What's new

Intact 57 snider bullet

Lord Verdigris

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2014
Messages
3,935
Reaction score
9,274
Golden Thread
2
Location
East coast Canada
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's holding up well for the big split in the side. (:
 

Attachments

  • image-900156243.webp
    image-900156243.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 220
  • image-4285201955.webp
    image-4285201955.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 235
  • image-3120607829.webp
    image-3120607829.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 213
The Snider is BIG black powder cartridge. It was used as the base cartridge for the .577-.450 Martini-Henry. Love the old British guns. I own a 1886 Martini-Henry MK IV in excellent condition. I generally shoot it once or twice a week.
 
The Snider is BIG black powder cartridge. It was used as the base cartridge for the .577-.450 Martini-Henry. Love the old British guns. I own a 1886 Martini-Henry MK IV in excellent condition. I generally shoot it once or twice a week.
That would be fun. I washed it up to clean the mud off before and It still had black powder coming out of the split. I think there is a tiny bit left because you can here it shake inside. (:
 
Be careful of the primer, also. Probably won't go off, but the old primers were mercury based. Best thing to do is set it up as a display somewhere that it won't get hot, and tell stories of how you found it! And don't let kids handle it.
 
Martini-Henry Cartridge.webp

.577-.450 Martini-Henry cartridge for comparison.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom