Insteresting start to CRHg...

apixelintime

Greenie
Oct 5, 2011
Insteresting start to CRH'g...

So yesterday I decided that this looked like a fun thing to do. I had $40 in my wallet so I thought I would get 4 rolls of halves... Or so I thought. I have not found a bank yet that stocks rolls of halves, but this morning before a Dr appointment I hopped into the bank that was next door and asked. Nope - "we dont have any half dollars"... The next teller heard this and said: "I have some loose in my drawer is you want them, I have $10 worth." I was about to turn him down when I looked over his counter to edge surf them and saw 2 silvers... Got them all to search for keys and rares as well.

1 - '66
1 - '68

Pretty good day and a decent start to this!

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Insteresting start to CRH'g...

apixelintime said:
So yesterday I decided that this looked like a fun thing to do. I had $40 in my wallet so I thought I would get 4 rolls of halves... Or so I thought. I have not found a bank yet that stocks rolls of halves, but this morning before a Dr appointment I hopped into the bank that was next door and asked. Nope - "we dont have any half dollars"... The next teller heard this and said: "I have some loose in my drawer is you want them, I have $10 worth." I was about to turn him down when I looked over his counter to edge surf them and saw 2 silvers... Got them all to search for keys and rares as well.

1 - '66
1 - '68

I recommend always taking them all when offered loose halves. In the off chance that Teller doesn't know silver, you might teach Teller about silver by being selective in the loose ones you take.

Congrats on the finds.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

madwest said:

I recommend always taking them all when offered loose halves. In the off chance that Teller doesn't know silver, you might teach Teller about silver by being selective in the loose ones you take.

Congrats on the finds.

+1. I always buy any and all loose halves when tellers have them. I get a lot of keepers that way.

Warning: This hobby can be addictive. :)

Good luck and HH

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

when you ask for loose halves always buy all that you are offered as stated above. If they are rolled and you can tell they are dumps just play it off like you only want factory rolls or sealed boxes.

Lawrence

Sep 27, 2011
MA, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only silver half I've scored in the wild was from a teller tray. A lot of tellers pick through them, though, so it's good luck when you can get one like that.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

madwest said:
apixelintime said:

1 - '66
1 - '68

Congrats on the finds.

+1.

When offered loose halves, buy them all.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010

Nice score !! Buy every half the teller has. I picked up my 2 boxes yesterday , and they said they had $400 in rolls. I thought they would be a dump, and i was right. But you have to take the chance. Good luck and HH.

OP
OP
A

apixelintime

Greenie
Oct 5, 2011

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, he had 20 halves and I did get them all... in them there were also a couple of 72d's and a 74d. Did not have my glasses with me so I have them seperated out till I can get to them with better eyes. Interestingly enough, on my way home yesterday, I stopped off at a BOA branch and the teller said that someone was just there an hour before me and cleaned them out... Oh well... There are a TON of banks very close to where I live... Given that I am not up to boxes yet, they are all players in my game!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI

What I do is order boxes so I get one per day. I open it and dump to get cash for next box.

In addition I smurf (my term), I go to the drive thru on banks in my route from home to office etc. I usually get none or maybe 1-40 halves per bank. I may get all skunk or I may get 1-2 silver halves usually 1966-1969. I also keep NIFC (not intended for circulation: 1987, 2002-present) and Proof coins.

If asked, I tell tellers that my 4 kids and I collect coins (the truth). I never mention silver, politics or religion and always say please and thank you.

OP
OP
A

apixelintime

Greenie
Oct 5, 2011

MIhunter said:
What I do is order boxes so I get one per day. I open it and dump to get cash for next box.
This is a great idea. I need to find a dump bank...

MIhunter said:
In addition I smurf (my term), I go to the drive thru on banks in my route from home to office etc.
Like the term Smurf... I don't understand the reference but I like it!

MIhunter said:
If asked, I tell tellers that my 4 kids and I collect coins (the truth). I never mention silver, politics or religion and always say please and thank you.

It is interesting what a little politeness will get you! Thanks for the tips!!

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MIhunter said:
In addition I smurf (my term), I go to the drive thru on banks in my route from home to office etc.

Smurf? You don't remember the blue Papa Smurf and the rest of the Smurfs? Well, I never really watched that cartoon, but smurf stuff was all over the place. I even had a blue Chevelle that my friends called the Smurf-mobile.

OP
OP
A

apixelintime

Greenie
Oct 5, 2011

Scott (Mich) said:
MIhunter said:

Smurf? You don't remember the blue Papa Smurf and the rest of the Smurfs? Well, I never really watched that cartoon, but smurf stuff was all over the place. I even had a blue Chevelle that my friends called the Smurf-mobile.

I remember Smurf's the cartoon. I don't understand the reference of calling 'going-through-drive-up-tellers' as Smurfing or to smurf...

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI

Well the US govt banned large scale sales of sudafed to stem the tide of illegal meth labs, the meth cooks responded by sending out armies of addicts to go store to store buying as much sudafed as the pharmcist would sell. The havesting of sudafed from many individual drug stores is called smurfing. (I saw it on a PBS Frontline episode)
I consider it similar to what I do because, I go from bank to bank buying as many halves as they will sell me in order to feed my addiction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread