⍰. Is any pointer better than the Carrot? ⍰

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not like the Garrett, but use it with the Legend. The garrett is NOT a pinpointer, it is an area locator. The MI6 is a pinpointer. The difference is locating an object in te hole, if you happen to pass by the object with the Garrett, you might end up digging to China, the MI6 detects at the tip, the Garrett and others except the Whites detect everywhere.

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Happen to have an extra on hand, like new Deteknix (Quest) Pulse Induction XPointer Pro if anyone is in need. It was only used a few outings on a mineralized site, which it handled very well over others. A good deal is to be had.

Attachments

• 20220420_174952.jpg
    20220420_174952.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220420_175054.jpg
    20220420_175054.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 64

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I switched to the Deus Ml-6 from the carrot.
Well just because of the wireless capabilities-can tune the sensitivity level by looking at the screen.
Never look at the screen to pinpoint though.
I like the silent feature just hearing through the headphones.
Nothing wrong with the carrot it's just I prefer not letting the world know I'm digging out a target.
(Kind of strange as I don't hunt public areas.:laughing7:) Maybe it's just that I don't like disturbing the squirrels.:dontknow:
The sensitivity on the Ml-6 is finer than the carrot as it will go so high that it'll start false on the mineralized soils. (45-50 range)
I keep the carrot in the truck for a back up-or looking for nails in the reclaimed wood.

The Minelab Propointer 35 is an useless basically I have found and what others have stated borrowing it.
I don't use my MI-6. I don't like the way that it cuts out the coil. Especially with the XP Deus (I or II)... I often pick up the coil by the shaft and swing that over the hole if I can't find it with my PP. If I'm using the MI-6, I first have to turn that off before I can use the coil. Very annoying.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ML 35! ferrous/non ferrous saves time in trashy spots

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I know, but I still like hearing the beep privately. (Just me-I don't like the beeping it to the world)
Goes back to the first days of first headphones-used the stereo phones out detecting.
Previous it was like every time the machine sounded off it would attract every ear around.
Then once the headphones were plugged in-it cut the attention down 90%
So after 50 yrs of doing the silent mode.........
I always wrap a strip of electrical tape around the Garrett to lower the volume of the beep. Works like a charm 👍🏼

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had 7 or 8 Garrett's over the years - Black & Orange.
The on/off buttons fell out of two of my black ones and the false a lot - had to send both in for repair.
The orange Garrett's buttons are a much better design but they also false all the time.
Always turning them and off and on again at just about every hole - even when ground balanced.
Also, with all my Garrett's I had to pack small pieces of cloth around the battery to eliminate the rattling. :BangHead:

Problem Solved - now I have 2 - XP MI-6's.
They are much better built than the Garrett's and they don't false - at all.
I use one thru my Deus headphones and the other as a stand alone pinpointer as a backup.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 7 or 8 Garrett's over the years - Black & Orange.
The on/off buttons fell out of two of my black ones and the false a lot - had to send both in for repair.
The orange Garrett's buttons are a much better design but they also false all the time.
Always turning them and off and on again at just about every hole - even when ground balanced.
Also, with all my Garrett's I had to pack small pieces of cloth around the battery to eliminate the rattling. :BangHead:

Problem Solved - now I have 2 - XP MI-6's.
They are much better built than the Garrett's and they don't false - at all.
I use one thru my Deus headphones and the other as a stand alone pinpointer as a backup.
Agree on the Garrett's. Still use an orange but will have a MI6 when I get a D2. I'll keep the carrot as a backup tho in the backpack. Just never know!!

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back around 15 or 16 years ago when I got back into detecting I really wanted the carrot but finances just wouldn't allow for it.
I ended using a bounty hunter brand about $45.00 back then which for what it is performed well but the physical design is not that good even now.
The power button is a potentiometer with a split shaft on it and eventually after those years of use the knob was falling off and you can only bend the sides of the shaft so far before on side or the other snaps off.
The battery cap just snaps on and over time was loose so I retired that, or let me put it this way a good friend of mine did and now I'm using the Nokta pulse dive.
Its rechargeable had a light and a lanyard can be operated in either audio of vibrate or both and basically has everything on my bounty hunter didn't.
The pulse dive will not link to my headphones but I really don't like that idea to start with,I've not had any falsing with it and contrary to some reviews I've seen my experience with it has been when I've come into direct contact with my target with it the vibration has sped up to alert me that I'm on it.
There's only one particular draw back of the pulse dive and really not that big of a deal it is quite a bit more beefy that your average pinpointer at the end of the penpointer its self.
And if you like silence well remember to always use the water proof cap that screws on over the charging port instead of the filtered land use cap, as this thing beeps loud when you turn it on.
opplanet-bounty-hunter-pinpointer-metal-detector-w-audio-vibration-alert-pin-pointer-pl-main.jpg
nokta_makro_pulse_dive-5.jpg

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a second thought here I wanted to make it clear I'm not a fan boy of any brand nor am I bashing Garrett, and I will add here that during the winter I watch a lot metal detecting videos because I can't get out myself and I've seen the same falsing happen to pro find pinpointers.
And what I've mentioned as far as what I'm using well that is what I have and I have to rely on it and so far it works for me and I'm happy with it that doesn't mean anyone else will like it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might as well jump in... I carry two pinpointers, the Garrett carrot and the Garrett black? Yes, the carrot is a broad sweeper, the entire length, works well sweeping the ground and is all around good and waterproof, but pinpointing down in a hole, can be a little off trying to pinpoint just where the target is because of the length being active for a signal, and the target COULD be in the side wall, of which I then IF necessary, switch to the black which pinpoints from the tip, and can zero in. Anyway, it works for me, plus I always DO HAVE a spare with me for whatever reason.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought the XP-MI4 and Garrett Carrot on the same day. I've used the XP exclusively for the past month and never tried the Carrot yet. All I know for certain is the XP has some pleasant sounds, I like it.
(I've used Garrett Propointers for 14 years)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread