Is there a thing as a silver penny ?

VooDoo710

Jan 25, 2018
North East Ohio, Painesville
Detector(s) used
F44, F5, Bounty Hunter Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today I went out to the Lake and figured I would root around with my F44. I was swinging and all off a sudden Beep then again Beep beep beep . So I pinpointed it and started to dig. Dig I didn't points mode said it was about 7 inches down in the sand . I slowly dug and looked and looked and dug. And I saw these 3 Wheat pennies 2x 1943 and 1X 1944. Looking to find out if they ever made a silver penny cause I think I have 3 of them. Let me know what you think . Thank you in advance.

IMAG0015.jpg
IMAG0014.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Upvote 7

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think you found some 1943 steel pennies

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 1943, the government decided to make pennies from steel in order to help conserve copper which was needed for wartime production of ammunition. Steel cents were only produced during that year. Many that are seen today have been re-plated with zinc in order to 'restore' them. Yours look to be completely original. If you dug those, they have not been in the ground for very long because they would be completely rusted

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, steel. They only did that during WWII.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not see the one dated 1944? Looks like all three are 1943. Now if one of them was a steel 1944 then it may be worth some change?

decoy218

Feb 20, 2013
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, XP Deus, Minelab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try sticking them against a magnet. If they stick then they are steel. If the 1944 sticks then you have a definite banner. Only about 35-40 struck.

OP
OP
VooDoo710

VooDoo710

Jan 25, 2018
North East Ohio, Painesville
Detector(s) used
F44, F5, Bounty Hunter Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 1943, the government decided to make pennies from steel in order to help conserve copper which was needed for wartime production of ammunition. Steel cents were only produced during that year. Many that are seen today have been re-plated with zinc in order to 'restore' them. Yours look to be completely original. If you dug those, they have not been in the ground for very long because they would be completely rusted

I did dig them they were. Plastic in another plastic bag with. Package of cilica. They where not wet at all they came out just like you see them . Must have been a collection of some sort.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try sticking them against a magnet. If they stick then they are steel. If the 1944 sticks then you have a definite banner. Only about 35-40 struck.
Don't know how many 1944 steelies were minted at the various mints but there have been 6 that have sold at Heritage auctions since 2010 for 23k to over 60k.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like one of the coin companies deals. They'd send you a bunch of (in my opinion) low quality coins. You'd keep what you wanted & send the rest back. It'd be worth checking that area further! Could be someone was as disappointed as I was & threw em out the window!!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think it's a war penny. I've found a few myself. Super day. Congrats :thumb_up:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did dig them they were. Plastic in another plastic bag with. Package of cilica. They where not wet at all they came out just like you see them . Must have been a collection of some sort.

that makes more sense as to why they're not rusted

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are like me and always scrutinize the coins you find. I suggest that you invest in Yeoman's Red Book of US Coins. History, Numismatics, relics, and knowledge of metal detecting techniques, all go hand in hand in this hobby.
As has been said, in 1943, the U.S. mint made all pennies out of steel. The steel pennies were given a Zinc coating to prevent premature rusting and to make the coin more appealing. Any recoating of these pennies after the penny left the mint, is said to have been done by unscrupulous coin dealers trying to make a fast buck. Although there were some copper, 1943 pennies struck by mistake, very few of these error coins left the mint. A true 1943 copper penny is worth a nice penny today. (No pun intended)
There were some novelty 1943 steel pennies that were copper plated and sold as 1943 Copper penny novelties. In 1944, a few pennies were mistakenly struck on steel planchets. These pennies are error coins and are rare. They were not coated with zinc and would be very easy to spot visually.
If a 1943 steel penny is dropped in soil or sand, they will rust and deteriorate rapidly. That is why not many are recovered unless they have somehow been protected from the elements.
There are also counterfeit or altered coins that people have tried to pass off as 1943 copper pennies. The 1948 copper Lincoln penny was the coin of choice to alter by shaving the 8 and making it look like a 3.
Congrats on your finds.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a steel cent...very nice find!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds there. 1943 pennies were made of steel,and they had no copper in them. usually when those are in the ground for a period they just rust into globs. You did well in recovering them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found some recently dropped coins near a slide that included a steelie that wasn't rusted yet. Once.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions