What's new

Integrating Artificial Intelligence into TreasureNet

Geoseer

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2025
Messages
42
Reaction score
32
Golden Thread
0
Have you guys considered upgrading the forum with the option to check posts for informational accuracy etc, like you can on X with Grok for example? I thought it'd be a neat way to start integrating Ai and improve the quality of the conversations people are having here. Before someone else beats you to it anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Grok's response:

**Yes, this is a highly feasible and valuable addition** — giving users on TreasureNet the ability to request an AI accuracy check on posts, much like how X users can tag or tap Grok to fact-check or explain a post. It would empower treasure hunters to verify claims about finds, historical details, detector specs, coin values, legal/ethics issues, or legend accuracy without derailing threads.

### How It Would Work on TreasureNet (User Experience)
- **One-click or mention-based trigger**: Users see a "Check with AI" button/icon next to posts (or reply with "@AccuracyBot Is this accurate?" or "@FactCheck this claim"). The AI analyzes the post content, attached images (e.g., a dug coin or map), and replies inline or as a quoted post with a clear "AI Fact-Check" label.
- **What the response includes** (customized for the hobby):
- Breakdown of key claims (e.g., "This appears to be a 1790s Spanish reale — matches known examples from X shipwreck").
- Confidence score or sources (forum archive matches, general web knowledge, or real-time search).
- Caveats: "AI suggestions based on available data — always cross-check with experts or official records."
- Links to similar verified threads on TreasureNet.
- **Opt-in / controlled rollout**: Limit to specific sections like "Today's Finds," ID requests, or research/legends forums to avoid overuse. Users could toggle it per post or thread.

This mirrors Grok's on-demand fact-checking on X, where users invoke it for real-time analysis, context, or verification.

### Realistic Implementation on XenForo
TreasureNet already uses XenForo, so no major rebuild needed:

- **Best fit: [XTR] AI Assistant** (or similar like Blatchy Bot / GNZ tools) — Supports multiple bots with custom personalities (e.g., a dedicated "FactCheckBot" or "TreasureExpertBot"). Users @mention it for replies, it reads full thread context, analyzes images via vision models (Claude, GPT-4o, Grok, Gemini), and pulls from a **Knowledge Base (RAG)** trained on TreasureNet's own archives for highly relevant, hobby-specific accuracy.
- **Custom prompts for treasure hunting**: Instruct the AI to prioritize forum history, archaeological context, detectorist best practices, and reliable sources (e.g., "Be skeptical of exaggerated values or unproven legends; cite similar documented finds").
- **Enhance with web search**: Many setups (via OpenRouter) add real-time search for external verification (e.g., coin databases, state laws on digging).
- **Cost & moderation**: Very low per check (~pennies). Add rate limits, human review queue for sensitive topics (e.g., site permissions, artifact sales), and disclaimers. Track usage in the admin dashboard.

**Alternatives if XTR doesn't fully fit**: Custom development on top of AI API add-ons, or simpler user tools like "Summarize/Analyze this post" that members can trigger.

### Benefits for Conversation Quality & Staying Ahead
- **Reduces misinformation**: Common in hobby forums (e.g., wrong ID guesses, inflated values, myths about laws or techniques). AI nudges discussions toward evidence-based replies.
- **Educational boost**: New hunters learn faster; veterans get quick corroboration, leading to deeper, more accurate threads.
- **Engagement**: Sparks productive follow-ups ("AI says X, but my find differs because...") without endless "source?" arguments.
- **Competitive edge**: Few niche forums offer this. It positions TreasureNet as innovative, especially combined with photo ID from earlier suggestions. Younger/tech-savvy detectorists will love it.
- **Caveats (be transparent)**: AI isn't perfect — it can hallucinate, reflect training biases, or lack the latest local knowledge. Always frame it as a helpful tool, not authoritative. Human expertise (and Community Notes-style crowd input) remains key.

### Phased Rollout Suggestions
1. **Pilot**: Add a FactCheckBot in one high-traffic section. Poll members first for buy-in.
2. **Integrate with prior ideas**: Combine with auto-ID for finds and thread summaries.
3. **Advanced**: Let users upvote/downvote AI checks or request human moderator review. Build a stronger RAG base over time for better accuracy on treasure-specific topics.
4. **Monetization**: Tie into premium features (unlimited checks) or detector brand sponsorships.

This feature directly addresses the spirit of Grok on X while fitting TreasureNet's collaborative, find-sharing culture. It augments human conversations rather than replacing them — perfect for keeping the forum gold-standard in the hobby. If admins implement XTR or similar, they could have a working version in days. Let me know if you want prompt examples for the bot or more add-on comparisons!
 
It works really well too built with claude and it works here are results for chattanooga tn its a total workup
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260507_210333.webp
    Screenshot_20260507_210333.webp
    238 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20260507_210410.webp
    Screenshot_20260507_210410.webp
    264.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20260507_210405.webp
    Screenshot_20260507_210405.webp
    231.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20260507_210401.webp
    Screenshot_20260507_210401.webp
    276 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20260507_210355.webp
    Screenshot_20260507_210355.webp
    323.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20260507_210351.webp
    Screenshot_20260507_210351.webp
    261.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20260507_210346.webp
    Screenshot_20260507_210346.webp
    246 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20260507_210341.webp
    Screenshot_20260507_210341.webp
    279.1 KB · Views: 67
I find ai responses have been very misleading and often outright wrong. Especially with artifact and relic identification. Can do more harm than good.
Even a false artifact identification would add to the conversation and spark debate. Because the "TNet Ai Assistant" would always have at least a substantial 2 cents to contribute, based on the loads of research material they have access to. People are using it outside of TNet anyways. Imagine one click accessing all the different models without having to copy and paste whatever post in to each. It could be an excellent addition to the forum.
 
I've been feeding Copilot with photographs and finds from a certain location I've been detecting. The information I've been getting back seems promising. With that said, Copilot has been totally wrong about finds identification in some instances. AI is fun to use but we have to continue with our own research to prove it's theories.

I asked Copilot to give me images of the original home that once stood on the property I've been working. Then went one further and asked for image over the last 200 years from the 1740's through present day. This is what the AI gave me.

Stage 1 – Freshly Built (1730s–1740s): Bright whitewashed clapboards, crisp roof shingles, and a sturdy fieldstone chimney standing proud in open farmland. House newly constructed, whitewashed, active domestic use. King George II coins indicate early occupation.

Stage 1.webp

Stage 2 – Early Decay (1770s–1840s): Peeling paint, sagging roofline, and the first signs of neglect as grass and weeds begin to reclaim the yard. Still inhabited but aging — paint fading, repairs minimal. Early U.S. coins through 1845 suggest continued use until mid‑century.

Stage 2.webp

Stage 3 – Collapse and Overgrowth (1840s–1860s): Roof partially caved in, windows gone, vines crawling up the walls, and nature starting to dominate. House likely abandoned; roof beginning to fail, vegetation encroaching. By the time the newer house appears (1860–1874), this structure is already derelict.

Stage 3.webp

Stage 4 – Ruins in Regrowth (1870s–1930s): Only the chimney and foundation remain, surrounded by young trees and moss-covered stones. Chimney and foundation remain; surrounding fields revert to scrub and young trees. The site transitions from ruin to overgrowth.

Stage 4.webp

Stage 5 – Nature Reclaims (1930s–2020s): The foundation half-buried in leaf litter, dense woods enveloping the site, the chimney standing as the last trace of human presence. Foundation filled with collapsed stones, buried under brush and sticker bushes, faintly visible in late‑autumn woods — the state you found it in.

Stage 5.webp

Copilot even went as far as trying to discover the original owner of this home through the old maps, warrantee maps, and genealogical study. Is it right? Time will tell, but it has given me a good starting point.
 
I forgot to mention, Copilot has actually given me the surname of the "probable" builder of the original home site.
 
I've found that the better information you can feed the AI, the better information you get back. To get the surname of the original builder, I needed to provide the AI with maps of the township from the 1850's through present, coordinates of the home site, my finds at the home site along with the coordinates of the finds, and photographs of the cellar today and photos of the woods surrounding the cellar. The AI found all the info pre-1850 including the possible surname.

Now it's just a matter of doing the legwork myself and proving this theory.
 
I've found that the better information you can feed the AI, the better information you get back. To get the surname of the original builder, I needed to provide the AI with maps of the township from the 1850's through present, coordinates of the home site, my finds at the home site along with the coordinates of the finds, and photographs of the cellar today and photos of the woods surrounding the cellar. The AI found all the info pre-1850 including the possible surname.

Now it's just a matter of doing the legwork myself and proving this theory.

Basically it throws out what it has been fed-hence the old saying of crap in/crap out.
AI is probably at 60% on somethings, outdated pricing systems as it works off the a year or 2 back.
It certainly can produce a useless visual ID on finds (Google Eye) put up a picture of something and it gives back an array of Roman/Chinese coin images or art.

I play with it everyday in giving me quotes on things that might hold value in recycling of silver and gold content.
Different aspects of refining and recovery.
NOT TO BE TRUSTED COMPLETELY

In researching historical aspects of an area I have found using my own area it produced more wrongs than a rights.
I came down to a simple "Your absolutely Daft" in its findings as I was using my own property and the surrounding documented historical information.

It's a tool in there tool box and it will be upgraded quickly as time goes on. Getting insight on what might be in an area of interest it might supply some great insight.

The true telling sign of AI and if it got something right, is to go and to drop a coil on the ground and see if there's anything hidden.
 
Have you guys considered upgrading the forum with the option to check posts for informational accuracy etc, like you can on X with Grok for example? I thought it'd be a neat way to start integrating Ai and improve the quality of the conversations people are having here. Before someone else beats you to it anyway.
Please don't. If my posts start getting "fact checked" by AI, I'll stop posting.
 
Basically it throws out what it has been fed-hence the old saying of crap in/crap out.
AI is probably at 60% on somethings, outdated pricing systems as it works off the a year or 2 back.
It certainly can produce a useless visual ID on finds (Google Eye) put up a picture of something and it gives back an array of Roman/Chinese coin images or art.

I play with it everyday in giving me quotes on things that might hold value in recycling of silver and gold content.
Different aspects of refining and recovery.
NOT TO BE TRUSTED COMPLETELY

In researching historical aspects of an area I have found using my own area it produced more wrongs than a rights.
I came down to a simple "Your absolutely Daft" in its findings as I was using my own property and the surrounding documented historical information.

It's a tool in there tool box and it will be upgraded quickly as time goes on. Getting insight on what might be in an area of interest it might supply some great insight.

The true telling sign of AI and if it got something right, is to go and to drop a coil on the ground and see if there's anything hidden.
I agree, AI should NOT BE TRUSTED COMPLETELY. I use it mostly after the find. The particular property I was referring to had no occupation prior to sometime between 1860 and 1874. The 1860 map had no house on the property, and the 1874 map did have a house on the property. It was believed that the land was only used for farming prior to 1860. I had originally asked for permission to see what I could find going into it thinking I would find mostly post 1874 items.

Once I got back into the woods, I noticed the stone walls and piles of stone. A bit further to the south into the woods I came across what looked like a possible cellar hole. To the northwest of that possible cellar, I found what looked like possibly a barn foundation. I spent two weeks just roaming around taking photos and hatching a plan to move forward with the detector. I settled on a 30-to-60-yard circle with the cellar in the center and set out to find high tones. There is much iron around the cellar, mostly nails. Once I got into the 31–60-yard section to the northwest, I started hitting those higher tones. Coins, buttons, and other artifacts pre 1860 popped out and I was thrilled. I had been looking at this specific property for more than a year, and it was paying off.

I proved that this land had been used going back into the 1730's, before I ever asked Copilot anything. I used old maps and ariel views, township histories, and land records I could access. Most of all, I used my metal detector. I have two more years to find what I can before this property becomes a park!

Where Copilot did help was providing links to old documents I can use to possibly find the original land grantee and warrantee maps including map numbers to look for.
 
Last edited:
The problem with AI systems is that they frequently reinforce and amplify biases, often creating feedback loops that perpetuate falsehoods. I also often find that if you check AI answers by a second AI check of what AI has told you, then you get contradictions.

Something like… AI tells you that “The Joe Bloggs Silver company was founded in Birmingham in 1887, producing silver-plated flatware” You then AI check “Did the Joe Bloggs Silver Company of Birmingham produce silver-plated flatware in 1887?” and get the answer: “No, the Joe Bloggs Silver Company did not exist until 1923 and did not manufacture flatware.”

Not intended as political comment but, recently, West Midlands Police in the UK used Microsoft’s Copilot to help determine whether fans of the Israeli Maccabi club should be banned from attending a football match. They concluded that there was a high risk of violence from the fans based, in part, on what Copilot spewed out, including a report of violence from Maccabi fans at a previous match in the UK. In fact, no such match ever took place!
 
Please don't. If my posts start getting "fact checked" by AI, I'll stop posting.
The only way any of us have any hope of staying ahead of what's coming is by using Ai to improve ourselves in every way possible and to the fullest extent possible. If you're afraid of being "fact checked" by artificial intelligence to the point of retreating to a lonely cave in meaningless protest, then you're already well on your way to total irrelevance.
 
Of course artificial intelligence has not yet reached the point of perfection. It is still currently the most powerful tool any of us have ever had access to. And it is progressing at mind-boggling speeds, with no end in sight...
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom