Insuring your finds?

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the collections forum, but not a lot of traffic there, so tying it here. Does anyone here have collectible insurance? My renters insurance doesn't cover everything I need it to (my treasures). Before I call a collectible specific insurance company, I'd like to know what others think of it. Does it cover damage, theft etc.? As I add to and sell off stuff, how up-to-date do I need to keep my inventory list? Are there any questions I should be asking the ins. company? Recommendations for companies would be great also. Thanks in advance.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, I wish I had that problem. Insuring my detecting gear makes more sense for me.

Usually the best place to start is asking your current insurer about a rider policy. Have a very specific list of what you want to insure, its value and what you want to insure it against (theft, fire, etc). I'd be surprised if they didn't offer you a quote. You might even want to start the conversation with "here's a list of items I want to be sure are currently covered under my present policy" and then go from there. I bet you find that your collection is already insured up to some cutoff value and doing a rider would be a simple matter for them. But still shop around, of course.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk to your home insurance company. Tell them what you want, and ask them how to put the rider on your existing coverage. OR, get a safe, which in the long run is a lot cheaper. :skullflag:

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Champ. I've already discussed this with my agent, and found just what is covered and what they can't cover. Collectible insurance does seem to be reasonable. About $55 a year for $10,000 in coverage.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda curious and just tell me if I am being too nosey, but what do you have to insure that an insurance company doesn't typically cover?

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda curious and just tell me if I am being too nosey, but what do you have to insure that an insurance company doesn't typically cover?

Cowboy stuff. Tack and western Americana. Some of it I use and that is covered by my renters. I have a rider that covers my firearms and a certain limit on collectables. I'm looking into something that covers ALL of the more valuable and collectible stuff without a huge deductible.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotcha. You should be able to get that covered with a bit of shopping. Sorry I cant advise further tho. Good Luck!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you have any gold I will be happy to take care of it for you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread