is it best to keep quiet about your finds?

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Pretty broad question there.

First of all, if I find a ring at the beach, I keep it in my scoop and keep walking. Somewhere between where I found the ring and my next good hit, I remove the ring and put it in my pocket. You have to be careful with crowds of people around. There is always bound to be some jerk who will attempt to scam you out of your find.

If the ring was lost and it was his/hers then they would have approached you before you found it in an attempt to get your assistance in finding the ' lost ring'. Most likely, if they did not approach you, then it is not theirs.

I think that most of us would be more than willing to assist someone in finding a lost personal item if we are asked. If you are not asked then it belongs to you.

Keep it in your scoop till you are in a position to remove it without anyone seeing what you have.

I once found a quarter at the beach and some guy says " hey that is my quarter" I told him if it is his he must know what the date is on it and if he cant tell me then it must not be his. I just walked away from him with MY quarter. Some folks just like to show off for their friends.

Happy Hunting.

Ray S

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don't have a show and tell.......
It seems to me that ,a majority of people,when shown something of value that you have found have a change of attitude. i think it's greed or envy.
i made the mistake of showing a good friend of mine (a few years back) my treasure box.
For months afterward there were remarks : you don't have to work,if i had your $$$,why don't you sell some of that stuff and lend me some$$$,boy, it must be nice to be rich, etc.etc.....He told everybody he came in contact with, about the treasure box, some people he didn't even know.
soooooo now my moto is: "keep your head down and your mouth shut"
hope this helps you.
respectfully, george

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont really tell while im hunting, but afterwards maybe....BTW, if I find it, it is mine.....I guess I think differently, but I would not get scammed outta something I worked to find..If I loose something too bad for me....

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my humble opinion it is best to keep a low profile as to finds. I generally have a few pulltabs and old pennies in my pouch to show anyone that asks if I've found anything. Sharing with interested friends and family later i'm more open. Works for me.
hh
Bill

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I actually think this is one of your better questions...you know what...I see people wanting to hunt with others...asking them their spots and everything! I think this is what came to mind for me...I remember one guy talking about an old rodeo...he mentioned it was a tradition to throw nickels into the arena. Well he mentioned he found over 100 nickels in one trip then where it was and later mentioned it was hit by others who left holes...and no nickels behind... :(

I have people asking me where I hunt...I know there are at least 4 hunters hitting some of my spots...not all of them...that is why i am not big on pictures...but as far as finding something and someone else claiming it...no...more just the oh i would give it back from everyone...I do believe a lot would try to give back...but not all.

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Actually, showing and telling about your finds is often a good way to find other spots to hunt. If you show people some of the things you are finding, they sometimes let you hunt on their property or they know someone else with an interesting site they will let you hunt.

However, there is a difference between showing "everyone" the diamond ring you found in the park and the Merc you found at the old farm. You just need to use some common sense.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, posting your finds on this website is not the way to keep them a secret...

There have been a few instances where I was reluctant to post here, but I would remind everybody that listing your street address in your profile here is not the safest thing to do.

Regards,

Buckleboy

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twice, I have had my metal detecting finds decimated. The first time was by a family member who sold off my collection while I was at college to pay for a girlfriends surgical procedure. I have never gotten over it or forgave him. My finds were numerous back then, and he took them to the local coin shop and got just a fraction of their value.
The second time was when I was deployed to the Middle East in 2004. All of my silver was kept in the back of a filing cabinet which was in a storage unit. I had none left when I got back.
It was hard for me to start collecting from square 1 again. I enjoyed looking at and sharing my finds. I never sold any, no matter how broke that I was. All I have left are my memories of those finds. Now I am slowly making new finds but they are few and far between. And I have learned to be tight lipped and use a safety deposit box...Steve

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
stevesno said:
Twice, I have had my metal detecting finds decimated. The first time was by a family member who sold off my collection while I was at college to pay for a girlfriends surgical procedure. I have never gotten over it or forgave him. My finds were numerous back then, and he took them to the local coin shop and got just a fraction of their value.
The second time was when I was deployed to the Middle East in 2004. All of my silver was kept in the back of a filing cabinet which was in a storage unit. I had none left when I got back.
It was hard for me to start collecting from square 1 again. I enjoyed looking at and sharing my finds. I never sold any, no matter how broke that I was. All I have left are my memories of those finds now. Now I am slowly making new finds but they are few and far between. And I have learned to be tight lipped and use a safety deposit box...Steve

Steve obviously this is a horrible example..sorry you got everything stolen..I have read other stories just like this...I think showing a find is great...but we all need to be careful...also some bragging about the exact locations and exactly where they find it...not a good idea... I have a large safe so nothing is left laying around.... Also I notice people always offering to hunt with people finding a lot and wanting to meet them at there spots....not to many offering to meet those finding nothing...and asking for help...something to think about... ::)

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I have the same response in the field for anyone that asks. I tell them "pennies and pulltabs, but it keeps me off the couch" And kinda act disgusted. I worry that people either want a hand out, or will try to take my loot. Im not giving up one zinc penny. Every find has a memory. Ofcourse unless its someone elses memory as in a lost piece of jewelry. Even if I have found an item someone asks about I tell them to give me their address and IF I find it I will mail it to them. This keeps them from seeing what else I have found and lets me think about the description they give. Did they really lose this or maybe see me dig it? I hate to hand something over and then realize later I was hoodwinked ....who knows. Hh dave.

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
stevesno said:
It was hard for me to start collecting from square 1 again. I enjoyed looking at and sharing my finds. I never sold any, no matter how broke that I was. All I have left are my memories of those finds. Now I am slowly making new finds but they are few and far between. And I have learned to be tight lipped and use a safety deposit box...Steve

I guess I would be gutted had that happened to me its great you found the will to do it all again I wish you luck and that you find the mother load

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX-Gregg said:
Steve obviously this is a horrible example..sorry you got everything stolen..I have read other stories just like this...I think showing a find is great...but we all need to be careful...also some bragging about the exact locations and exactly where they find it...not a good idea... I have a large safe so nothing is left laying around.... Also I notice people always offering to hunt with people finding a lot and wanting to meet them at there spots....not to many offering to meet those finding nothing...and asking for help...something to think about... ::)

I have sat down with newbies in my area and taken them to the library to help them with research. We've talked about the types of sites they'd like to find, and I've helped give them hints on how to find the sites. In some cases, we've done the research together and then gone out to get permission at the site and make some good finds. I know that this is not the normal case, because everyone wants to hunt an Iceberg, but I see this as sharing some leads and methods that have proven themselves over the years. I like to help newbies every step through the process--starting with research. If the person has just started--a brand new machine and never detected before--we start by going to parks where there are lots of new coin targets so that they can get a sense of what they should be listening for. Although I'd rather put my batteries to better use, I don't mind clad hunting with someone trying to learn the ropes once in a while. I don't give out my best sites to these folks, but I do offer to help with the research and find a site together that we can hunt together. Rodeo Recon was the last newbie I helped. He hasn't been posting much on the site, but he is a member, and we have made some great relic, coin, and jewelry finds together. I don't do this frequently, since my first allegiance is to my regular diggin buddy, but I try to help when I can.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i tell you what this just happened to me at the park the other day i found my first necklace nothing special maybe 10k plated gold with a little dolphin charm on it. it was about 3 inches down in the turf and right as i was pulling it out of the ground some punk kids came oer to me and said hey that's mine i have been looking for it. i asked him how long ago he lost it and he said yesterday. well we all know it doesn't take one night to make a necklace sink 3 inches under grass so i told him to get lost and that was the end of it. ;D

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was also going to tell you another little trick. when i go out i carry with me a really large knife with me, mainly for root cutting but also so people don't come over and bother me. i know that if i was out somewhere and saw some one mding and the had an 8 inch blade on them i would probably not bother them, let alone try to claim there find as my own :D something to think about.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I'd have to say it's a matter of discretion,most of the time i try to stay tight lipped around the average Joe and keep all my clad finds in one pocket and if they are persistant that's all they will get to see(so as to not stir further intrest)while all the time I'll have the good stuff squirreled away,the last thing I'd want is them to bogart my spots.
In the past couple of days theres been this guy(Tom) talking to me when I'm in said spot,he's a really nice guy..i get no bad vibes from him...also he knows a great deal about the history of my area,and has been pointing out places i should try and detect,today he lent me a book on the history of this area we've only talked 2-3 times and I introduced him too another Tnet member.I just believe he has no intrest in detecting only wanting to share what he knows and is a history buff like myself.

Anyway i think most times its best to keep quiet,but talking to some people you feel comfortable around can lead to possible MD'ing areas and unforseen opportunities like property permission and so on.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you find a cache - absolutely! If you find an extremely valuable find - most definitely. Other finds - not really a problem.

Keep the good stuff in a safe deposit box. Don't advertise your address on the Net. Be careful who you trust. Bragging to strangers is foolish and to neighbors unwise.

when asked by people passing by - ya found a couple pennies and some clad. Nothing that's gonna give ya an early retirement.

Brag often enough to the wrong people - watch your stuff disappear.
Know of 9 people who have lost coin collection to thieves.
'nough said! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread