What's new

Is the At pro really this good?

I have one and its great in dry sand, but in salt water i have to drop my senisitive so low ( to quiet it down ) that i think iam missing alot of good targets that may be a little deeper.To verify this I started hunting just in front of my buddys xcal and that unit beat me down bad.it picked up a lot i could not. A new xcal will be in my truck by march.

Good luck in the new year,may your scoops be filled with GOLD.
 
I have done that before. However, there were no back sand to speak of.

As is stated, the sensitivity needs to be turned down. Also the VDI'S are a bit jumpy in the wet sand. It is usable but with issues... It does work better and better than other detectors I have used running single frequency.
 
grizj said:
I have one and its great in dry sand, but in salt water i have to drop my senisitive so low ( to quiet it down ) that i think iam missing alot of good targets that may be a little deeper.To verify this I started hunting just in front of my buddys xcal and that unit beat me down bad.it picked up a lot i could not. A new xcal will be in my truck by march.

Good luck in the new year,may your scoops be filled with GOLD.

I think I would like an Excal or a Cz-3D. I don't know how to decide though.
 
I have an AT Pro but have searched land only. I plan on doing freshwater ponds creeks and lakes soon. That video is not showing the performance of the detector beyond ground balancing. I'm not sure how you drew any conclusion that it was "good" from the video.
 
My at pro is awesome in freshwater,just not that good in the salt.But thats why i need a new excal ( honey i just orderd something from kellyco,no its not another metal finder ::)
 
The pro works in the salt, its all gb baby. Any machine with good manual gb works in the salt. Is this good? Really? :dontknow: Maybe.....
 
Many single frequency detectors work in the water and out on the wet salt but work well ?

Many detectors also work extremely badly even if they do have a ground balance control because they don't have a sufficient range of adjustment.
Compass with their Coin Pro II many years back fitted an expanded G.B. that would adjust high enough to allow cancellation of the positive conductivity of wet salt. Some brands followed and others to the present day haven't so are a waste of time on the wet.
 
Nothing in the video that I can contradict... It is all about ground balance. As he said, automatic ground balance and then take it down another notch or two to increase stability. You can also reduce the sensitivity to help as well. I've used my AT Pro in the salt water a couple of times and found a few things. Deepest item was a lead fishing weight at about 10". Can you find a better detector for the salt water? Sure, but for a general all purpose detector that is waterproof with a VDI and good descrimination, the AT Pro is hard to beat for the money...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom