Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a whole lot of finds, but all in all, an interesting day with a couple surprises.
2021-10-12-17-23-18.jpg

2021-10-12-17-24-00.jpg

This was the star of my day. Poor old thing's had a really tough life! You have to see it in person to tell but its an 1883. Been a long time since I've found one of these! Sure was a welcome sight amongst all that clad!

Here's the rest:
1012211730~2.jpg

1012211731~2.jpg

1012211731c~2.jpg

Even the Kennedy Half was fun! I had just decided that I was done and was OTWBTTC when I got this *wonderful* 90 in all directions hit! I even did my 90 degree dance. Where I waltz around the signal, enjoying the fact that it was 90! In all directions! Before I dug. They are so few and so *VERY* far between!!

Anyhoo....thanks for peeking!

Upvote 22

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a whole lot of finds, but all in all, an interesting day with a couple surprises.
View attachment 1984910

View attachment 1984911

This was the star of my day. Poor old thing's had a really tough life! You have to see it in person to tell but its an 1883. Been a long time since I've found one of these! Sure was a welcome sight amongst all that clad!

Here's the rest:
View attachment 1984912

View attachment 1984913

View attachment 1984914

Even the Kennedy Half was fun! I had just decided that I was done and was OTWBTTC when I got this *wonderful* 90 in all directions hit! I even did my 90 degree dance. Where I waltz around the signal, enjoying the fact that it was 90! In all directions! Before I dug. They are so few and so *VERY* far between!!

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whadi strikes again!

The shield is quite the recovery. First one I've noticed holed.
And a half for a kicker. (Besides all the other stuff...)

Congrats on the outing!
Ya know, I believe this is a first for me as well! I kinda thought they wouldn't hole a coin smaller than a quarter. It is sort of neat, ain't it?

Thanks!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya know, I believe this is a first for me as well! I kinda thought they wouldn't hole a coin smaller than a quarter. It is sort of neat, ain't it?

Thanks!
It is a nice design. And nice enough for a pendent...
Holed to sew and stash or string comes up in topics , but a good design holed so decor hangs straight , hints of another purpose.
No offence to the Liberty Head design that followed after 1883 , but maybe someone thought more of the shield design.
220px-Shield_nickel_obverse_by_Howard_Spindel.png

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1984910

View attachment 1984911

Here's the rest:
View attachment 1984912

View attachment 1984913

View attachment 1984914

View attachment 1984910

View attachment 1984911

Here's the rest:
View attachment 1984912

View attachment 1984913

View attachment 1984914

View attachment 1984910

View attachment 1984911

Here's the rest:
View attachment 1984912

View attachment 1984913

View attachment 1984914

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin finds Whadi. I like that Shield Nickel and the Kennedy Half.
Thanks!
Ya know, that half brings to mind a question.

This place I was walking in is one I have been to many, many, many times. I have wandered on, around, over, and even gridded this very same spot in two directions!

Now, this is a facetious question, I know.

But....it makes one wonder just how such a blatantly good signal could possibly be missed and then just suddenly "appear" out of the blue! :icon_scratch:

No real need to answer, been doing this for almost half a century. I already know "how" it can happen.

Still, maybe a chance for a teaching moment.

I'll start with one of my proven reasons, (to myself).

1. There happened to be a bit of foil that happened to be laying over the target and somewhere along the way, it blew off.

What others are out there?

Don't be afraid to add. The stranger or more legitimate the better!

Have fun and be safe!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt by tone.
Twice the slightest peep of a high tone has been a minority voice among others. And had to be hit just right to get that fleeting peep.
One was a silver dime with two nails standing above it heads up. Not sure of the dime's position before dug....

Another (seated dime) had three other items with it. A thin short piece of wire. Small nail and I don't recall what else.

A recovery above a recovery frees up signal returns. Cleaner too sometimes.
So double checking a recovery site can pay off . But still , a change in soil conditions can change much too.
Warerlogged soil gives me strange signals. Copper wants to be iron in high mineral soil that shows water when a plug is folded out..
Damp earth works best for me on deep /my maximum depth recoveries.
Stuff ringing up that was not noticed when very dry.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt by tone.
Twice the slightest peep of a high tone has been a minority voice among others. And had to be hit just right to get that fleeting peep.
One was a silver dime with two nails standing above it heads up. Not sure of the dime's position before dug....

Another (seated dime) had three other items with it. A thin short piece of wire. Small nail and I don't recall what else.

A recovery above a recovery frees up signal returns. Cleaner too sometimes.
So double checking a recovery site can pay off . But still , a change in soil conditions can change much too.
Warerlogged soil gives me strange signals. Copper wants to be iron in high mineral soil that shows water when a plug is folded out..
Damp earth works best for me on deep /my maximum depth recoveries.
Stuff ringing up that was not noticed when very dry.
Yep, multiple signals can be a pain. But this half was only about 6 inches deep, by itself and a very obvious, clean 90 signal on the AT-Pro. Very repeatable, all directions. As Jeff usually says, miss by an inch and miss by a mile. Very possible that each time in that area, the coil simply missed. That's another possibility.

I always recheck a hole before and after closing it up. So, not likely the culprit.

Another scenario? Just happened to be at the very end of very tired swing and the coil was raised up, missing. :dontknow:

Which reminds me about a habit that the AT-PRO does. If one goes across a lesser signal, (iron etc), and hits a bump? Causing the coil to raise just as it hits the target? And it will sound off with a higher VDI. Try it to prove it to yourself. Learned this in my stumbles in cornfields. :)

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1984910

View attachment 1984911

Here's the rest:
View attachment 1984912

View attachment 1984913

View attachment 1984914

awesome walk, love the half and that shield, wtg

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!
Ya know, that half brings to mind a question.

This place I was walking in is one I have been to many, many, many times. I have wandered on, around, over, and even gridded this very same spot in two directions!

Now, this is a facetious question, I know.

But....it makes one wonder just how such a blatantly good signal could possibly be missed and then just suddenly "appear" out of the blue! :icon_scratch:

No real need to answer, been doing this for almost half a century. I already know "how" it can happen.

Still, maybe a chance for a teaching moment.

I'll start with one of my proven reasons, (to myself).

1. There happened to be a bit of foil that happened to be laying over the target and somewhere along the way, it blew off.

What others are out there?

Don't be afraid to add. The stranger or more legitimate the better!

Have fun and be safe!
I have had the same experience. I think it is just because we "think" we grid the entire area, but do we really ? You would literally have to cover every square 1/2 inch of dirt to really grid an area properly and most of us don't do that. We swing our coils with a half foot gap or so, and move to the next row. This is just my personal opinion. Like they say, it only takes an area the size of a postage stamp to hide a dime. Most of it, is just stepping over the right spot. Glad you found the Half.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread