Investing in a Detector.

Brandx

Oct 23, 2012
Box Elder County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has been ask number of times but I am a newbie to detecting. I would just like to hear some like and dislike about the 2 detectors I have narrowed it down to. I have been using an old bounty hunter 202. I know in the end it is up to me. I will be hitting the parks, play grounds, ponds and camp grounds in my area. Thank you for any input you can give and for taking the time.:icon_thumright:

Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F70

B

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Vaquero - Good Luck!:occasion14:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The At-Pro you can use in the rain but has a propitiatory head phone plug (Don't get me started on that lol ) . That means that you can't grab any old head phone (unless you are willing to spend between $40 to $60 extra to get an adapter for it-- Lot of money for two plugs and a bit of wire!! ) and plug it in.. however it can be used in the rain as the At-P is water resistant to 10 feet. My At-P seems to get less depth than my F75 but being that,,, it suffers a lot less from EMI. and I use mine for TotLots all the time
You can pay a lot more to get a slightly better machine.

Have never used the F70, the closest thing i have is the F75Ltd. In my experience the Fisher has a more digital sound and a better screen and seems more sensitive..
I found even at 15% sensitivity it still hits a small copper 1c coin (New Zealand 1c) at 6" (I like the machines wide open and just pull back the Sens due to EMI)

Both have good recovery speed and are made by companies that research their products so yea personal taste ..
Would i sell my AT-P no way
Would I sell my Fisher no

After a while though you find you hunt more via Tone
and that is where the Tesoro come into their own as well. and they are light. You can swing one all day and not aggravate a tennis elbow..
I love my Tesoro for the beaches for the price it a great bang for buck :)

Good luck,, Its never easy but they are all good machines and once you learn their language you will run them up to their best..
Good luck and welcome to T-Net :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with an AT Pro. Reasons? Waterproof to 10 ft (when it rains and others head for their vehicles, you can keep going), easy to learn and use. I have an AT Pro, F75 and a Minelab CTX3030. The AT Pro is by far the quickest one to learn and does a good job finding stuff. Besides you DON'T want to drop a non-waterproof detector into a pond. Garrett does a good job supporting their products also. See if there is a dealer close to you. He might let you demo one or at least help you get up to speed with it. If not; watch the videos posted on Garrett's site.

Oh and you can buy a headphone adapter for the AT Pro and use other headphones with it (I use Gray Ghosts with mine).

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that approximate price range and Fisher vs. Garrett, I'd choose between the AT Gold and the 1280x. Both can be used in the water or on land. Between those two, I think I'd go with the AT Gold.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I own the Bounty Hunter 202 and the Fisher F75. f you just doin parks, get the AT Pro. If you want to show off and add more learning, get the F70. Good Luck.

OP
OP
B

Brandx

Oct 23, 2012
Box Elder County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your time and info. It really helps. I have been watchin video after video and reading tons of reviews. Every little helps. You all have been great :laughing7:. I hope to hear from more.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you haven't already done so, read the manuals for both machines before taking your decision. If one makes your head hurt, then that's not the machine for you. On the other hand if the manual reminds you of Kindergarten, then that's probably not the right machine either. :cat:

OP
OP
B

Brandx

Oct 23, 2012
Box Elder County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't already done so, read the manuals for both machines before taking your decision. If one makes your head hurt, then that's not the machine for you. On the other hand if the manual reminds you of Kindergarten, then that's probably not the right machine either. :cat:
:thumbsup: I agree. Still looking.

nowwhat

Jun 1, 2006
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic lll
Brandx I like to keep things simple, get a Ace 250-350 & a decent set of headphones, some proper digging tools and have at it. finding metal in the ground ain't rocket science in spite of what the manufactures want you to believe. sure there are special needs sometimes, but most any detector around $300 will do nicely 95% of the time. Personally, I like both White & Garrett detectors, both are made here in the USA and backed up with excellent service. Good Hunting !!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me add one more thing. The coils of all the big brands are water-proof. Which means you can search freshwater up to a couple of feet (depending on conditions, your size, etc) as long as you keep the control box dry.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I goofed , got the TDK's from 'newegg'

Brandx
IF you use a cell phone, computer or any other digital device frequently, understand them well, had little trouble in learning them, could easily see how one function of the machine worked with other functions and enjoyed digging into these devices to learn all that they could do then by all means purchase the upper end machine.

IF you do not find it fun to deal with a simple cell phone and its functions, are uncomfortable with defragmenting your computer or doing a disc cleanup and in general do not like digging into these products to learn or if you have only a small amount of time to devote to metal detecting then purchase a lower end but not bottom of the line machine.

Then again it looks like you want to get into general metal detecting (not prospecting) and if that is the case then by staying with a good mid range detector with any of the manufacturers - Whites, Tessoro, Garret, Fischer - then you want to look at their customer service, warranties, coil selections, EMI interference, total weight of the machine with batteries and coil, and check out various metal detecting blogs for customer complaints about the machine(s) you are looking at. Why? With new modern detectors all these brands produce machines that perform amazing detecting feats with depth of detection, ease of detection, reliability of the detecting information the machine tells the detectorist and they are solid state marvels that will last a long time if treated well (IE: protect them from rain and wet situations, Treat them with respect and care for them well).

Okay, my brain is getting tired and empty. I hope this other way of looking at your desire to metal detect is helpful. When I first started I was building detectors from scratch from plans given in electronics magazines and it was fun but not very useful. I then obtained my first White's, a used 6000 D coinmaster, and even today that analog machine is still making good finds but it is heavy and due to it's guts being mechanical it can loose its responsiveness to targets but a good machine is worth its weight in excitement, fun and will release the user from everyday cares as when I am out detecting my mind is focused on what the machine is telling me and I find it relaxing. Work at your decision and you will be pleased with the results OH, and if this "hobby" proves to your liking then this will be the first of your detectors as with experience and dedication (like after you've found your first silver coin and then a gold ring) you will want to move up to something with greater capabilities.........63bkpkr

P.S. - as you were advised earlier earphones are very useful. First it helps to more clearly hear what the machine is telling you as earphones block out other noises, second it makes the detecting more private (others can not hear it) and third wireless earphones eliminate the cord and that is a true blessing and the ultimate in detecting experience. I have both a good coiled "Detecting Headset" and a wireless set and I prefer the wireless. I purchased a TDK model WR700HP online from newegg (look for coupons for a discount). The TDK's work perfectly, no lag in signal to coil position on the ground, have wonderful clarity in sound reproduction but for metal detecting I find that most detectors have a 1/4" plug so a 90 degree adapter needs to be purchased to go from the TDK mini plug to the detector 1/4" plug. These earphones are mostly plastic so they need protection when stored so I keep them in a sturdy lidded plastic food storage container (another $6.00 purchase/insurance policy). 197_9752.JPG So here is a picture of the headphone port on the detector box with the right angle adapter inserted into the detector, the earphone transceiver mini plug plugged into the adapter, the headset wrapped around the detector and the detector is sitting on top of the heavy duty plastic food storage box I purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond, a store chain in California that does not understand they have a metal detecting accessories section in their store!! What is not in the picture would be the headphone cord because there is not a cord with wireless headphones!!!!!!!!

Note: The transceiver needs some support wherever it is plugged in at, I usually use a rubber band to keep it from swinging down into harms way.

In the left side bar from all the replies you've received to your question, look at what detectors these folks are using as another clue as to the type of machine to purchase. Also, Terry Soloman really knows detectors especially the Tessoro brand and although that brand was not one you were looking at you could take a second look at the one he suggested.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
63bkpkr,

Good advice....I've used high end machines as well as several mid range ones....my current everyday machine is a Tesoro DeLeon....single tone and pretty much a beep and dig machine....I prefer the K.I.S.S. method (keep it simple stupid)...lol.

I've made what I consider some pretty good finds with it like you I'd recommend a mid range brand name machine....

Good luck on the final choice and remember to have fun.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
B

Brandx

Oct 23, 2012
Box Elder County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brandx I like to keep things simple, get a Ace 250-350 & a decent set of headphones, some proper digging tools and have at it. finding metal in the ground ain't rocket science in spite of what the manufactures want you to believe. sure there are special needs sometimes, but most any detector around $300 will do nicely 95% of the time. Personally, I like both White & Garrett detectors, both are made here in the USA and backed up with excellent service. Good Hunting !!
I like how you think.:notworthy:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, Yup keeping it simple especially at first is a wise choice. Take it easy while getting your feet wet to see if a person finds enjoyment in detecting is wise.

Now with that said, my first finds were a front yard loaded with penny's then came my first silver coin I believe it was a 1964 quarter and then the find that really took me across the detecting line of no return was my first gold ring. I'm still attempting to return that ring but as of yet no luck. I've since found several silver rings, a second gold ring with small diamond chips in it that a lawn mower found first, a gold tooth crown (oh I so wish I'd had an electronic probe for that target), several more silver coins, LOTS of bottle caps/pull tabs/nails/brass sprinkler heads/voids (little caves) in the ground and the typical things that are 'out there'.

Keeping it simple is good but then with more detecting depth with accurate depth indication, target ID and the like that the higher end machines offer well, a person is only human and temptation gets to all of us every now and then. It is good that so many T-netters offer their ideas, wishes and good inputs to everyone that asks a question, that's what brought me here...........63bkpkr/Herb

OP
OP
B

Brandx

Oct 23, 2012
Box Elder County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gents thanks for all the great advice and for taking the time. I do love being outside detecting so I for sure want to get me one of good quality and will last me a while. Again thank you!

OP
OP
B

Brandx

Oct 23, 2012
Box Elder County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I have bountyhunter pioneer ex and bountyhunter platinum both have done me well still learning the platinum

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone here has there own detectors my #1 is the Xterra 705 then #2 the Tiger shark, my XLT all machine are awsome an I try to use each of them so I don't loose my learning curve on any of them. HH everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions