is it a Tool,did I finally find a point out here? or just another flake?

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stuff 046.jpg stuff 032.jpg stuff 041.jpg stuff 043.jpg stuff 044.jpg im guessing its just another flake because the back is flat and not worked at all, but this is a different "purposeful" looking shape compared to the random shaped flakes I usually find, but it also has that bump and slight curve. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a broken knife?
Nice find.
Thanks for posting...

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Looks like a flake knife, should be small flakes removed from edge through use. It could have been bigger and broke.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
it is a tool and welcome to the tnet friend
i think a uniface blade or (maybe) a backed blade....either way a broke piece but very interesting......but not a point

either way you should go back to that area for an afternoon and look around......ok?....
..........i am thinking you might come up with another good flaked piece

larson1951

OP
OP
B

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thank you, larson. I have already found many flakes, pottery shards, and larger preforms, but I have yet to find a point in this area. there has to be something somewhere. I probably have found 3+ pounds in percussion flakes of all different colors, some heat treated some not. So there has to be something there somewhere. I am hoping I can find something really nice.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you, larson. I have already found many flakes, pottery shards, and larger preforms, but I have yet to find a point in this area. there has to be something somewhere. I probably have found 3+ pounds in percussion flakes of all different colors, some heat treated some not. So there has to be something there somewhere. I am hoping I can find something really nice.

Nice find.. I've been on sites like that..stick it out.
With the pottery and all the debitage you may be on a village trash pit.
There will be points there somewhere.
I'd do a real good look and some scratching around in a radius around that also.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most serious collectors will only pick up the points and leave the rest for me to find, lol. Good thing I like scrapers or my collection would be very few. Your find looks to be a broken flake tool. I have many of them the broken ones. Some whole but mostly broken. HH, rock

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd do a real good look and some scratching around in a radius around that also.

LOL, that radius thing reminds me when I found a broken knife, and pondered to a friend where the other half may be. He said, "Take a rock and throw it as far as you can from the point you found the broken knife. That will representhow far that guy threw the other half of that knife when it broke on him!

Good stuff, and not just a small flake either!

OP
OP
B

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find.. I've been on sites like that..stick it out.
With the pottery and all the debitage you may be on a village trash pit.
There will be points there somewhere.

@gatorboy, does this look like check stamp? its pretty worn but I dont think thats random. looks like a pattern similar to chain link fence, or crosshatching? cant make it all out.

stuff 052.jpg

OP
OP
B

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys. The broken knife was from a different area than I have been looking. glad to finally find something better, and on the first day in this area. I may be getting somewhere, I hope. I think Im starting to zero in. The pocket gophers dig up stuff, and Show me where I need to be....

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think its purposely marked.
Looks like a thick piece Mabey towards the bottom of a pot that shrank up that way when firing.
Can you see fibers in the pottery?
Old fiber tempered pottery looks like that sometimes.

OP
OP
B

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah, yes it looks a lot like the fiber temper! but no, I can see any fibers but it was on the surface so its been exposed for a while. It is thicker than all the rest. How old might the fiber temper be? or was that technique
in continued use? One more thing, I found this it could be natural but man, it doesnt belong..is this for knapping or natural? nothing like it around. stuff 055.jpg stuff 053.jpg stuff 054.jpg the sides are perfectly square. and flat. like a chunk of counter top but it isnt that.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got me???
Hmmm.. piece of marble window sill? .. I doubt it but it looks like one.
Can you see marks from a wet saw?

OP
OP
B

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no modern tool marks at all. the broken edges are extremely worn, so its an old break. Ill throw it into the probably nothing pile. Thanks for bearing me putting a picture of every rock I find on here, im starting to figure things out.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a pretty good handle on things.. best of luck to you... keep the posts coming,that's why I enjoy the forum more than anything else.
We can't always ask a buddy while we're hunting so having Tnet buddies is a big help.
And yeah.... don't toss anything til your sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread