Insight needed regarding Water Moccasins and such

Yes, but they can be just as dangerous in other ways! (see below)

"This was the result of a Rattler bite which occurred in South Texas recently
during one of the "roundups", unsure exactly where. The bite was between the
thumb and forefinger.8)

Man...that's pretty nasty! I've come pretty darn close (unintentionally) to rattlesnakes before and they just rattled at me. I guess if you play with a snake...you're gonna get bit. :wink:

It is bad looking for snakes on land, but in the water is a serious problem. My advice to the man of #1, use a shot gun to shoot all the snakes that you see, and have a person with a 22 gun watching you as you dive in the water. No amount of treasures is worth dying for. Let us know how you make out.

ericwt said:
I am in need of ideas. I have a few target areas that need further investigation.

Here is the catch- it is about 8 feet underwater on a slow moving river. When I was surveying the area with the land owner I noticed there were several Water Moccasins or Cotton Mouths swiming around the area all up and down the river where I need to dive.

The six or so areas that I need to look at will take several days each to look at so there will be a few hours of witch I will be diving in the river each day. If we actually find something, recovery will take even longer.

I understand the snakes try to avoid people but I dont like to assume anything.

Any advise in either how to scare them away or at least protect myself with clothing or pading?

Thanks for any ideas.
I fish in a river inSE Texas where there are always water moccasins and copperheads. My son and I both have even seen the alligators in the water near us while we wade and jig the the brush. We have never been bothered by them. We aren't (normally) on the menu. The gators keep their distance and the snakes will flat out high-tail it. If you've never tried eating cottonmouth (dang tasty), try catching one when he thinks he might end up on the menu.

It's not the ones you do see that you have to worry about. I have nearly stepped on them many times out in the woods and while walking on rocky terrain but, I have NEVER had a close call in the water. My $.02 USD. Good luck.

Don't know what you are looking for, but it would be safer to look from the boat.
Some ideas would be if it is in iron, try dragging a magnet or using a magnetometer.
If not in iron, maybe try dragging a net, maybe you could collect the snakes thatp
way also. How about an underwater viewer with a light. Just some thoughts.s
Then of course back to your problem if you can locate it. Maybe a back hoe once
you locate it?
Good Luck,
Rich

Ok let me help you on a few things on snakes. First by correcting some falsehoods above.

True--Cottonmouths are territorial which means they stand their ground. They warn you by tightening up and opening their mouth wide and showing their bright white inner mouth that stands out brilliantly against their darker outter body. Many snakes run away and so to will the cottonmouth at times. On land mostly they will try to give you this fair warning because they arent fast on land. In water they cant do this so they typically panic and run when threatened in water. Sometimes they will run for the nearest dry object which means your canoe. This doesnt mean they are attacking you or the canoe but it often means this animal with a pea size brain is just trying to escape. That being said having one in a canoe with you isnt safe either.

False--Cottonmouths swarm or are found together. Well wouldnt that make the territorial fact not work? They arent just territorial towards humans duh. They dont much like other snakes and competition either unless they view them as dinner. So chances are if you are seeing a lot of snakes in a small area you are seeing something other than cotton mouths.

False-- 6 to 8 feet long cotton mouths. The longest ever recorded was barely over 6 feet. This is a rarity in cotton mouths. They rarely ever see 4 feet because they are a wide growing snake instead of a long growing one. A 5 footer would be as wide as a 12 foot python where as a non poisonous banded water snake that is 5 foot would be only slightly wider than a common garden hose.

False--Copperheads in a river or pond. Not sure who mentioned that but this is very rare. Copperheads like rock, and holes, and logs and forest areas. They will venture to a creek during a dry summer to find water if there is no standing pools to drink from after a raid but copperheads ARE NOT water snakes in anyway shape or form. This is what people call banded water snakes when they see a water snake because they are afraid of all snakes, therefore all water snakes must be poisonous. False.

Here is some easily found info you can back up by googling it. Many water snakes including the brown water snake, the banded water snake all varieties, and several other water snakes LOOK a lot like cotton mouths. Their colors can be at times identical, their patterns very very similar and their habits "in water" identical. So how does one tell the difference safely?

1)The cottonmouth is a pit viper. A pit viper has poison sacs in what you would call his cheeks. This gives his head a spade shape. Non poisonous snakes do not have this therefore dont appear to have cheeks.

2)The point of the pit vipers nose does not slope downward. It comes out to a point even to its eyes whereas a non poisonous snakes nose will be rounded downward and come to a point lower than his eyes. Of course you got to get a little to close to tell this feature.

3)Cotton mouths grow wider than they do long. If you see what appears to be a short yet wide snake in or around the water that might just be the one to leave alone. If its 4 foot long or longer and looks like a cotton mouth but is as big around as a garden hose its a non poisonous water snake. The only skinny part of an adult cottonmouth is the last couple inches of his tail. A really big cottonmouth's tail is comical to look at as seen here. http://www.itsnature.org/favicon.ico

4)Colors and Patterns--this is where the problems exist. There are many types of water snakes that have similar color shades and similar patterns to cotton mouths. This is why people use the term "Water moccasin" to describe water snakes because they have no idea what exact snake they see swimming actually is. When someone screams "omg water moccasin" what they are saying is "oh no im terrified of snakes and they are all poisonous so im going to panic for no good reason".

Here are some pictures of Water snakes poisonous and non poisonous. At first glance they all can be mistaken as "Water Moccasins" lol. But if you use the above info, not just descriptions, but how does the snake act and live. You can go out there, take some pictures, and make an educated non fear induced decision on weather to swim or not.

Cottonmouth.....http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ3KJe-VMK_tpBQgYOshKAs9Z0x5NGigqYTZahm2ioitvmAJpn

Banded water snake.....http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPAUTx-B6Y3lavuVbtBOZFfc3ciD-mWchoInU7WeAqYS0g-YG_5w

Brown Water snake.....http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuPckGkb4ttBpApkp-s8fFCF8mjnNjxzQXBS0PDsKB9PgoxLh4

As you can see they sure do look similar and if they were in water its even tougher to tell. But the fact you saw lots of snakes in the same area tells me you have more social species and not cotton mouths. Doesnt mean there arent some there, always be wary. But its highly unlikely there are lots of them, and even more unlikely they are going to do anything to you but run when they encounter you.

copperheads / water moc / cotton mouths are as far as snakes go ARE MUCH MORE AGRESSIVE , than other dangerous snakes in general are -- most venomous snakes will slip away from you if given a chance and not cornered and trapped - penned in -- HOWEVER these will often approach and "get in yer face" in a attempt to pressure you to leave "their" area --they are highly territorial in my neck of the woods -- NE florida about 25 miles from the huge okeefenokee swamp near the florida / georgia border area. ---and brother we do get some huge snakes in these parts -- 6 ft big as your arm around eastern diamondback rattlersare common here as are smaller ( but highly toxic) canebreak rattlers , coral snakes too (thankfully their mouths are very small so you are not liable to get bit by one unless your playing with it like a damn fool)--as well as lots of poisonious copperheads and water mocs /cotton mouths --- I avoid em in the wild --but if seen on MY property * I kill ALL poisonious snakes on sight -- 12 gauge with # 6 ---. 22 to the head --or good old garden hoe to lop the head off. --- I have used a machete in a pinch.

look for a triangle shaped head -- dangerous snakes heads are shaped differantly --

I like the blacksnakes, anything else is going to die if it gets close. I have found that my .45 long colt (The Judge) is one of the best snake killers out there...it chambers a .410 shotgun shell in two different Liengths...I got the one that shoots even the magnums and use the bird shot. Sure is easier to pack than a shotgun. Best gun for home defence too-but put 00 in there...the lawbreaker will get hit for sure. I space the shells every other one a .45 just in case. I knew a guy down in Lousiana that got struck by a Cotton Mouth underwater while swimming...had the worst scar you can imagine on his leg...most of the muscle was gone. So get a Judge, have someone wathc for you, go in the winter and be watchful just in case.

:icon_thumright: I will 10-4 on the Judge. I have one with a 3" chambers and love it. I keep 3" #9 bird shot in snake country. Wafer with 12 BB's. My two legged snake round is 245 grain hollow point with 6 grains of bullseye powder. A stiff round. :icon_thumleft: :wav:

yup, an aggresive snake. they must be born mad. so I would dive only in cold weather. but you gotta be aware even then. couple yrs ago we had a "warm" spell in Feb, & found one sunning itself on a rock. don't forget they hang out in trees too, & will drop in the boat.
good luck.

Ok ya got me. what can I say, snakes freak me out so much I forgot to look at the date. you guyz need to find another way to be entertained.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back