What's new

Independence Pass

rginn

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
9,220
Reaction score
13,578
Golden Thread
0
Location
Summit County, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've been up there this year. Always like to check out the old town of Independence. And a pic of one of the most common sights you'll see in Colorado this time of year. They're everywhere.
 

Attachments

  • 5-31aa.webp
    5-31aa.webp
    104.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 5-31cc.webp
    5-31cc.webp
    133.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 5-31ee.webp
    5-31ee.webp
    155.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 5-31dd.webp
    5-31dd.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 5-31ff.webp
    5-31ff.webp
    163.6 KB · Views: 85
Gonna be close to 90 down here later in the day. Bet it be nice to be up there about now. Have you ever panned any samples out of the creek coming down Independence ?
 
So beautiful! I think it would be a hard place to live, but gorgeous country!:occasion14:
 
LOL!!! Know how the eyes play tricks on you when you're tires?

I thought the vest was a bit descriptive. I read "COOT" rather than CDOT. Still a bit tired from working outside yesterday.
 
Haven't panned there but man I wish I could detect that townsite, especially around the remains of the old boarding houses. High 60's here today and maybe low 70's for next week, and that's warm enough for me. 'Coot' is probably the mildest thing those poor guys get called. Right now they have an I-70 off ramp shut down, so all the southbound SH-9 traffic is being routed right down Main Street.
 
Beautiful views and pics! hat last one made me laugh. Tis the season. Every one is seeing them all over.
 
Haven't panned there but man I wish I could detect that townsite, especially around the remains of the old boarding houses. High 60's here today and maybe low 70's for next week, and that's warm enough for me. 'Coot' is probably the mildest thing those poor guys get called. Right now they have an I-70 off ramp shut down, so all the southbound SH-9 traffic is being routed right down Main Street.
I did take my Garrett up there and do a little detecting, but only managed to find old cans and nails, before I decided metal detecting old ghost towns is gonna be tough with all the trash left behind. That was around 1983, so Independence wasn't so protected as it is today. I found looking for stone artifacts to be much more pleasurable. I left my Garrett in my old International Scout on the passenger seat at the then new Walmart in Salida and came out to find it was gone. That's when the mine had it's final big layoff and people we're lifting things, leaving town and a bunch of stray dogs ended up running around. I decided then I'm going to California. Now it's all but a tourist destination and I don't find much joy going up there anymore, until late fall.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom