Infected Computer

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I put in a full shift in my office doing battle with cyber invaders. Started about supper time yesterday and ended at two am this morining.

All I wanted to do was check my email and ended up in a battle with cyber invaders. The computer had been acting odd lately. It crashed (Blue Screen of Death) the other day, but I had thoght it was a heat problem because 'someone' left a dictionary leaning up against one of the fans blocking the air flow. That was just the begining. The computer ran slower and slower. I HAD been using AVG Free and it was scheduled to run every day at about 2AM. It has not been doing a very good job.

I had discovered that my PC was loaded with Trojan Horses and viruses and possibly a Worm. One on line scan said there was a worm detected. All the utilities programs that I had, would not run correctly. They would start up and begint detect infected areas then shut down. All of them did this.

Now what? I manually ran AVG Free and it found at least one Trojan. It was one of the few programs that did not shut down when started, but it also did not find a lot of the other infected files either. I down loaded an new virus scanner on a 60 day trial called Avast. It was the one that found what ever virus, trojan etc... was not permitting my other utilities to run.

The frustrating part is that there are programs on the web that appear to be malwere removers that are themselves trojans and malware. Go figure. That is why I am listing the address for a great free program (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) called Malwarebytes. There are some closely named programs that will just make matters worse. One is Malwarebytes remover. Not the same program. DO NOT GET THEM CONFUSED.

I feel confident that all the invaders have been removed and I want to share the name of the programs that let this happen:

Avast
a-squared Free
Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)
XoftSpySE
Trojan Hunter Scanner
Spybot Search and Destroy
Reg Cure
CCleaner

I also had an olde version of XoftSpy that is no longer supportable, that found some infections.

Ran Avast this morning and it found three more viruses.

Malwarebytes is free and so is CCleaner. Spybot is free. A-Squared is free. Avast is on a 60 day trial.

Hope this helps you as well as it did me.

I had no idea how many infected files were in my computer. Guess I put too much faith in the AVG Free program. Lesson learned.

HH
Ray S

G

gamiller

I just reread your post -- avast is free even after 60 days all they require is for you to register it ( e-mail address)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I've been running 3 of those programs and seems to keep things clean at least for now.
I found another Avast called 4.8 Home Edition that isn't a trial program. I also run the Malawarebytes and CCleaner. Every time I close out the home page it automatically clears out the cache, which is Mozilla not IE btw. Then CCleaner is run before shutting down.
On the laptop, I've been trying Avira which seems to be OK as well.

http://download.cnet.com/Avira-Anti...ivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html?tag=lia;rcol

Something to keep in mind is not just the programs you listed, but where you download from. Make sure you download from a trusted site..like CNet. Just a personal opinion.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I read somewhere, don't remember where, that some of the free programs tell you that there is something there that is not. That's how they try to get you to buy the enhanced version to fix it.

Free is, well... free. You get what you pay for, blah blah blah and all that.

I have had folks tell me that I'm paying too much money for my Norton 360. They scoff at me paying for stuff they get for free. "You're just wasting money," they say, as their computer crashes.

I am not a computer whiz. I'm an average user, no programming skills. My computer runs nicely. I don't have issues. I don't have any virus's hidden anywhere. Most importantly, I don't have headaches.

Computing.gif

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well to be totally honest I went with AVG for about two months and during those two months I had more repeat customers with Trojan Horses and worms so I do NOT reccomend AVG any more. Someone here on the forum convinced me to try it, I did, I did not like it.

I download and install Avast when a person does not wish to pay for a virus solution. If you register it it is good for 14 months.

I also install and run Spybot Search and Destroy. If you install the resident client it will run all the time and warn you when any register changes are being made. That has saved a couple of people I know from virus issues along with their AV program.

The 2009 Norton's is the best product symantec has put out in the last 8 years. And I got it for 19.99 with a $20 mail in rebate for upgrade users. all you have to do is prove you had a prior version of AV software you bought. The last rebate I claimed I found an original Norton's floppy disk from 1990s and sent it in. I got a letter back with my rebate saying how funny they found it that I still had the floppy version of their program.

The MOST important link in the virus chain though is YOU! You need to be very careful when downloading files. NEVER open attachements you did not ask for from somone. If I get an email and it says "An e-card is attached or a word doc is attached or even a powerpoint slide show" I simply delete it. No email is worth the hassle and aggravation and lost time dealing with a trojan horse, worm or virus. An additional security measure you should employ is a good firewall.

Zone alarm has a good free version you should run something if on high speed connection.

Finally NEVER plug your computer directly into a modem provided to you by your broadband company unless it has a built in router. A router doesn't provide near the security it used to but it does offer an additional layer of network a hacker has to go through to get to your computer.

http://www.komando.com/tips/categories.aspx?cat=41

is a good reference page as well

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
stoney56 said:
I've been running 3 of those programs and seems to keep things clean at least for now.
I found another Avast called 4.8 Home Edition that isn't a trial program. I also run the Malawarebytes and CCleaner. Every time I close out the home page it automatically clears out the cache, which is Mozilla not IE btw. Then CCleaner is run before shutting down.
On the laptop, I've been trying Avira which seems to be OK as well.

http://download.cnet.com/Avira-Anti...ivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html?tag=lia;rcol

Something to keep in mind is not just the programs you listed, but where you download from. Make sure you download from a trusted site..like CNet. Just a personal opinion.

You make a good point. CNet is definately one of the best sites to download from. Thanks for mentioning that.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally just go to download.com (cnet) to get most of the prog's.

Ray, you might try (unless you have 64-bit Vista) to run a Boot-Time Scan by right-clicking on the Avast logo, then choose Start Avast! Antivirus... then once it starts, hit the top, left menu button and choose Schedule Boot-Time Scan... choose your options, then restart your computer!

Only do it if you've got time to piss around with and don't need to use your computer for an hour or two. But let that thing do it's job on your system, prior to windows (and possible viruses) starting, and it will kill those viruses before they even have a chance to load. It's probably the best feature on Avast! - IMO

I have Spyboy Search & Destroy, and some other adware/malware security programs... but I really don't use them, except when I run a full scan with all my programs about once every month or two.

I DO use Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition, which runs down on the start bar with my Avast! and keeps my computer free of trojans, viruses, and ad crap. I've been virus free, even in spite my heavy downloading tendencies, for the past two years.

Just as a reference for my programs....

Firefox 3 - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Avast Home Edition Free 4.8 - http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition-Free/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=mncol

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition 8.0 - http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Anniversary-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?tag=mncol

CCleaner 2.20 - http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Bran <><

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
At the risk of being locked up. I believe that a vast majority of the viruses and malware we see today are the direct result of people being paid by the various AV companies to come up with the stuff.

I mean if no one was making new viruses the companies would have no need to sell their product anymore.

Part of the proof of concept is that the government has been hiring hackers for a long time to hack other people's and countries' systems.

Oh well on to a different topic now....

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, ME...

Bran <><

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
godisnum1 said:
I normally just go to download.com (cnet) to get most of the prog's.

Ray, you might try (unless you have 64-bit Vista) to run a Boot-Time Scan by right-clicking on the Avast logo, then choose Start Avast! Antivirus... then once it starts, hit the top, left menu button and choose Schedule Boot-Time Scan... choose your options, then restart your computer!

Only do it if you've got time to piss around with and don't need to use your computer for an hour or two. But let that thing do it's job on your system, prior to windows (and possible viruses) starting, and it will kill those viruses before they even have a chance to load. It's probably the best feature on Avast! - IMO

I have Spyboy Search & Destroy, and some other adware/malware security programs... but I really don't use them, except when I run a full scan with all my programs about once every month or two.

I DO use Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition, which runs down on the start bar with my Avast! and keeps my computer free of trojans, viruses, and ad crap. I've been virus free, even in spite my heavy downloading tendencies, for the past two years.

Just as a reference for my programs....

Firefox 3 - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Avast Home Edition Free 4.8 - http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition-Free/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=mncol

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition 8.0 - http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Anniversary-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?tag=mncol

CCleaner 2.20 - http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Bran <><

Bran,

Avast did a Boot Time Scan. I believe that is what fixed a majority of the problems and permitted me to run the other utilities to clean up what was missed.

Thanks for your input.

Ray S

S

stefen

My personal solution is "APPLE"....unfortunately, our business uses PC's, which are targets...

1. Always use a security lock...
2. Don't let anyone else use the computer...
3. Don't open emails with attachments...
4. Stay away from sites that may be lethal...
5. Use Spam Filters...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh, you're welcome Tee :)
It really was no big deal... I just had a good time using that Remote Desktop program for the first time ever.
I just found it cool that I could be working directly on your PC (in Texas) all the way from Florida! That's pretty neat to me... ;D
Just remind me to get back on your computer so I can finish putting those other two programs on there for ya!

Bran <><

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been fooling around with computers since 1997 and the only antivirus programs I've used is Norton's. I manually update everytime I turn the 'puter on and am surprised at the number of updates that come in everyday. I've been to sites all over the world (some will remain nameless ;D) and the Norton's caught everything that's been thrown at me and destroyed them before they could get into the machine. One site threw 3 Trojans at me before the Homepage could fully load, but good ole Norton's caught them. I've NEVER had a destructive virus or Trojan get to my computer. I've had a few ride in on attachments or downloads, but as soon as they "turned on", Norton's stopped them and erased them. I just renewed to the 2009 Norton's and am more than satisfied. I always disable the "Automatic Update" so that I can do it manually and KNOW everything coming into my unit and I update 2 to5 times a day without fail.

I've also used Spybot and found it very useful. You do have to keep it updated, too, but it is freeware so no problem. After the update is done, you have to configure it to include the new info. Doesn't take long.

Anytime I need a freeware app (or THINK I do) I go to Komando.com to find one. Kim Komando checks out every app she recommends, so I know they're OK. She know her stuff. :thumbsup:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I personally use Comodo internet security something... A little annoying from time to time but works good. :)

Lil Nick

Mar 6, 2008
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
My personal solution is "APPLE"....unfortunately, our business uses PC's, which are targets...

I agree with you about Apple. Would not have anything else for personal use. A friend of mine who works on computers has been running linux on his pc's and loves it. He says he dosn't run any anti virus on his and has never had a problem. You can download linux system for free.

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
mastereagle22 said:
At the risk of being locked up. I believe that a vast majority of the viruses and malware we see today are the direct result of people being paid by the various AV companies to come up with the stuff.

I mean if no one was making new viruses the companies would have no need to sell their product anymore.

Part of the proof of concept is that the government has been hiring hackers for a long time to hack other people's and countries' systems.

Oh well on to a different topic now....
I heard Norton ...cough... ...cough... makes viruses only they can fix.
But somehow I don't think it is true.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Lil Nick said:

I agree with you about Apple. Would not have anything else for personal use. A friend of mine who works on computers has been running linux on his pc's and loves it. He says he dosn't run any anti virus on his and has never had a problem. You can download linux system for free.
\
Linux is free but comes in many varieties. This is because it is 'open source' programming.

If you can find one that suits your needs, go for it. It you just want to surf the net and look at your email it may be a a great program.

Ray S

S

Smee

Lots of solutions here - AVAST is one of the best. I use it to clean up when the "commercial" programs fail my customers.

Malwarebytes - another excellent program.

My favorite solution for safety on the web??? I run two operating systems. Windows for programs, and unless I'm taking a break from a project or at work, Linux (Ubuntu 9) for the internet. (Today I'm working, so taking a chance :help: )

The Linux software does not write to NTFS partitions (my pref in setting it up), and Windows does not write to the Linux partition . . . in fact it doesn't see the Linux partition as an active partition. It seed "unallocated space".

Dual booting is probably the best way to go. If one system goes down, you can access the internet with the other. You can download the programs you need for the damaged system, and burn them to a CD.

Another solution for Windows systems would be a "BartPE" live windows CD, and a CD of "Portable Apps" (designed to run from a CD without installation on your computer) such as current Antivirus programs, browsers, etc.

Have fun but remember: The script kiddies never sleep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread