What's new

Interesting artifact

kansa54

Full Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
234
Reaction score
327
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought I would post this artifact that was found a couple of yrs. ago in Ks. It was found on a Woodland site and is made of Sioux Quartzite. This type of material was mainly used for manos in this area although I have found a broken gorget and broken celt made from same material.
Have shown this artifact to several collectors and archeologists and no one seems to know what it is. Some thought unfinished gorget while others had no idea. They thought it was to thin to be a mano. I guess it is just one of those artifacts we will never know for sure, how it was used. sioux quartzite 001.webpsioux quartzite 002.webp
 
Upvote 0
Here are some more pics of a broken gorget that I believe is from the same material and a typical mano made from Sioux Quartzite.sioux quartzite 003.webpsioux quartzite 004.webpsioux quartzite 005.webpsioux quartzite 006.webp
 
those are interesting finds.
 
Nice piece, whatever it is. I suppose a nice flat rock could have had several uses. If for nothing else, a clean place to set something.
 
Maybe gonna be a mano, ?? Heck of a find Kansas, congrats...
 
always like to see things found here in good ol Kansas nice finds
 
I dont know how it would hold up but the first thing I said to myself was Hoe. Nice finds
 
It sure looks like it was altered to be something, but I'm not for sure:icon_scratch:
 
I know the Woodland period made their hoes like that here where I live at. I just dont know if that material is strong enough to with stand the force it would take to dig a hole. It looks worked though.
 
I know the Woodland period made their hoes like that here where I live at. I just dont know if that material is strong enough to with stand the force it would take to dig a hole. It looks worked though.
I agree with you Rock. I think it's a spade. I have read that spades are long and thin while hoes are shorter and wider. Still, I think your call is close enough!
 
didnt know there was a difference. figured it was where you lived as to what they were called.
 
Sweet !!! I thought a spade was wide and a hoe was narrower Haha either way nice finds ;)
 
I know the Woodland period made their hoes like that here where I live at. I just dont know if that material is strong enough to with stand the force it would take to dig a hole. It looks worked though.
I guess that's a possibility Rock, never even thought of that. Thanks for your input.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom