What's new

Is the drought affecting your area?

mamabear

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
3,075
Reaction score
869
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wondering how extensive it is, & how it is affecting farmers. we lost corn crops here, a long with a lot of oak trees, persimmon, & red buds. soy fields still look ok. is it affecting you personally, & how so. how do you think it will effect the country?
 
gonna be tough on food supplies definitely. and animal feeds etc.


surprisingly being in NC we mostly have very drought type summer. this year. rain....and tons of it. t-storm after t-storm wtih big rain. we are so green it is scary. I was mowing in February and haven't stopped. Usually the lawn turns brown and I get about 2 months of not mowing. not this year. My pastures are in beautiful shape.

very high heat tho. whew

I will send ya'll some rain. just say where and I will do the dance and send it your way :)
 
The heat killed off my vegetable garden before it really got started, But with all the rain now, the overgrown sections are 10' tall with abundant blackberries and red wineberries. It takes the Kabota with loader to cut thru it.

flower#10  500.webp
 
Report from central Ohio: hot and dry until yesterday. The tad of spotty rain may have helped the dusty soil for a day or so. It is actually spotty draught around here. A few miles west and the crops are looking normal, drive a little farther west and back to puny looking crops.

Predominant big farm crops are corn and soy beans. Small garden farms are going to have a weak crop this year unless they watered the fields. Prices at farm markets are showing an increase.

Overall, yes, I'm certain there will be hefty price increases for all farm related stuff. Restaurants will probably hike prices. Oh, I have to ask if anyone else has noticed the reduced selection of foods in buffet restaurants recently. Salad bar selections seem to be narrowing. Our favorite buffet near here closed due to lack of business and that came after they cut back on selections and raised prices.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app
 
We got a good amount of rain in our area (northern Michigan) but much of southern Michigan was hit pretty hard I'm told. But this was by far the warmest summer I've ever seen in this state. We set all sorts of records this year. My sister-in-law lives on a small lake in western Michigan and it was so hot last month that the fish were dying off. To my knowledge this has never happened there before in recorded history.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom