What's new

is there a machine that will sort silver coins?

silvercop

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
just wondering if any such thing exists? sure would be easy to search if you had a machine that you could pour coins into and it would spit out the silver for you. i did a search on google and did not come up with anything. anybody ever hear of one?
 
Upvote 0
The coin counter at my dump bank does. In 2 years I've only missed one 40%. That's how I found out. I've asked they won't let me take it home. :wink:
 
I have heard of it but I am not sure I would trust anyting other than my eyes to sort for me

-Golden Silver
 
Do not give these ideas to banks. Some one can hear.

If Banks beging using these machines we are gone

Just use the Dark Force

Darth Walker
 
Darth Walker said:
Do not give these ideas to banks. Some one can hear.

If Banks beging using these machines we are gone

Just use the Dark Force

Darth Walker

Honestly I don't believe sorting silver would be profitable for banks just like it wouldn't be profitable for a coin handling company like Brinks to sort silver. Besides, banks already make a killing with all their fees in addition to the bailout money they have. Silver coins would just be too petty for them to deal with.

-Codes
 
I tend to agree with you codes,but keep in mind the richer they become the greedier they get.Seems to be human nature so if they thought there was any profit in it at all im sure some would try it.Also dont forget when jackson metals did it,they took tons of silver out of circulation.I know they got coins from all over the country but ill bet they hit the midwest the hardest.I still blame them for the poor boxes in ohio.Lol prolly nothing to do with it but got to blame something for all the skunks.It actually has more to do with so many hunters and all the road trips people make tyhese days. good luck to all jon
 
Is there a half dollar machine that is equivalent to what the Ryedale is for pennies? I don't think there is. Some here claim that their coin courier removes all silver, so they would have to have some method. My local Brinks facility does not remove silver, nor does Dunbar or Garda. If anyone believes there is a machine that can sort out silver, I would like to see a website link to a company that makes such a machine. I am skeptical anyone can provide such a link.

It would have to operate by weight, and since 90s weigh more than 40s and 40s weigh more than clad, it could be done. However, after alot of wear and tear a 40 or 90 could weigh close to a clad, so I don't see how the machine would know the difference.


Jim
 
TD banks machine rejects silver....On several occasions I have found silver in the reject chute...Also 2 different attendants told me the same thing......
Check your chutes!!!
 
A letter I got back from Coinstar requesting to buy thier boxes said that their machines reject all silver coins.

You could probably make your own if you buy a comparator-it would reject any coin you put in the holder.
 
gtlfindings said:
TD banks machine rejects silver....On several occasions I have found silver in the reject chute...Also 2 different attendants told me the same thing......
Check your chutes!!!

They will reject silver dimes, but not halves. I've seen halves in the bags. No, they wouldn't let me buy them. >:(
 
I don't trust any person to look at my coins I will check again , let alone a machine.
 
markmopar said:
gtlfindings said:
TD banks machine rejects silver....On several occasions I have found silver in the reject chute...Also 2 different attendants told me the same thing......
Check your chutes!!!

They will reject silver dimes, but not halves. I've seen halves in the bags. No, they wouldn't let me buy them. >:(

I just got a 40% from TD Very rarely do you see that though...mostly find dimes and the occasional quarter...
 
yea that is what i was wondering---if there was something like a ryedale that would sort silver? looks like somone would have already thought of this and invented something. ??? ??? ???
 
Just send them to me with return shipping. I'll separate the silver for ya. ::)
 
jim4silver said:
If anyone believes there is a machine that can sort out silver, I would like to see a website link to a company that makes such a machine. I am skeptical anyone can provide such a link.

It would have to operate by weight, and since 90s weigh more than 40s and 40s weigh more than clad, it could be done. However, after alot of wear and tear a 40 or 90 could weigh close to a clad, so I don't see how the machine would know the difference.


Jim

Jim there is DEFINITELY a michine that sorts silver.... go to any coin star machine and put in a 1976 kenneny half, 1964 kennedy half and a 1967 kennedy half, the two silver one will come back on the reject slot...... It does NOT go by weight it goes by conductivity of the metal. Have you ever used a metal detector. My garret detector will tell me if the coin in the ground is silver, coppper, gold, or even the difference between a zinc penny and copper penny, and I am pretty sure it is not weighing the coin that is in the ground. it is a conductivity frequency of the metal.
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
jim4silver said:
If anyone believes there is a machine that can sort out silver, I would like to see a website link to a company that makes such a machine. I am skeptical anyone can provide such a link.

It would have to operate by weight, and since 90s weigh more than 40s and 40s weigh more than clad, it could be done. However, after alot of wear and tear a 40 or 90 could weigh close to a clad, so I don't see how the machine would know the difference.


Jim

Jim there is DEFINITELY a michine that sorts silver.... go to any coin star machine and put in a 1976 kenneny half, 1964 kennedy half and a 1967 kennedy half, the two silver one will come back on the reject slot...... It does NOT go by weight it goes by conductivity of the metal. Have you ever used a metal detector. My garret detector will tell me if the coin in the ground is silver, coppper, gold, or even the difference between a zinc penny and copper penny, and I am pretty sure it is not weighing the coin that is in the ground. it is a conductivity frequency of the metal.


I know that Coinstar says their machines don't take silver coins. Have you personally tried this yourself? I don't wish to risk losing a silver coin in the experiment. Also, a machine that rejects silver coins is not the same as saying there is a machine that on a mass scale kicks out silver as would be used by a coin courier company.

I know that one of my banks has a self service coin scan brand machine where I have found silver dimes in the reject bin. However, before I made them a dump bank I bought their halves in the machine and it contained Franklins, 64s and 40s. So while it rejects silver dimes, it has no problem with halves.

If you say you tried the Coinstar experiment and it worked I will believe you. But I don't wish to risk losing any silver. I really don't care if there is such a machine out there, in that all the boxes I get in my area from the different coin couriers have silver from time to time so I know they don't sort.

But from an academic standpoint, I don't think said sorting is going on except maybe in less than 1% of coin courier service companies.

Jim
 
TD banks machine rejects silver
i beg to differ...i have never found a silver in the reject tray at the TD's i go to....and i'm there almost everyday....i usually just find loads of clad....wish my TD's were like yours
 
i can't believe that no such thing seems to exist...i mean with all the hunters out there i know it has had to been thought of before......i can't find anything on google.....
 
I've been doing my homework on separating silver coins from clad and found only four methods that can scientifically work (based on sorting halves):

1) Electrical resistance - this is impractical for many reasons, including requiring > 20 amps to test effectively.
2) Weight differential - look it up, but the difference for 90% (12.50g) 40% (11.5g) and clad (11.34g) - the hitch is a scale with +/- 5% accuracy and automating weighing
3) Coefficient of Restitution (again, look it up) - silver bounces differently off a very hard surface. I have been told the Fed banks use this method to strip silver from the coinage stream. Simple: bounce coins toward a barrier - some bounce higher and over, some don't.
4) Using Lenz's Law: a counter-electromotive force will be induced in copper when the coins move through a magnetic field. The cause of this CEMF is due to 'eddy currents'. That is, CEMF is a force caused by eddy currents as explained by Lenz's Law. The practical upshot of all this is that if you shoot a conductive object through a magnetic field it will slow down.

#4 Is amazingly easy to try, and works brilliantly on separating copper and zinc pennies. I'm testing it tonight on clad vs. 90% halves and am sure with proper tweaking it will work > 98%. It should also work on dimes and nickels, other tests I'll be trying. The below video is amazing and I have been able to reproduce it spending less than $15 on equipment.

penny sorting - Noah.org

Further, below is a report of my stuffing a bunch of coins into a coin counter at the local Publix - not Coinstar, but a type that has a turntable-like dish in the top where some rejects remain. Will post again when I check more about the machine. Results speak for themselves.

Fiiiinally, I'm heading for my Credit Union on Monday for test #2, a repeat of the below method. An employee swears this Swedish "Scan Coin" device rejects silver, but I seriously doubt she has any idea what she's talking about.

Coin Test #1

Coins inserted:

1964 Kennedy Half

1962 Washington Quarter

1964 Roosevelt Dime

15 pennies

3 nickels (2 US, one Canadian)

4 clad dimes

20 clad quarters

10 clad halves

1 Sacagawea Dollar

1 Large brass Chuck E. Cheese’s token

6 smaller silvered Chuck E. Cheese’s tokens



Total of counted coins inserted = $11.60 in non-silver coins; $0.85 in 90% silver coins (Canadian Nickel not included) = $12.45



Rejects:

4 small tokens

Large token

One nickel (turned out to be Canadian)

1979 Kennedy Half (edges were a tad scuffed up)

Total of rejected coins (US Coins of value) = $0.50



Total Payout on receipt = $12.00



Conclusions: These machines DO eat silver US coins. One token was likely counted as a nickel, and who knows what happened to the other unreturned token.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom