Is there any way to tell if this is from a shipwreck?

Pyrotten

Greenie
Aug 2, 2009
Ohio

Attachments

• backofcross2.jpg
    backofcross2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 410

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I feel this mark might be a key element in IDing this item myself.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DL:

I would have a good jeweler take a close look at the stones. With the Emeralds they will need a serious oiling if they have been in salt water for a long period of time. That is assuming that the oiling has not been already done. Without any background to the piece it's really impossible to tell.

Also look at the cut of the stones. Are they in fact cut in the old style with the tools of an earlier era. If the other stones are diamonds they will also be cut in the old way. Any good stone cutter can help you out there.

As far as actually coming off a wreck though???? Got to have more info to even make an educated guess. It is a beautiful piece though and even being able to show that the possibility of it coming off a wreck would increase it's value immensely (like if it were a beach find).

Deepsix

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
A local jewelry dealer in New Smyrna bought this at an estate sale "for a song" and she felt that it may have come from a shipwreck.

She was aware there was probably no way to find out if it was wreck "loot" unless photos or drawings were available to put it on a ship for transport. I told here I would run it past my friends here.

I think the up down crown might be significant.

thanks guys

DL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread