Illinois Coal Token

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this in RI and I'm curious what it may have been used for. There was little information available in the online token catalog. Does anyone have any thoughts? I do not think it's script b/c there is no value/ number on it.

orientcoal.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to me like an advertising piece, used like today's business card, to give to potential customers who would be reminded to buy their coal from the Chicago, Wilmington & Franklin Coal Co. This "storecard" was probably not intended to be given to the end-users, but was for wholesale or retail coal companies who could carry that coal. Things like this were giveaways at conventions, trade shows, and perhaps directly by the coal company's representative as he traveled around looking for customers. My father-in-law owned a coal business in MO and had some items made for similar purposes. Not tokens, though, darn it.
John in the Great 208

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about your piece but I love it. I have a lot of family in Franklin County, Illinois and some of them still work in the mines.

OP
OP
Johnnoh

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. This is helpful information.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
the token is in the 3rd edition of edkin's catalogue of united states coal companies store scrip, but it is not scrip. idahotokens is correct that it was of advertising purposes. it is also listed in nickel composition. it is commonly found undug in good condition, sorry to say.

the reverse side, with the outline of IL., is the same on multiple tokens. they each have different 'company name' obverses. two listed are believed to be from iowa.
most all BELOW [THAT SAY (SAME AS ABOVE)] the obverses have the same "orient/franklin county/coal/distributors" after the 'following' companies name. (2 listed with slight variations).
1. botsford lumber company/same as above// (another similar one with diff. line breaks in the above) 2. Elijah & winne, inc./(same as above)//3. hayes-lucas lumber company/(same as above)// 4. western grain & coal co./cw&f/Wilmington coal distributors// 5.the derby mills co./(same as above)// 6. the Sheridan coal co./orient/coal/distributors// 7. western grain & coal co./(same as above)// (all in brass except the one you found had been reported in nickel composition.

funny that 2 others are listed in iowa with the same reverse. 1. fowler & Wilson coal company/(same as above) 2. the e.e. piney coal co./(same as above)

all the above, [THAT SAY (SAME AS ABOVE)] both IL & IA, have "orient/franklin county/coal/distributors". following the companies name.

all advertising tokens, store cards, commemorative & such will be removed from the edkin's catalog 4th edition, as it is listing scrip.
we are leaving retail coal yards that are "good for's..." as it is possible that some were owned or directly related with a coal company and given to employee in advance of wages for heating (such as scrip was available against future wages).

the 3rd ed is available on ebay at $20. it comes in volume 1, all states except WV & volume 2, WV only)
both volumes of the 4th edition are expected to be printed late 2013 and will sell for around $45.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnnoh

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic Intimer! Thanks.