Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some time I've been putting bit by bit away for a " Societal Rainy Day ". I go to a friends coin shop and buy dimes, quarters, halves, and silver dollars when I have a spare few FRN's (green tp). I have a fair collection of lots of common coins, like Mercurys, Franklins, and so on. I've never been into the numismatics because I don't see them holding their value as much if things are ever to become like Venuzuela or the Weimar Republic, Zimbabwe..... I'll not ever sell what I detect currently unless it might afford me a certain needful luxury before the SHTF, but for the past few months I've been buying up Seated dimes and other lesser common coins even though they're being sold at a melt value plus premium, like the common Mercs to the dealer. It seems like they are becoming more scarce and I do absolutely love the history. Do you collect and or put away for cloudy days? Would you rather keep all you find or is there a point where you would sell coins you found for cash?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like you, I will never sell my detected coins...
I also have a personal collection, that is deep inside my heart, will only part with it as my last breath leaves me...
I do also have a stash of goodies, that I add to a few times a year, in case of an emergency...
That being my kid getting into a jam, bail, or to pay off a witness, you know, the usual stuff....

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep it all as well. Worth more to me than it is to someone else. I have built a collection of purchased coins as well that will surely be passed down.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
To everyone above, your comments are coming truly from the HEART. It's good to know that what we are doing today (like CRH), might give memories to the next generation(s). My feelings are the same, keep at it my friends. HH, DozerD

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the very early 80's when the Hunt Brothers took silver to $50 an ounce, I was very very heavy into silver. And in those years I was a detectorist. I never sold a danged thing!

However, then we don't consider life changes such as "DIVORCE". So, that was a time to begin a new life considerably less wealthy.

I know she and her new husband certainly loved the contents of that floor safe as I gave it all to her - court would have taken it anyway, but my intent was that my children be taken care of - they weren't. The ex & the new guy couldn't spend and convert quickly enough.

He was a tiny man, but loudest rooster in the hen yard.

In my opinion they earned their fate, and I took my kids away from them - years in the courts.

What did I end up with? Not one heck of a lot, but I got my kids and nothing else mattered.

What they ended up with was divorce and poverty. There was no wisdom in that house, but I guess he really liked my money at the time.

That brings us to today. You can't eat silver & gold. But you gotta plan for what you can eat!

And then, silver & gold versus fiats (paper).... I'd say in the long run of things, we need some "weight" to back us up = JUST IN CASE.

OP
OP
100acre

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the very early 80's when the Hunt Brothers took silver to $50 an ounce, I was very very heavy into silver. And in those years I was a detectorist. I never sold a danged thing!

However, then we don't consider life changes such as "DIVORCE". So, that was a time to begin a new life considerably less wealthy.

I know she and her new husband certainly loved the contents of that floor safe as I gave it all to her - court would have taken it anyway, but my intent was that my children be taken care of - they weren't. The ex & the new guy couldn't spend and convert quickly enough.

He was a tiny man, but loudest rooster in the hen yard.

In my opinion they earned their fate, and I took my kids away from them - years in the courts.

What did I end up with? Not one heck of a lot, but I got my kids and nothing else mattered.

What they ended up with was divorce and poverty. There was no wisdom in that house, but I guess he really liked my money at the time.

That brings us to today. You can't eat silver & gold. But you gotta plan for what you can eat!

And then, silver & gold versus fiats (paper).... I'd say in the long run of things, we need some "weight" to back us up = JUST IN CASE.
You certainly have my respect.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I leave them in the garage to remember nice and bold days
I thinking buying silver, for a long period looks a good saving money

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I leave them in the garage to remember nice and bold days
I thinking buying silver, for a long period looks a good saving money

You've got some "right thinking" going on. But here we are right now about 30% higher than the last couple of years when the low was somewhere around $14 an ounce.

What would be best for you is to "slowly accumulate", as in don't dump a bunch of money into it without a further plan of accumulation. Just go slow, and that's the way to go. Ain't no emergency at the moment - just plot your course and long term plan.

If you went whole hog right at the moment, you're bound to be in error.

Us silver people, in the market we're only profit for the silver "evangelists"....

Accumulate, but use wisdom getting there, just a bit at a time = seize opportunities yet not endanger your finances... If you are tempted to buy a bunch at one time, maybe you ought to strategize out beyond today.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I started detecting and was bitten by the silver bug, I started buying silver coins off of ebay and also the various pawn shops in my town. I'm patient, at times it seems everything is going for way above melt value and I will pass, other times it seems like nobody is buying and ill jump on everything I can afford. It's nice to know I have a couple hundred ounces stacked away, not much by some collectors standards, but its mine, and it's paid for, and I buy it in such a fashion that it is usually worth substantially more than what I paid for it. As far as selling any silver I've dug...NEVER!! I can look through my flips at each coin (or ring) and recall exactly when and where I dug it. And Deepseeker...u da man! You dug deep and you sacrificed for your kids, and Karma came through...thumbs up my friend...thx, ddf

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent! Everyone needs wisdom such as yours :)

Just remember, seize opportunities, and don't go so deep you can't handle whatever may come at you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread