What's new

Interesting Dime find

skelly9131

Full Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
124
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
I've been doing a lot of dimes lately. I think the appeal is that you can walk into any bank at any time and leave with some coin to search. Also, those 90% rims just jump out at you and and I get skunked much less than when searching halfs. If you're into CRH'ing just for the fun and hobby of it and not to make money than you should definitely check out dimes.

Anyway, yesterday I searched a $250 box and $225 in customer rolls. I found 6 silver Rosies and a 1944 Philippines ten centavos. It was fun to find something different and it has .0482 ounces of silver too! It even inspired me to read up a little on Philippine history.
 

Attachments

  • IMG00034-20100413-1038.webp
    IMG00034-20100413-1038.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 600
Upvote 0
Very nice finds. Can you share with us any link you may have found that shows the metal content and weight of the US-made Philippine coins during WWII ?

Again, nice finds.
 
I just finished my 80th bag on dimes (for my career not this year) and I haven't been skunked yet. Only got one a couple of times, but never a shutout.

The old foreign coins are cool too. Besides Canadian silver I also found a 1962 Greek 50 lepta coin. (dime sized).

I think dimes are the way to go. I just wish by dump bank could handle taking in more than 30 bags a year.
 
Thanks skelly, but I use that link a lot for identifying foreign coin. But what did you use to determine the metal content of your coin ?
 
Love those dimes, like a box of chocolates. Barbers, mercs, foreign silver, etc. You won't get rich, hey, lucky to pay for gas....lol....beats a skunkout every day! ffd
 
skelly9131 said:
I'll answer. Same link.http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/Philippines.php skelly's coin is #181, go to top of page where it says "click here for coin values" http://worldcoingallery.com/values/Philippines.htm scroll down to #181.ASW stands for ACTUAL SILVER WEIGHT in troy ounces. Hope this helps.

Yup, that's exactly what I did.

Thanks skelly / diggum. I had never gone to that link before. Merely used the photo section to identify any foreign coin I've found.

Funny how it gives the ASW, but not the total weight or purity of a coin.

Thanks again.
 
Sorting through almost 5000 dimes to find 6 keepers just seems like a huge waste of time! I give you credit for doing it though haha
 
Sorting through almost 5000 dimes to find 6 keepers just seems like a huge waste of time! I give you credit for doing it though haha
I only rim search, so it doesn't take long at all. And the free CoinStar makes dumping easy too.
 
I actually found one of those dimes in a reject of a coinstar. Had that dime, a 64 Rosevelt and 3 wheat pennies. Those are listed in the redbook.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom