didn't see any. I am new so I didn't know of any dates to look for. The bank has another 50 in older plastic bags, but they are kind of a bear to get rid of unless you spend them. Even then, cashiers look at you a little sideways. Thanks for the help.
 
Upvote 0
I don't know which ones are silver but I keep them and use them as tips when the wife and I eat out.
 
I don't know what years were silver but I would buy them all.
You never know it might have some Morgans or Peace dollars inside.
 
1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976 "S" mint (San Francisco) are 40% silver. Originally these coins in uncirculated condition came in blue packaging and the proofs came in brown packaging. Obviously if you found any in rolls the packaging would be long gone. Good luck with them.
 
Thanks. Only "S" marks in those years? I hope I didn't spend some keepers. Rookie mistake.
 
There are some silver Ikes 40%ers they are S mintmark they come either clad proof or silver proof. Most likely you have to check out the edge of the coin you will see a silver edge or a copper line on the edge. Pure silver edge is a silver ike copper line clad proof. This is what some of use "CRH"er's call edge checking.
 
fathead said:
Thanks. Only "S" marks in those years? I hope I didn't spend some keepers. Rookie mistake.

Sorry if I was confusing. There were also coins minted in Philadelphia (no mint mark) and Denver (D) in those years, these were copper nickel clad. To make things more confusing is the fact that there were also copper nickel clad coins minted in San Francisco.
 
I have bought lots of $20 rolls before, if I can see them in a tray or a pile, and no silver rim, I usually pass. Easy to get rid of, a manager at my CU will buy all he can get, or I use for tips, drive thru, etc.....
 
Hope this helps



Date Mintage forCirculation Mintage of Proofs Notes


1971-S 40% Silver 6,868,530 4,265,234
1972-S 40% Silver 2,193,056 1,811,631
1973-S 0 2,760,339
1973-S 40% Silver 1,883,140 1,013,646
1974-D 45,517,000 0 Rare errors exist on 40% Silver
1974-S 0 2,612,568
1974-S 40% Silver 1,900,156 1,306,579
1776-1976-S 0 6,995,180
1776-1976-S 40% Silver 5,000,000 4,000,000


1977-D 32,983,006 0 Rare errors exist on 40% Silver
1977-S 0 3,251,152
 
Thanks. That list is very helpful. I am going to go get the rest. They said they have had them a long time and nobody wants them.
 
just so you know......the main reason we search large dollars is the chance that some Morgans or Peace dollars or if your really lucky maybe a silver eagle (1oz silver bullion) will be in there. the silver 40% proofs are just the frosting on the cake.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom