What's new

Im remembering why I dont see Old Dude posting every week.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
12,680
Reaction score
43,404
Golden Thread
1
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm remembering why I don't see Old Dude posting every week.

When one starts doing what we all want to do in this hobby, find OLD stuff!! I mean
like not just settling for clad every time out, like I'd been. ;)

When one really starts to do the "work" part, the research, the knocking for permissions, the limiting to
mostly places that have a fair chance of finding "old".

When one starts doing all that, as I have started doing again, the finds dwindle! The chance at quality goes
up! But, the actual finds go down. When one only finds a nail, or one penny or one bullet. They don't feel
much like posting. LOL ;)

Like, the slightly disappointing showing I'm about to present. :)

2015 (730).webp
2015 (731).webp
2015 (732).webp

Dunno what the bullet is, but the shell is interesting. Not one I would expect here.

2015 (733).webp

Don't think Blingie's liking the new style. :)

Thanks for peeking!
 
Upvote 26
Hey, that nail is old! As soon as deer season ends here, I am gonna go find some just like it again from the site that gave me these
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449707516.945409.webp
 
Hey, that nail is old! As soon as deer season ends here, I am gonna go find some just like it again from the site that gave me these

Would you believe that nail wasn't cleaned? Came out just like that!
 
Last edited:
I would say your nails are period for silver and other oldies. Good luck going back
 
I'll take quality over quantity anyday. I do enjoy a good target rich clad hunt, but if I have a promising permission I will be just as glad pulling 19 old cents. My coin face value total has decreased from $511 last year (8 months) to a meager $332 this year (9.5 months), but I more than doubled my silvers & pulled way more old keeper coins. I am looking forward to seeing more posts from your researched hunts whadi.
 
That's the name of the game! If you want OLD stuff it takes a lot more effort and your total finds will drop. But you have to decide, if want quantity or quality.
 
I hear ya fella. I hunt 2 to 4 times a week. I post finds twice a month. You do the math....
 
Hey, that nail is old! As soon as deer season ends here, I am gonna go find some just like it again from the site that gave me these

I just noticed the part of a shoe you have there. Actually, I found what appeared to be the entire top of some sort of footwear. Either a boot, or high top shoe. Complete with the eyelets. I left it there by mistake. But, I'll pick it up next time.

Interesting!

By the way, anyone know what kind of bullet that would be?
 
Last edited:
Nice finds there!
Transition is not always smooth.

Maybe Blingie should get his tail busy with some research if he's not happy with the finds. :D

Getting out detecting for anything this time of year is gold, no matter what your looking for!
 
FISHIE SAYS HE CANT UNDERSTAND WHY LINCOLN WONT SPEAK TO HIM AND BLINGIE SAYS HE HAS HAD ENOUGH FOR ONE DAY ..
 
Ya know, Whadi, if Blingie would take up the "shooting sports," he could claim more of your finds...especially that .45 caliber slug. Sub 8-)
lizard.webp
 
Ya know, Whadi, if Blingie would take up the "shooting sports," he could claim more of your finds...especially that .45 caliber slug. Sub 8-)

Nah, I ain't too worried about Blingie. Except that he still has the keys. :BangHead:

Is that what the bullet is, a 45? Modern?
 
Is that what the bullet is, a 45? Modern? It looks like a recent-times .45 ball ammo (not jacketed) mostly used for target practice. Maybe some calipers will tell the tale. I am basing my hypothesis on its size in relation to the 9mm casing, which is about the same as a .38 caliber projectile.
 
I'm remembering why I don't see Old Dude posting every week.

Don't forget...you have to actually GET OUT too to make some finds lol. Yesterday I drove about 2-2 1/2 hours in a big loop down through jeff of pa's home county and did not make a single stop. Nothing jumped out and said " Stop! ".
 
Last edited:
We all like finding the old stuff and personally I would rather find one good old coin than a pocket full of clad. I've been doing well this year with my first gold coin and a bunch of other great finds. Problem is, if you want to dig the good stuff you usually have to wade through a lot of junk. Case in point, the photos below. This was from about 3 hunts.

20151114_083047.webp 20151114_091019.webp
 
We know what you mean WAF. Last year at this time, I had dug 466 CW relics. This year only 74 so far. HH, Q.
 
Don't forget...you have to actually GET OUT too to make some finds lol. Yesterday I drove about 2-2 1/2 hours in a big loop down through jeff of pa's home county and did not make a single stop. Nothing jumped out and said " Stop! ".

Now ya see, that's NOT researching! That's plain dumb luck and coincidence. (I should know! ;) )

Like you say, "It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing!" If you don't swing, you don't find a thing. (usually)
Believe it or not, I am ALREADY changing my mind on just how I'm going to proceed on my future hunts. Research HAS to
be part of it, but man doesn't live by research alone. Unless they just want to celebrate finding a single, crappy penny and
call that a successful hunt.

By the by, you REALLY should pay attention to those stop signs! Even in Jeff's county, they do yell STOP!!
 
.....I have actually found 1/2 a "crappy" corroded zinc, and celebrated, because the other finds were ALL pull tabs.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom