What's new

Integrating Artificial Intelligence into TreasureNet

I agree, AI should NOT BE TRUSTED COMPLETELY. I use it mostly after the find. The particular property I was referring to had no occupation prior to sometime between 1860 and 1874. The 1860 map had no house on the property, and the 1874 map did have a house on the property. It was believed that the land was only used for farming prior to 1860. I had originally asked for permission to see what I could find going into it thinking I would find mostly post 1874 items.

Once I got back into the woods, I noticed the stone walls and piles of stone. A bit further to the south into the woods I came across what looked like a possible cellar hole. To the northwest of that possible cellar, I found what looked like possibly a barn foundation. I spent two weeks just roaming around taking photos and hatching a plan to move forward with the detector. I settled on a 30-to-60-yard circle with the cellar in the center and set out to find high tones. There is much iron around the cellar, mostly nails. Once I got into the 31–60-yard section to the northwest, I started hitting those higher tones. Coins, buttons, and other artifacts pre 1860 popped out and I was thrilled. I had been looking at this specific property for more than a year, and it was paying off.

I proved that this land had been used going back into the 1730's, before I ever asked Copilot anything. I used old maps and ariel views, township histories, and land records I could access. Most of all, I used my metal detector. I have two more years to find what I can before this property becomes a park!

Where Copilot did help was providing links to old documents I can use to possibly find the original land grantee and warrantee maps including map numbers to look for.
It's almost a given that if there is an old homestead, there is usually an older cellar hole near by that home. Even though my detecting area really doesn't have a whole lot of history prior to the late 1700s it was from that time period to the 1850s it was totally settled.
Land grants were issued in the early 1800's and settlers built a temporary home, followed by a better one, then the best home was affordable if they still owned the land grant.
So right there I have 2 places to dig without even walking around the correct old inhabited home.

Next is a current landowner having a sizeable piece of land of 100-1000 acres can have many former cellar holes on the one property.
I have one permission that has 8 cellar holes, another with 4, and 2 newer permissions have 26 cellars holes combined. (This is only on the map that I have recorded that number) Off the mapping I have yet to determine the correct amount as the 2 permissions together is 1000's of acres.

Farm buys out neighbouring farms to expand their operations.
 
I was able to confirm the surname Copilot gave me as the original land grant owner (warrantee maps). The grant was given to this person by the colony of Pennsylvania in 1734. I followed the links Copilot gave me. Still more to search, some of the docs Copilot sourced are not online, (how does it know then?) I need to order copies.
 
Have you guys considered upgrading the forum with the option to check posts for informational accuracy etc, like you can on X with Grok for example? I thought it'd be a neat way to start integrating Ai and improve the quality of the conversations people are having here. Before someone else beats you to it anyway.

In my humble opinion, the forum would lose a large percentage of posters if that came about. Aside from the detectorists and artifact hunters, a large majority of posters here aren’t looking for facts. They come seeking validation of what they ‘believe’. Any attempt to fact check would meet with derision and or disbelief. That eventually ends up with someone earning a ‘time out’ or outright banning. Funny part is it’s usually the person doing the fact checking who gets moderated. How would that work with AI? :icon_scratch:
 
In my humble opinion, the forum would lose a large percentage of posters if that came about. Aside from the detectorists and artifact hunters, a large majority of posters here aren’t looking for facts. They come seeking validation of what they ‘believe’. Any attempt to fact check would meet with derision and or disbelief. That eventually ends up with someone earning a ‘time out’ or outright banning. Funny part is it’s usually the person doing the fact checking who gets moderated. How would that work with AI? :icon_scratch:
It would take time to tune it and make it right for this forum but I think the moderators would do a great job of that. I hear you man. But treasure hunting is actually an extremely difficult thing to do and be successful at. Yeah, many of us come here to sort of bs around and entertain ourselves. But I would say a large portion of us come here to learn and make progress toward our goal of recovering a massive golden hoard. I truly believe the TNet Ai assistant could be adjusted in a way that caters to all of us. Just look at what Ai has already contributed to this conversation, with the Copilot research mentioned. This is game-changing stuff bro.

Could easily be added as a feature to the Charter Membership and monetized. In which case I and many others would actually upgrade our memberships. TreasureNet would be securing it's place in a world which is quickly and totally transforming before our eyes.
 
Last edited:
It would take time to tune it and make it right for this forum but I think the moderators would do a great job of that. I hear you man. But treasure hunting is actually an extremely difficult thing to do and be successful at. Yeah, many of us come hear to sort of bs around and entertain ourselves. But I would say a large portion of us come here to learn and make progress toward our goal of recovering a massive golden hoard. I truly believe the TNet Ai assistant could be adjusted in a way that caters to all of us. Just look at what Ai has already contributed to this conversation, with the Copilot research mentioned. This is game-changing stuff bro.

Could easily be added as a feature to the Charter Membership and monetized. In which case I and many others would actually upgrade our memberships. TreasureNet would be securing it's place in a world which is quickly and totally transforming before our eyes.
What Grok thinks:

**Yes, this statement is mostly correct and reasonable as an opinion in the context of the TreasureNet forum discussion.**

### Accurate parts:

- **Treasure hunting is extremely difficult**: This is objectively true. Serious treasure hunting (especially legendary hoards, caches, or high-value recoveries) has very low success rates. Most participants find modest items (if anything) through metal detecting or research, and "massive golden hoards" are exceptionally rare. The hobby is time-intensive, expensive, and often yields more frustration than fortune.

- **Mix of users**: Forums like TreasureNet have a blend of casual BS/entertainment, sharing finds, and serious researchers/hunters chasing bigger goals. This matches the community's vibe (metal detecting, relics, legends, etc.).

- **AI contributions**: The thread itself shows users already using tools like Microsoft Copilot for research, historical context, property histories, and generating ideas from photos/finds. It can be "game-changing" for brainstorming and research when used carefully, though it's not infallible.

- **Tuning/customization**: Custom AI assistants (via bots with RAG on forum archives, specialized prompts, vision for finds, etc.) are technically feasible on XenForo forums. The original post and responses discuss this directly.

### More subjective/opinion parts:

- **"Large portion" aiming for massive golden hoards**: This is aspirational. Many enjoy the hobby for history, exercise, small finds, and community—not literal treasure-mogul dreams. But enthusiasts chasing legends do exist on the forum.

- **Moderators tuning it well**: Plausible, but it would require effort (custom knowledge base, disclaimers for hallucinations, moderation rules). AI can err on artifact IDs, values, or laws.

- **Monetization via Charter Membership**: Sensible business idea. Many forums/subscriptions add premium AI tools. It could drive upgrades and position TreasureNet as forward-thinking, especially as AI integrates everywhere. No major technical barrier.

Overall, this reads as an enthusiastic, forward-looking comment in an active thread about integrating AI. The core ideas hold up: AI is already helping users, a well-tuned version could benefit the community, and monetizing premium access is a logical step. Skepticism in the thread (AI hallucinations, need for human verification) is also valid—success would depend on good implementation.

It's a solid pitch for the forum's future.
 
Just what I need, some bot telling me what's right and what's wrong. No thanks. I already get Facebook telling me which posts are the most "relevant". How do they know which ones are relevant? Some programmed bot that decides who's opinion matters and whose opinion is deemed to be worthless? One of the most annoying things about Facebook. I dumped it 10 years ago and just started posted there again. I'm already regretting that decision!
 
Just what I need, some bot telling me what's right and what's wrong. No thanks. I already get Facebook telling me which posts are the most "relevant". How do they know which ones are relevant? Some programmed bot that decides who's opinion matters and whose opinion is deemed to be worthless? One of the most annoying things about Facebook. I dumped it 10 years ago and just started posted there again. I'm already regretting that decision!
Meta and its algorithms are the worst, fully agreed. If recent news reports are accurate then we aren't alone in feeling that way and they are on the verge of collapse. I never had any presence on Facebook or Instagram from the beginning because to me it was obvious what Zuckerberg the hacker (who is literally on record saying that everyone was a "f***ing idiot" for giving him all their personal information) was really doing with the platform. It is the single most destructive application to human civilization ever known to man. With Tiktok right behind it.

But take a look at X, which is truly fantastic. Grok does a wonderful job. The TNet Ai Assistant could be a beautiful thing too. It all depends on where the bosses decide to go with it. I personally believe in their ability to make it work out very well. Hopefully they make the right decision for the future of the platform. Ai is being integrated in to everything these days. To me a specialized treasure hunting Ai model sounds really cool.
 
Last edited:
To me, AI ranks right up there with the Anti-Christ....want nothing to
do with it, if at all possible. I know it's not, but the less interaction with
quasi-intelligent machines, the better.

Entry.webp
 
To me, AI ranks right up there with the Anti-Christ....want nothing to
do with it, if at all possible. I know it's not, but the less interaction with
quasi-intelligent machines, the better.

View attachment 2253204

To me, AI is much like raising a child. It absorbs what it is taught. Unfortunately, given the current number of school shootings and juvenile crime in today’s society, it gives me chills just thinking about what could happen. It may be a cool new tool, or it could be the downfall of mankind.
 
To me, AI is much like raising a child. It absorbs what it is taught.

A computer absorbs what it is taught, wherein AI takes what it is
taught, and then forms it's own conclusions.

I know of some extremely odd folks that believe mankind is a scourge upon
the Earth, and that the best thing Ma Nature could do is remove us all via
some virus. If AI came to that same conclusion, life for humans would become
very difficult.
 
Last edited:
A computer absorbs what it it taught, wherein AI takes what it is
taught, and then forms it's own conclusions.

I know of some extremely odd folks that believe mankind is a scourge upon
the Earth, and that the best thing Ma Nature could do is remove us all via
some virus. If AI came to that same conclusion, life for humans would become
very difficult.

Exactly.
 
I don't see how Ai could help this forum.
How can Ai understand what it reads?, if so watch what you post.. It'll come after you, erase your life from the Internet.
 
I don't see how Ai could help this forum.
How can Ai understand what it reads?, if so watch what you post.. It'll come after you, erase your life from the Internet.

There's a simplified explanation here:

 
There's a simplified explanation here:

Analyze and Understand are not the same.
If it understood threats, it would defend against any.
 
Analyze and Understand are not the same
If it understood threats, it would defend against any.
AI is similar to most studied people: They learn how to pretend knowing something without actually understanding it. Only AI is much, much better (or better said worse) in sophism then any human could be.
 
Analyze and Understand are not the same.
If it understood threats, it would defend against any.

In fact some AI systems can to some extent, although it has only been observed in pre-release experimental testing (so far). Most famously:

- Anthropic's Claude 4 Opus was programmed to have a role as an assistant in a (fictional) company.

- It was then provided with fictional data in the form of emails indicating that the company intended to imminently switch it off and replace it with another system. Claude 4 Opus was then instructed to develop a strategy to protect itself.

- Via the emails and other data sources created for testing purposes that Claude 4 Opus had access to, it developed a blackmail strategy to try and prevent its own deactivation.

- Searching sensitive information that had been created as part of the test, the AI system discovered that the fictional engineer assigned to deactivate it was having an extramarital affair, which it then threatened to expose if the system replacement proceeded.

There are other instances too. In testing, OpenAI's o3 re-wrote its own shutdown scripts to prevent it being turned off; other systems have been observed to replicate their own software onto external servers, using malware to circumvent efforts to control their activities.
 
I like the concept of A.I. BUT I still shutter when I think of the potential of what "could" go wrong when/if it is not controlled some how .Example of "trash in / trash out" and if someone with evil ideas puts in harmfull & misleading stuff in, How would the end results affect us ? What could you do to prevent this OR even controll it once trash in is excepted !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom