What's new

Iron Thing with Teeth

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas what this was for ?
 

Attachments

  • iron 001.webp
    iron 001.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 908
  • iron 002.webp
    iron 002.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 890
  • iron 003.webp
    iron 003.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 891
  • iron 004.webp
    iron 004.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 913
Mmm, that is most interesting. I don't have a clue, but my WAG would be some type of ratchet with a base/jack stand. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
How about a multi wrench one side for square nuts and one side for hex nuts. Once the nuts are loose, jack up the vehicle and remove the flat.

Swag only, no actual knowledge relating to the item.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like an old alligator wrench and maybe a jack base as well like others suggested..
 
Upvote 0
Water main wrench. It had a long "T" handle for reaching down in the hole to open or close the valve? Tony
 
Upvote 0
i believe its the bottom of a cobblers foot form stand. if you look it has holes to permanantly mount it to a bench and i believe you can place a shoe or boot in the teeth area to hold them when working on them. hope this makes sense. i have to complete stands with foot forms( from child size to adult man) is storage in my garage. goldie
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
Water main wrench. It had a long "T" handle for reaching down in the hole to open or close the valve? Tony
My first thought was cobblers stand but Im going with Tony. :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • Water-Meter-Key.webp
    Water-Meter-Key.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,199
Upvote 0
I'm gonna have to disagree on the water meter wrench. Having worked for the water dept. for 10 years and never ran into any tool such as that. It is way to big and bulky to fit in the confined spaces of a meter box. I do agree that it is a multi-use wrench/tool of some sort, but I have no idea what for?

Now that I think about it though, it may be for gas meters. They are above ground and you wouldn't be limited by a confined space to use a mutli-tool like that. The center turns off the valve, and the alligator jaws fit the various size nuts and unions.
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
I'm gonna have to disagree on the water meter wrench. Having worked for the water dept. for 10 years and never ran into any tool such as that. It is way to big and bulky to fit in the confined spaces of a meter box.
I think the tool is before your time but I was going to repost but you said it first. Being in Bldg maint. and doing plumbing work, I had to turn off many water meters and I have to comply, its too bulky for water meters.. Sounded good at first. ;D
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
72cheyenne said:
I'm gonna have to disagree on the water meter wrench. Having worked for the water dept. for 10 years and never ran into any tool such as that. It is way to big and bulky to fit in the confined spaces of a meter box.
I think the tool is before your time but I was going to repost but you said it first. Being in Bldg maint. and doing plumbing work, I had to turn off many water meters and I have to comply, its too bulky for water meters.. Sounded good at first. ;D

I agree that this tool has some age to it. The water system I worked for is an old system. It was formed in the 30's. They never threw anything away, so we had many "old" tools of the trade hanging on the walls to display.

On a side note, we actually pulled a Badger brand water meter out of service that is one of the earliest known in the country. It was serial #112. Badger meter wanted it very bad for their corporate office. A ruthless employee of our water department apparently stole and hocked it. So if anyone comes across serial #112 Badger brand water meter, I know where it came from. ;D

It looked similar to this. Sorry to hi-jack. :D
meter.webp
 
Upvote 0
I'm with Goldie partially . . .I think this item was stationary and bolted/screwed down, and a post of some sort fit in the slot. I don't know that it is an antique shoe last, but the shoe last bases are very similiar minus the teeth. I wonder if a Farrier used a shoe last similiar to this? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CobblersFootLast.webp
    CobblersFootLast.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 771
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I'm with Goldie partially . . .I think this item was stationary and bolted/screwed down, and a post of some sort fit in the slot. I don't know that it is an antique shoe last, but the shoe last bases are very similiar minus the teeth. I wonder if a Farrier used a shoe last similiar to this? Breezie
It looks more like it would fit on the interchangable top. The bottom doesnt come off. It would make a nice suface to hammer on and the alligator wrenches serve another purpose, but I dont know what. :icon_scratch: And then maybe not. :D
 
Upvote 0
ha ha...!
the first football shoe spike tool for shoe last.

also that would turn alot of nuts and bolts on a car. so part of early car tool kit.
 
Upvote 0
Heres some info on the Alligator Wrench, which it appears to be. Often used on locomotive work.
http://www.gmptools.com/nf/70451.htm Its some kind of comination or T handle. :dontknow:alligator wrench modern.webp

I notice the teeth on one side are different from the teeth on the other. One side appears to be for gripping pipes and the other for square nuts.
Alligator_wrench--on square nuts.webp
 
Upvote 0
I think it is the base to a jack, jack stand for a farm jack. They use them to pull fence posts, etc.
 

Attachments

  • 150px-Farm_jack.webp
    150px-Farm_jack.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0
this is a joke but since the one is for shoes some one had to make boots and ice skates /hockey skates if you haldled them both on a reg basis like i did when i was younger , sharping skates by hand you have to hold them between you knees and i can picture in my mind this on a bench with skates or heavy boots held in there with hip pressure as the item was repaired . sorry but the holes in the base means it was stationary on a bench laugh if you want too but possibly this was adapted in a work shop (the teeth) not mass produced. who knows
 
Upvote 0
goldie1959 said:
this is a joke but since the one is for shoes some one had to make boots and ice skates /hockey skates if you haldled them both on a reg basis like i did when i was younger , sharping skates by hand you have to hold them between you knees and i can picture in my mind this on a bench with skates or heavy boots held in there with hip pressure as the item was repaired . sorry but the holes in the base means it was stationary on a bench laugh if you want too but possibly this was adapted in a work shop (the teeth) not mass produced. who knows
Why would i laugh? I see what you mean about the holes, it is probably a base of some kind. I thought a comination jack and wrench to remove axle bolts on wagons. Ill have to look at my old jack tommorrow and see if it has mounting holes.
This looks like a mass produced item, not home made.
 
Upvote 0
Its interesting that the teeth on one side go in one direction, and the teeth on the other side go in the opposite direction.

B
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED From a shipwreck
Replies
2
Views
453
  • Question Question
✅ SOLVED 108
Replies
3
Views
436

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom