Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a four hour chunk of time out hunting in my new favorite section of woods. The finds varied greatly: a 1978 Canadian quarter, 1899 IHP, 1935 Wheatie, some harness buckles ( maybe?), an intact colonial period shoe buckle, and a mystery coin. The buckle is lovely, and only the second one that I have found in one piece. The coin is a stumper. At first I thought it was a dandy button. But after closer examination, I think its a coin. You can see a faint profile of a man facing left in the picture. It looks like someone shot the coin, based on its warped shape, and the divot in the center. If anyone has some ideas about what the coin may be, please let me know. Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 055.JPG
    Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 055.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 059.JPG
    Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 059.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 060.JPG
    Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 060.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 062.JPG
    Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 062.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 065.JPG
    Intact shoe buckle 6 24 16 065.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 22
Definite profile, it's an older copper. I'm color blind so that's all I can tell from the pics.

George II Halfpenny 1740-1754. That's a damn nice buckle!

That is a smoking hot shoe buckle! My goodness. It probably dates somewhere from the time of that coin to the 1790's.

They don't get better than that! Congrats

Dude that shoe buckle is incredible. I'd love to see some more close ups. Hell yeah

Love the shoe buckle. I found a frame like that once but it was missing the tongue and chape. I agree with the KGII ID on the coin.

Fantastic buckle, congrats! Sub 8-)

very very nice buckle, sweet digs!

Congratualtions on the beautiful buckle! :occasion14:

That buckle is a work of art. Probably worn by someone of influence or wealth. You could soak that buckle overnight then run it in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and the detail would really show through. Congrats!

Man that buckle grabbed my attention instantly, it's a great find congrats

What a buckle

I would invest some considerable amount of time on that site.
With coppers and a buckle like that one , yep that's where I would be.
Congrats

THAT'S NOT A SHOE BUCKLE_______________THAT IS THE KING OF ALL SHOE BUCKLES !!! :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your help in identifying the coin, and all of the kind words! Even though you can't see a date, it still ranks as my oldest dug coin. I've included some close-ups of the buckle for Ahab8.close up shots of buckle 6 25 16 001.JPGclose up shots of buckle 6 25 16 002.JPGclose up shots of buckle 6 25 16 003.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back