What's new

Is it a heel plate ?

Bruce Ct

Jr. Member
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE w/ pro coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this target Sunday and could use help identifying.
Looks like a heel plate but seems small. Appears to be made of brass and has raised edging around the heel end (worn off on one side). Is it a heel plate ? Military ? Vintage ?
Thanks for the help. Bruce Ct

Thanks to all for your help ! This plate was found along with many 1860-1920 period coins.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0693.webp
    DSCN0693.webp
    68.2 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCN0698.webp
    DSCN0698.webp
    73.5 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCN0697.webp
    DSCN0697.webp
    70.8 KB · Views: 421
I think you can rule out a heel plate. Not for sure what it is, but it looks like it may be the back off a lock.
 
Upvote 0
I would say the back to an old lock.
 
Upvote 0
Why is it so worn on the one side? :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Tough one. It does look like a heel plate the then again not. I'm wondering if it could have been something that was broken and someone used it to make a heel plate. I dug a heel plate last year that was about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" A fellow who knew about them told me it was a ladies heel plate from just after the civil war.
I hope someone can give you a more definite answer on this.
 
Upvote 0
RickyP
Not trying to be a wise-butt, but have you seen one like this before?
 
Upvote 0
I've seen my fair share of heel plates but none that resemble this. That doesn't mean it isn't though.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
RickyP
Not trying to be a wise-butt, but have you seen one like this before?


I have. :wink:


Finds 001.webp

Finds 002.webp


Heel plate. It's the right size, cast brass, and one side flat yet unfinished and un-filed, to be nailed to the heel of a shoe. This is a newer one (unworn, unbroken). In general, I think these date to the early 20th c. (Judging from the other items found)


Cheers,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Cool Deal
I didn't doubt that the one posted was used as a heel plate because of the holes and the way it is worn but the little pin in the center had me thinking it might have been part of something else first.
WTG Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Buckles!I knew I had seen one....it was yours.I didnt want to speak up because the size threw me and I didnt want to get my head bit off for its size!!!!The worn side was a big clue......my heels look like that....gotta hitch in my get a long :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Thanks Buckles!I knew I had seen one....it was yours.I didnt want to speak up because the size threw me and I didnt want to get my head bit off for its size!!!!The worn side was a big clue......my heels look like that....gotta hitch in my get a long :tongue3:

People were shorter and had smaller feet back then. Nice heel plate, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
kuger said:
Thanks Buckles!I knew I had seen one....it was yours.I didnt want to speak up because the size threw me and I didnt want to get my head bit off for its size!!!!The worn side was a big clue......my heels look like that....gotta hitch in my get a long :tongue3:

People were shorter and had smaller feet back then. Nice heel plate, Breezie
Yes they were!! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks to all for your help - especially Buckles. This plate was found along with many 1860-1920 period coins.
Bruce Ct
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
RickyP
Not trying to be a wise-butt, but have you seen one like this before?

vayank54,

Sorry I'm late posting back to you. I was trying to find one that I found a few years ago to put up a pic, but I see Buckles has posted one.
 
Upvote 0
It's all good. thanks for looking anyway. I had never seen one like that. See even an old dog can learn something new. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom