Info on this button... Age?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this the other day at a house dating to 1890. A one piece flat button with a shield and the word CLEVELAND on it. It was found at a similar depth to a few finds that were around 1900 or so... so I'm guessing this button is about that old... From my experience, I thought flat buttons were a little older than this... although I'm sure there are exceptions. Does anyone have any information about this button regarding age? There does not appear to be any back mark. 131.JPG 137.JPG I googled Cleveland button and didn't really find anything. Maybe a more modern clothing button?

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks to be a campaign button for Grover Cleveland....1890s was his 2nd term. Sweet find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to be a campaign button for Grover Cleveland....1890s was his 2nd term. Sweet find!
It's funny you say that because that's exactly what my mother said when I showed it to her. It would be pretty cool if it was but I don't have the reference books for buttons that I would need to verify this. I googled Grover Cleveland buttons and nothing that looked even remotely like that came up.... ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you find it?
Found in a yard from a home that was built in 1890 in upstate NY. Found an 1899 barber half dollar about 25 feet from it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have checked both volumes of Railroad and Transit Buttons, as well as Albert's book , and I can't find a match for it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have checked both volumes of Railroad and Transit Buttons, as well as Albert's book , and I can't find a match for it.
Thanks very much for trying creskol. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I didnt find it on the Waterbury site either but my first thought was Cleveland Police. Is there something on the badge?

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I also just finished looking through Hughs & Lester's "Big Book of Buttons" but couldn't find it in there either.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt find it on the Waterbury site either but my first thought was Cleveland Police. Is there something on the badge?
There's no writing on the badge/shield. Three vertical stripes on the bottom...each of which consists of 4 thinner stripes. The top has either 8 or 9 stars.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a clearer picture of it. 136.JPG

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a beauty and a real stumper. I have exhausted my resources for an ID, but you might try sending a photo to the folks at: Cleveland Police Museum

They may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Good Luck and please let us know what you find out.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
do not forget the fire dept as well * and postal workers too --any uniformed city person -- might be the city "coat of arms" rather than a badge .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread