Inspired non-magnetic 'Super pan' build

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After a talk with Elvisā€¦ā€¦LOL :walk: :wav:ā€¦.see the attached photo of me talking to Elvis.

I got very lucky at an Estate sale and found a non-magnetic stainless steel lid that is 24ā€ in size. Iā€™m thinking it would make an excellent ā€˜Super panā€™.

Looking for some ideas on how to mount on some linear drawer ball-bearing glides for some ā€˜whole lot of shaking going on actionā€™ā€¦ā€¦lol.

Iā€™m thinking of between 8ā€ ā€“ 12ā€ stroke action for the ā€˜Super panā€™. The speed will be around 1 to 1 1/2 strokes per second.

Attachments

• Ordanary joe applying Super extra effort then everyone else standing in the same line..jpg
    Ordanary joe applying Super extra effort then everyone else standing in the same line..jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Non magnectic SS kettle lid top.jpg
    Non magnectic SS kettle lid top.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Non magnectic SS kettle lid bottom.jpg
    Non magnectic SS kettle lid bottom.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got inspired again and picked up used for almost nothing the following type of chair. The under carriage lift mechanism is almost perfect for tilting the ā€˜Super panā€™. I will use the power screw motor mechanism for another project I will build.

Something like this chair Electric Power Lift Chair for Elderly with Massage, Oversized Living Room Recliner with Remote Control, and Side Pockets

https://www.target.com/p/homcom-ele...s/-/A-90653128?preselect=87935381#lnk=sametab

Last edited:
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will post a picture of the striped lift chair mechanism next for lift and tilt action to quickly remove the ragging's and or tailings after each water cycle use.
Since the stainless steel is non-magnetic some magnets should speed up the catching some of the black sands for a quick removal when the magnets are taken away from the steel.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Time for some rough layout pictures of the general foundation with the lid and screw jack motor just laying there in place.

Attachments

• SS lid laying on top of chair lift.jpg
    SS lid laying on top of chair lift.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 11
  • chair lift down and screw motor drive.jpg
    chair lift down and screw motor drive.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • chair lift up position top.jpg
    chair lift up position top.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 11
  • chair lift up position with screw drive laying there 2.jpg
    chair lift up position with screw drive laying there 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • chair lift up position with ss lid.jpg
    chair lift up position with ss lid.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • chair lift with ss lid front side.jpg
    chair lift with ss lid front side.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 11
  • chair lift with ss lid up position side.jpg
    chair lift with ss lid up position side.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking the rows of magnets on the underside will have to be moved after each cycle of removing tailings / waste materials or after each shake down cycle.
What do you think?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you checked to see if the screw-jack moves fast enough for your needs? My wife has one of those chairs, and it's not a real fast mover.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you checked to see if the screw-jack moves fast enough for your needs? My wife has one of those chairs, and it's not a real fast mover.
Way to slow for this project however very good for the sheer weight of the next project in the planning stages (200 - 300lbs.).

This is the reason I removed the mount pins from the screw-jack and just had it laying there for reference to how the mechanized assembly is powered. I will take a fast car jack that I will attach a cordless drill to crank up and down or better yet just lift by hand to different block stops for different angles in about 1 - 2 seconds of time per angle change. The amount of weight in the pan will determine the method used. The starting weight of the pan may be as high as 100 - 165lbs. to start with.

The 'Super pan lid' was not cheap however very low cost compared to new commercial stainless steel kettle lid making it one of the best investments as far as 'Mining' production super fines returns goes. Compared to buying a English wheel and buying new non-magnetic stainless steel this was a 'Steel of a deal at a estate sale'............ :laughing7: :cat:............(Pun intended,,,:headbang:)

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The biggest factor here going for the 'Super pan' is that there is almost no feed issues as the pan is working with a given batch. The second big factor is the large hydraulic spread out of the fine materials due to the long strokes and fast dropout of the heavies. Perhaps only 4 - 10 seconds may be needed for each shaking cycle step.

The down side is there is more manual removal of the ragging's and tailings however this can also speed up the process by up to 50% removal rate per cycle.

If one is looking for gem stones in the same process the stones will be included in the ragging's removal steps.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If one is "Mining" in a area deposit that has about as much super fines as the courser values like around here. One may want to try the HF air powered paint shaker with dry materials in a can to 'fluid bed shake down' for say 3 minutes then just dump the bottom 1" or less of the can straight into the 'Super pan' with little to no classifying and let the 'Super pan' carry out most of the classifying for you in the shake down panning process. I'm going to add a row or two of magnets in the panning process.

There will be some loss however how much is your time worth?
A centrifuge process step added should catch much of these losses.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It should be interesting to see how much force there is moving say 125lbs. back and forth in a 6"- 12" path. May have to pin some logs to the base to stop the dancing movement..

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To much winter storms now to do much on the project. However got expandable legs that expand to around 6' wide to mount the 'Super pan' lift base onto. The ends of the legs will be lag screwed to 2 logs or timbers that will be leveled to the ground.
This should reduce the dance around and hopefully stop of the movement of the whole unit going back and forth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is not just the pan weight it is also the motor that is around 45lbs. and the platform to mount it on all moving back and forth.
Looks like a car jack is going to be needed much of the time to lift the assembly pan.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it is to wet and stormy to work outside. Just thinking what if the chair lift assembly is on caster wheels and is used like a 'Forklift' to travel under the 'Super pan' only for the purpose of lifting and tilting the 'Super pan' after a good shake time.

This would mean there is really two builds here one is the 'Chair lift and tilt assembly' the other is just for the shaking process. Much cleaner process making two different builds.

The shaker assembly could be solid build just attached to two leveled logs on the ground when operating. Some wheels could help one move on to a trailer / dolly to move around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got to thinking about some jacks and remembered one used one from you guested it a Estate sale that has both a high and low speed cranks and is scissor style for cars and light trucks. Should work well with the high speed crank. Will try to take a photo latter to post.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the scissor jack idea works fairly well I may incorporate into another 'Super pan' idea.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I see you in the white jumper, but where is Elvis? :D

After a talk with Elvisā€¦ā€¦LOL :walk: :wav:ā€¦.see the attached photo of me talking to Elvis.

I got very lucky at an Estate sale and found a non-magnetic stainless steel lid that is 24ā€ in size. Iā€™m thinking it would make an excellent ā€˜Super panā€™.

Looking for some ideas on how to mount on some linear drawer ball-bearing glides for some ā€˜whole lot of shaking going on actionā€™ā€¦ā€¦lol.

Iā€™m thinking of between 8ā€ ā€“ 12ā€ stroke action for the ā€˜Super panā€™. The speed will be around 1 to 1 1/2 strokes per second.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got to thinking about some jacks and remembered one used one from you guested it a Estate sale that has both a high and low speed cranks and is scissor style for cars and light trucks. Should work well with the high speed crank. Will try to take a photo latter to post.
See the attached photos of two jacks that are two speed. These are hard to find now so I only have these two. I think I will use the well used jack for this build. This jack can lift the end of a van with little trouble / effort.
Two hundred lbs. pan load with a cordless drill should lift quickly.

Attachments

• Scissor jacks 2 speed front.jpg
    Scissor jacks 2 speed front.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Scissor jacks 2 speed top.jpg
    Scissor jacks 2 speed top.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I got a heavy 0-70RPM DC motor with controller however until there is the crank assembly / pulley and connecting rod machined and welded this project will not go any further. I don't see this happening anytime soon.
I may post some photos however will just focus on the chair lift / pan tilter assembly first.
Life happens along the way as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread