Iron, Copper, Pewter and Ticks!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back out to a site that Patriot and I hunted earlier this week. My intention was to dig the iron signals and hope for a trade axe. It's an old site but has been farmed forever as evidenced by the number of horse and ox shoes. I did manage a couple keepers but no trade axe. Coins are a worn Liard (1600s) and a George II copper. The copper is soaking in HP now and I'm hoping for a date. It's worn but not pitted. I also found a pewter button but i'm sure it's civilian.

On the way home I found a tick crawling on my arm. I flicked it out the window and when i got home I had the wife conduct an inspection and there was another one on my lower back...damn dirty creatures!

Attachments

• 28 May 2011 001.jpg
    28 May 2011 001.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 28 May 2011 003.jpg
    28 May 2011 003.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 28 May 2011 002.jpg
    28 May 2011 002.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 475
  • 28 May 2011 007.jpg
    28 May 2011 007.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah looks like the button dates with your coins. Condition sure wasn't your friend with those! But we can't control it so still success.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Yeah looks like the button dates with your coins. Condition sure wasn't your friend with those! But we can't control it so still success.

Yeah, I've never really had much luck with coppers in farmed fields...just hoping for the silvers.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brass ball looking thing with threads inside looks like what folks used to screw on the pointy end of the ox's horn to keep him from hooking you if it tossed it's head.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another good little haul! Ugh, ticks are on my list of hated creatures, along with leeches, earwigs, centipedes, eels and snakes. But, with all the years of being in the woods hunting, fishing and detecting, I've yet to get one on me. I have had the occasional ruffed grouse I've bagged just loaded with them though.
Looks like if you buy a horse you'll have shoes for it for a while! :wink:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious The George said:
That brass ball looking thing with threads inside looks like what folks used to screw on the pointy end of the ox's horn to keep him from hooking you if it tossed it's head.

That's exactly what it is.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
God love ya, you are doing an exceptional job of leaving behind those early silvers for me to find ;D

you keep on finding those old sites and I'll help you dig 'em up, keep up the good work and keep the parasites off your back, the bloodsuckers aren't that picky so I'll come with a fresh supply!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ironhorse said:
God love ya, you are doing an exceptional job of leaving behind those early silvers for me to find ;D

you keep on finding those old sites and I'll help you dig 'em up, keep up the good work and keep the parasites off your back, the bloodsuckers aren't that picky so I'll come with a fresh supply!

Funny thing is I was in a ploughed field...ticks are really bad this year. I walked through maybe 20 feet of grass total.

I've got a few new sites ready to go as soon as the grass comes off.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a great hunt there...gotta feeling there's a cob waiting for the lucky someone to put their coil over it...there may be trade axe sitting in all that iron too! not a lot of non iron target but whatever comes out is OLD...
That field seems to contain a lot of ticks...remember the one I crawling on my hand in the car... :o

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Still a great hunt there...gotta feeling there's a cob waiting for the lucky someone to put their coil over it...there may be trade axe sitting in all that iron too! not a lot of non iron target but whatever comes out is OLD...
That field seems to contain a lot of ticks...remember the one I crawling on my hand in the car... :o

There definitely has to be cobs close. So many sites with the perfect time frame. It's also quite a surprise you have never found one.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:

There definitely has to be cobs close. So many sites with the perfect time frame. It's also quite a surprise you have never found one.

Funny I know what old silver sounds like, but guess I have to take it off "MUSKET BALLS" senitivity

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:

Funny I know what old silver sounds like, but guess I have to take it off "MUSKET BALLS" senitivity

Well it's a trade off because over that way there's higher quality French silver. I'd rather find them than cobs now... well I'd rather find anything! Yeah any pre 1800 silver is a good day no matter what it is.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Finds!
Certainly an old site.
I think we are having the worst year for ticks I've experienced.
after a 2 hour woods hunt, doused with Deet, I removed a record 10 of them,
only one was a deer tick, and only 1 dog tick had begun to bite.
Hope I got them all :laughing7:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:

Well it's a trade off because over that way there's higher quality French silver. I'd rather find them than cobs now... well I'd rather find anything! Yeah any pre 1800 silver is a good day no matter what it is.

Yeah, I'm due for some old silver soon...not like hunthicks who litterly finds them on the top of the ground and I think had a count of 5 last year alone and I thought 1/yr was ok :o

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:

Yeah, I'm due for some old silver soon...not like hunthicks who litterly finds them on the top of the ground and I think had a count of 5 last year alone and I thought 1/yr was ok :o

I used to get over them on a regular basis but not anymore. It seems so damn hard now I look at what I have found and it seems pretty good.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from a scouting mission and found four early sites previously unknown...I think this will be the year of the cob for me! It's on the list anyway.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
I just got back from a scouting mission and found four early sites previously unknown...I think this will be the year of the cob for me! It's on the list anyway.

Sounds like you will clean up. I don't have the slightest idea where IH and I will go this year. Will definitely be places not on our radar right now.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:

Well I've only got 1 in two hunts so far this year! :P I'm sure you'll snag a few next time out now that you mentioned it!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:

Sounds like you will clean up. I don't have the slightest idea where IH and I will go this year. Will definitely be places not on our radar right now.

Well, I know four places you could go...just need them to cut the grass!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread