Ahab8
Gold Member
- Joined
- Oct 15, 2013
- Messages
- 8,427
- Reaction score
- 8,293
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- Topsham, Maine
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been out in a very long time due to work and trying to spend a little time with the family when I'm not working. I think about detecting all the day and have just wanted to find one day to get out there and dig a few targets. I had a free day yesterday and approached it this way....I'm going to get up super early and kayak in to a very early site. One that gave up a couple of my favorite relics ever, the early Latten spoons. It was a beautiful day and I felt zero pressure to make a great find. Just having a beautiful day to be on the water and dig some holes was enough for me. So out I went before the sun came up. I landed my kayak and got started hiking to the spot. I detected along the way and was hearing a decent amount of iron. Then got a nice signal and dug what I imagine came from a piece of furniture though I see no attachment points.

In the same hole was some shells and a few ceramics. Soooo I'm thinking probably an 18th century trash pit. I will return to it this fall.

The blue glass came from the water and has an interesting stamp. After digging a few buttons and making a mental not of where I was I continued to the 1600s site to see what was hiding in the dirt. First hole I dug contained my first pipe bowl ever with the LE mark (LLEWELIN EVANS) from the late 1600s. Pretty psyched to have it. I also found part of another pipe bowl. 17th century trash pit maybe
?



This place is such a mess that you have to clear small spots just to swing for a few minutes. So after clearing a small area I got a screamer down deep. About 12" down I felt it and knew it was a spoon. Was over the min to see it wasn't plain. These are called Seal Top Latten Spoons. The date from the late 1500s to the early 1600s. A few minutes later I got another great signal close to the surface....another beautiful complete Latten spoon. A few minutes later I dug a broken spoon that's a little different style. I never thought I would find another complete Latten spoon after the two I found last year. To find two more examples is mind blowing to me. I couldn't be happier.




The entire family

I also found what I believe is a 1774 half real. About 100 years newer than most finds at this site....crazy!


Found a couple of random drop coins. 1870 2 center and an 1867 5 cent.


It was an awesome day and this place is hiding lots more killer early finds....hopefully even an early silver. We shall see this fall


In the same hole was some shells and a few ceramics. Soooo I'm thinking probably an 18th century trash pit. I will return to it this fall.

The blue glass came from the water and has an interesting stamp. After digging a few buttons and making a mental not of where I was I continued to the 1600s site to see what was hiding in the dirt. First hole I dug contained my first pipe bowl ever with the LE mark (LLEWELIN EVANS) from the late 1600s. Pretty psyched to have it. I also found part of another pipe bowl. 17th century trash pit maybe
? 


This place is such a mess that you have to clear small spots just to swing for a few minutes. So after clearing a small area I got a screamer down deep. About 12" down I felt it and knew it was a spoon. Was over the min to see it wasn't plain. These are called Seal Top Latten Spoons. The date from the late 1500s to the early 1600s. A few minutes later I got another great signal close to the surface....another beautiful complete Latten spoon. A few minutes later I dug a broken spoon that's a little different style. I never thought I would find another complete Latten spoon after the two I found last year. To find two more examples is mind blowing to me. I couldn't be happier.




The entire family

I also found what I believe is a 1774 half real. About 100 years newer than most finds at this site....crazy!


Found a couple of random drop coins. 1870 2 center and an 1867 5 cent.


It was an awesome day and this place is hiding lots more killer early finds....hopefully even an early silver. We shall see this fall

Upvote
80
. Nice going on that LE pipe bowl too. I find both Will and Llewelin Evans pipe bowls and stems down this way so they must have been exporting huge numbers of pipes from Bristol back in the late 1600s. Some of my LE finds are pictured below. I also like that little whizzer toy as it has that textbook look with the 2 holes and serrated edge. And I think that small piece of pottery in the center of that pic is 1600s delftware, and the piece above it might be too. Based on your finds there you know a killer trash pit lies nearby, and hopefully you can locate it and uncover a boatload of incredible early artifacts. Great post man, and can't wait to see you get back out there, which I assume will be quite soon.
. Time to break out the shovel and sifter at BOTH of those sites.
Funny to think, spoons being among your best finds would not be something you ever seen coming.

The group shot of the latten spoons is unbelievable and if there is that many spoons, you know that there is many more. I cant wait to see what other surprises this site holds for you. Now go get into the pit out there!






