What's new

Im asking the experts

dave5710

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2010
Messages
615
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I'm asking the experts

I got a surprise today at my dump bank. They sold me 57 halves that someone brought in. 27 were 40%. Anyway when I went to another bank to buy dimes and quarters (1 bag each), I was informed that they were holding 400 large dollars for me if I was interested. The teller handed me a roll and opened one herself and both were full of Bicentennials. Then she opened another and it held various dates, (all Ikes). What are my odds of getting anything decent, if I buy these?

thanks for your info. Dave
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm asking the experts

I got a morgan the other day in $40 worth. Some ikes are good too, a there is a really valuable 72, check a coin book
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

Unless you buy 'em, you will never know. It isn't like a gamble. You can always spend 'em.
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

Fistfulladirt said:
Unless you buy 'em, you will never know. It isn't like a gamble. You can always spend 'em.

Ditto.

Aside from proof or 40%er Ikes you may find (or errors if you're into those), be sure to keep any from '73 (the lowest minted NIFC Ike) and the '77P (the lowest minted Ike IFC)

"You can't win if you don't play."
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

I still cant tell how to spot the good ones that arent silver,havnt see silver either.

But if this helps - a local coin store sells them for $1.70 ea. Odd tho right now he buys them for .90 ea. I figure that over time it will probably be worth keeping- more so then the lesser circulated halves that some keep.
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

quiksilver said:
But if this helps - a local coin store sells them for $1.70 ea. Odd tho right now he buys them for .90 ea.

Why would ANYONE sell a dollar coin for ninety cents ??? They can spend it at any store or take it to any bank and get $1 for it.
It is US currency for Pete's sake.

Is this the same coin dealer who was mentioned a week or so ago ? It certainly doesn't speak well of his clientele if he's getting any Ikes at ninety cents.
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

Ike's average $1.20 each....throw em on CL and wait.
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

I'll pick them up Saturday, and will let you know what I find. Thanks again. Quarter bag was a skunk, but got 3 rosies in the dime bag. Just about average.
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

I agree with "it's the luck of the draw". :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

I get any Ike I can find. I throw them in an oil drum in my garage, as I figure someone will get a kick out of them one day. If I get a really nasty one (some of them have some green corrosion on them), I just spend them. The other day, I spent two of them at the cafe in th elobby of my building, and the cashier went bat sh_t. You would have thought that I handed her a gold coin. Then, the guy behind me asked to buy them, so she sold him one of them. When I spend one, it usually brightens someone's day, so I figure it's worth the effort to collect them.
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

I'd grab them all. When I did road trips I'd pick up a few here and there. Never more than 20 at a time. I did get one 40% Ike in poor condition.
HH
Rich
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

Well the results are in........ One of the ladies at the bank bought 100 of them, but I did pick up 300. Nothing exciting at all. Alot of 72's and BC's, many 74's, a few 71's and only two each 77 & 78. I didn't expect Morgans or Peace $$, but would of liked a couple of 73's to fill those holes in my collection. Thanks for all of the advice guys. Dave
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

dave5710 said:
Well the results are in........ One of the ladies at the bank bought 100 of them, but I did pick up 300. Nothing exciting at all. Alot of 72's and BC's, many 74's, a few 71's and only two each 77 & 78. I didn't expect Morgans or Peace $$, but would of liked a couple of 73's to fill those holes in my collection. Thanks for all of the advice guys. Dave

In the last 4 years I probably have collected over $4k of the big dollar coins and have found more silver dollars than 73's.......... for real.

Mojo
 
Re: I'm asking the experts

Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what your going to get. I would get them all, look for silver then spend them.

Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom