Im done and a failure...

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm done and a failure...

Well guys I've been done now for almost a week. I've been in CO since the 25th...This tale is a story unto it's self...

On the 23rd of this month I was having ongoing issues with my T80. Turns out who ever took the thing apart last did not get the alignment of the bearings right. They were not sitting in their seats right, the piston was off center thus causing my early diaphragm failure imo. I had tore the thing apart several days before (my first time ever removing the main shaft/piston assembly) and found that everything was misaligned. I had loosened the set screw on the counter balance to shift it away from hitting the housing, and was adjusting the rods position on the bearing..It's a long story but my season ended when as I started to tighten the set screw on the rod when the rod snapped.

That was it, no air, no dredging! The worst thing about it...I think I was 5 feet or less to a major payday.. I'll start at day 1 in the next day or so but for now, if there is a award for hard luck miner, hands down I will win it with my luck for the season...

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not worth much but you have my respect!
At least you tried.
Things may not have worked out the way you would have liked them too but you had the courage and drive to try.
Many people fail and give up, many more never try, at least you tried, the outcome may not have been what you wanted but you learned a lot and after you lick your wounds and ponder all you have learned not only about mining but about life I believe you will try it again.

Wes

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twain said it. A miner is gambler that likes to be outdoors. You tried buddy, and that's more than most can say. G/L

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Colorado Omnicron!
Sorry to hear about the compressor, have followed your adventure with great interest. Well done!
Best,

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably not worth much but you have my respect!
At least you tried.
Things may not have worked out the way you would have liked them too but you had the courage and drive to try.
Many people fail and give up, many more never try, at least you tried, the outcome may not have been what you wanted but you learned a lot and after you lick your wounds and ponder all you have learned not only about mining but about life I believe you will try it again.

Wes

I'm not done yet, next year will be better. I came home with my head held high. In my 6 to 7 weeks I pulled a ounce but there is more to this story...it should be quite the read so everyone stay tuned.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to Colorado Omnicron!
Sorry to hear about the compressor, have followed your adventure with great interest. Well done!
Best,

Thanks. We are living in green valley ranch and so far I like it here. My compressor is a total loss so I guess a pack or Gast is in my future.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never a failure as long as something was learned,something was earned, and you really did end up with 1 heck of a adventure new to you. Henceforth and therefore your much better off than before. Like I have always said-I've easily made $10,000 in a hour and I've spent $10,000 ,worked like a dog for a month,lived like a animal and not paid for gas BUT what a story with plenty a pics to remember. Have a great winter whilst them nuggets dance in your dreams as at least ya took a shot and sooo few really do-John

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never a failure as long as something was learned,something was earned, and you really did end up with 1 heck of a adventure new to you. Henceforth and therefore your much better off than before. Like I have always said-I've easily made $10,000 in a hour and I've spent $10,000 ,worked like a dog for a month,lived like a animal and not paid for gas BUT what a story with plenty a pics to remember. Have a great winter whilst them nuggets dance in your dreams as at least ya took a shot and sooo few really do-John

Thanks John!

I will have the memories and experiences that others could only wish for.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've been thinking of the best way to tell my tale and I think I shall tell it in parts, like a mini-series.
I'll try to skip the boring parts...

So without further ado...

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As some of you may know, I sold my house and moved my family to CO. The trip was un-eventful..almost boring. 1000 miles driving with a U-Haul trailer stuff full of years of house hold items with half of our stuff left in Idaho. The plan was to bring it back with me when I was done dredging. I spent one day in CO. then it was off to the grey hound bus station. This part of my journey turned out to be quit interesting, twenty four hours on a bus is not what I consider fun.

Up till we hit Salt Lake City UT, I had been guarding my bag with it's secrete contents with my life...You cant move to a state which legalized an other wised controlled substance without wanting to sample...To that end I figured nothing would make the cold nights in a tent after a hard day dredging a little more enjoyable. Well the Department of Homeland Security see's it a different way and had designated SLC as a security point. We all had to disembark off the bus while they swept it for explosives. Can you believe that crap! I mean, what's a terrorist going to do with a bus...I know, I know there's lots of things they could do with a bus,but really, talk about a loss of our freedoms.

So to get back on the bus, they were also looking through our baggage. I'm in panic mode at this point, here I have something hidden in a can of coffee grounds, so close to my destination only thinking I'm going to half to ditch my prize! I go around the back side of the building to the smoking area to contemplate my next move when I notice, nobody is watching the passengers already through the security point. There's 6 or 7 people standing in a group about 10 feet away from me smoking with a bunch of people standing at the bus with tickets in hand, trying to board.

I see my opening, I walk up to the group of smokers, lite up and stand there like nothing is wrong. The whole time I can feel the sweat dripping off my boys, feel it running down my back and chest but trying my damndest to keep my cool. The group finishes smoking, the line at the security point is no more as everyone has already been screened...that is except 1. We make our way, 4 or 5 steps to the door of the bus and form a line. In my head I'm yelling at myself, don't be stupid, don't do this, I don't want to go to jail...my heart is pounding a million beats a second...I'm about ready to bolt out of line and run...it's my turn...I had the driver my ticket...he looks at it, then at me, I smile, crack some stupid comment (I don't remember what I said) and he says...Roy Miller...welcome aboard,

Holy crap I made it! I feel like a million bucks at this point. We continue on our way to our destinations...all of a sudden I'm very tired, it's 11:30 at night so I decide to sleep. Before we even make it out of Utah, I'm sleeping. About a hour or so into this leg of the trip everyone is awaken to the sound of a woman having, well, pleasure. In the very back of the bus two otherwise strangers were having relations of the physical nature. The bus erupts in laughter, well all except the driver. He announces they are going to make a unscheduled stop. He has a talk with the two people involved and they are seated apart from each other for the rest of the journey.

To be continued..

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. We are living in green valley ranch and so far I like it here. My compressor is a total loss so I guess a pack or Gast is in my future.

My very good friend and prospecting buddy lives out in Green Valley Ranch, we may have to all tip a beer or two ;)

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well guys I've been done now for almost a week. I've been in CO since the 25th...This tale is a story unto it's self...

On the 23rd of this month I was having ongoing issues with my T80. Turns out who ever took the thing apart last did not get the alignment of the bearings right. They were not sitting in their seats right, the piston was off center thus causing my early diaphragm failure imo. I had tore the thing apart several days before (my first time ever removing the main shaft/piston assembly) and found that everything was misaligned. I had loosened the set screw on the counter balance to shift it away from hitting the housing, and was adjusting the rods position on the bearing..It's a long story but my season ended when as I started to tighten the set screw on the rod when the rod snapped.

That was it, no air, no dredging! The worst thing about it...I think I was 5 feet or less to a major payday.. I'll start at day 1 in the next day or so but for now, if there is a award for hard luck miner, hands down I will win it with my luck for the season...

Man, that is tough.

Where were you trying to dredge here in Colorado? My guess is the Arkansas since dredge season closes end of Sept. You can still sluice, if you brought one with you. There is some decent flood gold among the rocks along the shore. You could even work some shallow areas today with the dredge without air.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, that is tough.

Where were you trying to dredge here in Colorado? My guess is the Arkansas since dredge season closes end of Sept. You can still sluice, if you brought one with you. There is some decent flood gold among the rocks along the shore. You could even work some shallow areas today with the dredge without air.

Nope. Moved to CO and went back to idaho to dredge. I'm alergic to shovels...when I come in contact with them I start sweating, my body hurts and I get these things on my hands that hurt! LOL

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of respect Omni, you built your own equipment and gave it hell. As long as you can hold your head high there is no loss. Love hearing the stories and look forward to more, very entertaining and well written - ever think of writing for ICMJ or GPAA or perhaps HEAD? :thumbsup:

Glad to see you back and safe

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Special thanks for letting us in on the entire adventure. Kudos for bustin your ass. We're all just monkeys here watching and learning and you definitely helped me with your saga. Your not out just a little down. You will get back up and do it again and when you do be sure to include us again.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope. Moved to CO and went back to idaho to dredge. I'm alergic to shovels...when I come in contact with them I start sweating, my body hurts and I get these things on my hands that hurt! LOL

Oh, somehow I missed that that you moved back to Idaho to dredge.

I understand the allergic reaction thing. I am getting that way, too.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's raining and I'm bored so figured I'd add some more :)

So Buddy came back after a day or so and the 3 of us went and loaded my trailer onto another trailer. I then left back to the valley to dispose of my broken trailer and to pick up my new wetsuit. I'm able to find someone to take my beat up broken down trailer and I'm off to pick up my wetsuit. I pick up my suit at the UPS office only to find out they sent the wrong suit and size. Grr I'm pissed. I ordered a XL farmer john with attached hood from Tommy Sports for 139 and they sent me a farmer john with no hood in the size 3xl. Hell that's not going to work. The water is a tropical 44 degrees. I make a phone call and the guy I talked to said they will send the right one out right away 3 day express at no charge. Even sent a return label and bag to send back the other one. Crap this means I'll have to deal with my semi-dry that's only good for church because it's holey!

So I make the 3 hour trip back to Atlanta and meet Buddy and Todd on the road about 10 miles from camp. I could tell something was up, they were both covered in mud. All hell broke lose that day...This area was devastated by fires in the last few years. Whole mountains were burned of tree's and brush. It had rained and there had been numerous mud slides. They were muddy because they had to cross the river to save our dredges from all these 50 to 100' logs coming down the river. We were lucky we didn't lose a dredge that day but a fellow up river wasn't so lucky. He lost a 5" dredge that day, pieces of his pontoons were scattered over 10 miles of the river. I don't think he ever found his frame and motor but did find a pontoon or two, pieces of toons and his sluice box 5 miles down river.

The next day when It's light outside I see the extent of the damage. A four to five foot wall of mud and water had came down the river. You could smell the mud in the air. It took almost 3 weeks for the river to clear up but you still could not see more then 3'. It was almost a week and a half before we could dredge due to safety reasons. Visibility was only 12" or less and the risk of a rogue log coming down was of great concern.

That same day, the day after I come back up, we are all taking a nap (couldn't do anything else) when this guy comes barreling into camp. He has this wild/frantic look on his face. He's yelling "Hello" I finally stick my head out of my tent and he's I need your guy's help. These guys run a pay to dig mine a few miles up river. They had a group of customer set up a tent below this rock damn they had build against the advice they were given. This same day we had more thunder storms and rain. He was like "I need help finding missing campers. They set a tent up and we had a slide and I think they are dead. Can you guys help me find their bodies" He leaves in a flash and I wake up the guys....

20140812_170613_003.jpg 20140812_170613_000.jpg View attachment 1061020 20140812_170613_001.jpg View attachment 1061022 20140812_170753.jpg 20140812_170613_002.jpg 20140812_170635.jpg

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real adventures and not armchair hero bs. Gettn' down in the mudn' the bloodn' the beer seperates the men from the boys. Those folks thought they knew better and paid the price?? When the story continues, as you misplay the game ,you must pay the price :censored: John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread