ljtreasure

Jun 6, 2020
England
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
XP orx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this lamb of god type medieval seal matrix today never had one come out of the ground so clean!
I'd normally have to spend all night picking out the crusty bits from the design :occasion14: 20200615_150912.jpg

Upvote 22

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice one.
Those shaped ones are always associated with the Church. Probably the vicar.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful find, congrats! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beauty you dug! Let us know what the inscription says and era when/if you find out. Congrats.

Just looked them up and found this bit of info.

Prior to the fifteenth century pointed oval designs, called vesica seals, were popular with noble women and also with high ranking ecclesiastics. The shape allowed room either to depict a full length standing figure of the owner, or alternatively to show scenes at two levels. Monastic seals often used the latter device, with a main, upper register depicting the monastery’s patron saint, and a small lower register in which the prior or abbot was shown praying. By the fifteenth century, vesica seals were somewhat out of fashion, but they still occur on documents, because monasteries in particular tended to continue using seal matrices made years - or sometimes centuries - earlier.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread