What's new

Is it gold

New2panning

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 7, 2017
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I need some help. My family and I went to a creek bed to get some quartz rocks to line the flower beds with and brought back some clay that looks like rock. It crumbles under hand pressure and shines like gold. My fingers even turn gold from it. Does this sound like a fools gold or is it possibly the real deal
 

Attachments

  • 20170507_180032.webp
    20170507_180032.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • 14941985272781141928695.webp
    14941985272781141928695.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
Yeah, more likely iron pyrite than gold. That looks like it formed along a fracture/bedding plane which is how pyrite usually presents. Gold usually presents in qtz as flakes or dendrites(like tree branching) within the qtz. Sheet gold is quite rare.
 
Looks like pyrite, the gold color is probably rust leeching out, there is no mistaking the real shiny yellow stuff. It won't crumble in your hands, good luck!
 
Thanks. I found a few flakes by panning and didn't know if this might be flower gold I've heard about.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom