Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found these at an old cellerhole site by the barn foundation. The buildings were abandoned before the 1900's. I really curious to what they were attached to. They seem like they could be knobs from something. They have a star inside a circle on top of them.

index.php

I didn't find these.....They're Washington Arsenal bullets......They have the same star inside them. I thought that was strange.
index.php

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc
The round piece looks like a bullet. What appears to be rifeling marks are almost visible on the diameter. Not sure about the other.
Doc
Morning Lisa, Doc, possibly shotgun slugs with extruded pseudo rifling for air rotataion which have been fired in a full choke so are partially swaged down? Size is close to 12 guage.

They should be almost hollow inside and soft lead.

TropicalTramp Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
RealdeTayopa said:
possibly shotgun slugs with extruded pseudo rifling for air rotataion which have been fired in a full choke so are partially swaged down? Size is close to 12 guage.

Yep... shotgun slugs, all right. Good call!

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
You need only do a search on "deer hunting" + "10 gauge" to confirm that 10 gauge shotguns— large and unwieldy as they may be—have been, and still are, used with slug loads for deer hunting. As for "modern," 10 gauge rifled-slug loads are readily available for purchase today:

http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/cshop/store/detail.tam?xax=383183&item.ctx=:F103RS

This thread seems destined for interminable debate; so, in the spirit of good fellowship, I think I'll just move along and leave a little extra room for the rest of you to "slug" it out.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO: I have been wrong before, and prob will be again - hush Doc - but it is a 12 guage slug.. See 10 vrs. 12 guage diameters.

Tropical Tramp Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

CHICKEN PBK heheh

Attachments

• Shotgun bore diam..jpg
    Shotgun bore diam..jpg
    6 KB · Views: 361
Upvote 0

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
I saw a whites treasure hunting show cant remeber the episode but someone found the civil war bullets with stars in them were rare about 200 to 300 dollars

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allo Doc: My remark "hush doc" was in reference to my statement of making mistakes and for you to not gleeully point them out. Not that you were mistaken or anything like that.sheesh My tiger does that constantly.

TRopical Tramp Till Eulenpiegle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just for everybody's information....the two pieces are the same. There is a star on the top inside a circle. The design around the edge looks like it is "cut" into the objects. Not a random rifling. On the bottom, the side not shown, there is a 1/4 inch hole that is about 1/4 inch deep.

They were dug close together....about 5 1/2 inches deep.

Thanks any information you have,

Lisa

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
diving doc said:
Mona Lisa, what do you mean they are the same? Is it the piece that has the swirly pattern that has a 1/4 inch depression in it? Any other intel?

Doc

What's up, Doc? ;D The two pieces are exactly alike. One is turned on its side .....one is top view.

Upvote 0

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Those Foster slugs are made with what look like rifling grooves on them. Some people think that the grooves get the slug to spin while flying through the air. Their real purpose is to allow the slug to squeeze throught the choke (a constriction near the muzzle). That slug on the right was fired through a gun with a pretty tight choke,so the "rifling" marks were smashed pretty flat. You can still buy 10 guage shotguns and they are only a tiny bit heavier than the 12 guage guns. Both work very well with slugs to fill your deer tag.

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
This is a shotgun slug.

It is not a Foster, wrong design. 

The Foster was invented in the 30's.

I believe that your's predates that.

I'll do a bit of research and see if I can find something for ya.

BTW... Anyone want to know how Guage is determined?

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
One other quick note...

The fins on a slugs are to impart spin.  Has nothing to do, by design, with the choke.  However this is a side benifit of the fin's design.  All older slugs were designed to be shot through a "Cylinder Bore" shotgun, one that is the same inside diameter from the end of the forcing cone to the end of the barrel.  To shoot a solid or semi-solid type slug through a choke would "blow the choke out" or stretch the barrel, possible even splitting it.

Chokes came along in the late 1800's.  I agree that this was most likely fired through a choked barrel.  So, the firing date is after the late 1800's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread