Insuring collectables

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone here have collectible insurance? My renters insurance doesn't cover all of my collections so I am looking into collectible insurance. I thought I'd ask some questions here before calling any companies so I won't have to deal with pushy sales people.
Do I need an appraisal for each and everything I want covered?
Does it cover theft, loss, damage, etc?
Does the insurance company need to be notified everytime I add to or take from my collections?
What other questions do I need to ask when I do call?
Any recommendations for insurance companies?

Thanks in advance

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I got mine through my bank Credit Suisse; they where great and even showed me exactly how I could cut down in cost in some areas by vaulting some of my items there with them. My collectables, or what they would consider Ultra High Valuables are mainly in paper form but a few weapons as well.

They did inspect all the items, many of them they accept appraisals I already had on hand, other ones they needed to appraise them selves. If you have items considered Priceless, then it gets really tricky, Priceless often means one of a kind or last one known in existence, in regards to paper this normally means a pay off cap of 250K, which is total crap because some paper items run clear into ten of millions, but if such a transaction was not made in the past 25 years then they get to pick the cap. I have a few of these items, ones that I have picked up here and there from places that had no idea what it was, often paid pennies, but clearly I do not want it resolved for that.

Restoration due to damages is really interesting, they pay up to 940 bucks per page per side. I have had some seriously messed up stuff restored and never paid more than 480 per side.

Weapons are much easier to deal with that books, manuscripts, maps and folios; weapons are graded by era, condition, value and functional of course. But anything older than 1782 is when it gets tricky but still not as bad as paper.

If you need contact details for Credit Suisse I would be happy t provide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread