Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Rodeo Recon and I went out on a Cold, Bleak day today. We wanted to first stop and check out a wooded site, since the ground was more likely to be thawed, and the wind chill less. We found our site there fairly easily after a long hike in. There was a large well and one stack of corner stones left. We pounded the area, digging lots of junk iron scrap (which I backpacked out of the woods ::)). The only finds to be made were two suspender clips. :-\

I didn't take any photos of that part of the hunt, because it seemed like we couldn't buy a keeper! Then we went to the next farm over and got permission to hunt the old homestead on their property. This one was obvious too--the whole foundation remained. :) Here's a photo or two of the site:

Foundation.jpg

Foundation1.jpg

Rodeo.jpg

I got a wheat penny right in front of the foundation, then I scored a nice, green, 1906 Indian Head right behind the structure. Here's a photo:

IH.jpg

Then Rodeo called me over to see a nice Civil War Eagle Button he found:

Eagle Button.jpg

A few more keepers came up...a clock part, another button for Rodeo, and a couple of odds and ends. So we were pleased, considering the conditions... When we were exhausted from fighting the frozen ground we headed home.

Here are my finds before cleaning (got a nice half of a pack rivet that I'm including just for civilman :wink:) :

My Finds.jpg

And Rodeo's Eagle Button cleaned up well:

A 010.jpg

The flat button he found turned out to be pretty interesting. It says "Tally Ho" on a banner above a running fox(?) on the front. On the back, the maker's name is T. BIDDELL DRURY LANE. From what I can tell, Mr. Thomas Biddell was listed on the 1808 London Directory at 55 Drury Lane. (Maybe his neighbor was the muffin man :D ) Anyhow, evidently T. Biddell manufactured buttons up until the mid-1830s. I am assuming this one falls under the category of "livery button," but anyone with more information please feel free to share it with me.

Here's a photo of the front and back:

A 005.jpg

A 007.jpg

I also wanted to share with everyone a Fabulous SILVER button that KFB found on one of our hunts:

A 006.jpg

That's the only silver button we've found this year. :) Congratulations, Kindafoundabuckle. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Since when did they start making "pack stud's" out of Lead :tard:

PC150001.JPG

civilman1 said:
Since when did they start making "pack stud's" out of Lead  :tard:

EDIT: Sorry--when I replied earlier to you, your photo hadn't come up...

That is Weird!

I believe you guys could pull keepers out of a cup of coffee, unbelievable :thumbsup: I noticed you had some older broken dishes included in the pics, what is the approximate date for that print type period dishware?

I like the pictures of you hunting site and the first thing I thought when I seen the button was Tally Ho the Fox. I have no idea about it but we used to have a truck stop on hwy. 52 called Tally Ho The Fox Cafe.The Indian cent would have made my day. :thumbsup:

Nice buttons,Love the old Homesteads,you just don't know what you might find.

Nova Treasure

tymcmurray said:
I thought those were zinc rings from the williams cleaners???
Excuse me ........Zinc!

Some nice relics guys. :thumbsup: That fox button is a super find. Very unusual for sure. Thanks for the info on that one.
Congrats on the coins & buttons.
I love that stone foundation, and always wanted to learn that trade.
Thanks for the post BB,
Doug

civilman1 said:
tymcmurray said:
I thought those were zinc rings from the williams cleaners???
Excuse me ........Zinc!

The zinc discs for Williams Cleaner Bullets need to have a post in 'em, right?

The pack rivet pieces were made of brass

But in the case of your finds there, civilman, I think somebody needed to repair a rivet in a piece of horse tack, and had to make a piece out of lead for the rivet as a temporary fix. (At least that's my guess, and I'm stickin to it.)

-Buckles

Some good finds for you guys BB!! Nice buttons. I bet KFB was grinning from ear to ear when he found that great silver button. WTG from Tennessee!!!

redlined said:
I believe you guys could pull keepers out of a cup of coffee, unbelievable :thumbsup: I noticed you had some older broken dishes included in the pics, what is the approximate date for that print type period dishware?

You know, I should be up on my pottery patterns, but I'm not...  I know they certainly have a story to tell--and I'd love to date some of them...but I just haven't gotten into learning much about them yet. 

If anyone has a recommendation for a book to buy that will help with pottery and china between 1800 and 1900, please post it.  :)

Funny thing is...that pattern of china visually looks like it should be from the 1920s, but we've found it at some very early sites.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Great finds Buckleboy :thumbsup: I enjoyed your story and the pictures. Hope to see more before the end of the year...

Nice button, at least you came home with a couple good keepers after going out in the cold. HH!

GREAT DIGS. NICE LOOKING PLACE TO HUNT. MABY IT WILL WARN UP A LITTLE. BEST OF LUCK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back