Im a beginner and would like to buy my first detector

Beginner'sfindings

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a beginner and would like to buy my first detector

I love metal detecting and learning the history of the people, sites, and artifacts. I am working with a "hammy down" which has been great, but I'm looking to buy my first detector. I would like the best bang for my buck out there. The family who got me into detecting all us White's MXT and TDI. I like those but have heard that there are better ones out there. I would also like to buy a water detector too. My price range is $1500 or less. Its a joint birthday, Christmas, and paycheck present. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

With bank like that you can do really well ! You can get something solid for half that I'd guess . There are a lot of makes/models
competing for your money, so take a little time - maybe you can test drive a few if you're near a good dealer !

I like my AT PRO it is the one use the most plus it's water proof. But look around and find the right one for you.

Being a relative new guy myself. I went with the ATpro. Awesome machine,easy learning curve.

Some free advise. don't get all caught up in the most powerful,deepest, ,most custom setting blah blah. I did I got very, very frustrated and almost gave up on the whole thing! I had a Whites V3i,Fisher f-75,Minelab Etracs. I got rid of all the noted machines. I ended up sticking with the ATpro.

Get a good solid machine from a main brand manufacturer. The learn the machine. Most all new machines will find good stuff. You will be better served to spend your energy/time reading ,and studying old maps. One of my best finds 1853 LG cent came under the coil of a Fisher F-2. But I read about the property in the local library. It was old open air market, now just farm fields. But you can see any machine would have found the old coin.

Get some time swinging to learn the hobby before ya spend a lot of $$$ on something ya don't know about.

HH Koz

Last edited:
The best bang for the buck if the standard T2. The price dropped from over $800 to $499. Then you can invest the rest into the water detector. I have bought my last 2 detectors off of Craigslist and saved about $600 using the retail price. I started with an El Cheapo, moved up to a F4 and now use the F75LTD SE which I upgraded last winter.

like loco said i bought mine used just bc i saved a ton of money and still had over a year of warranty on almost every machine i have!

I saw a real nice DFX for sale on DFX only (removed by mod, not a supporting vendor) Spend the rest on a water machine..

Last edited by a moderator:
Please remember we do not allow links to other treasure forums nor links to non supporting vendors....

You hit the nail on the head he should by somethiing like a delt a see if he likes hunting pull tabs for a while first /Good info kk!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back