Is there any way to tell if this is from a shipwreck?

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,623

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
What makes her think that? First impression I got is that it is not shipwreck material. Just looks too clean and polished. I'd do a real good check of every tiny crease, crevice, nook and cranny and try to find even a spec of sand or salt. Shy of that or some type COA from a reputable person/business, I wouldnt be comfortable in making the assumption.

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
sorry, he did not send a back photo
they just made the comment that it "looked" like it may have come off a ship.

DL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lovely design and workmanship --it does have a old style design look to it -- however its has very very "clean" look to it --nothing solid to say was "treasure ship stuff" ---any marking on the rear of it?

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Thats a stunning piece, does it really matter if it came from a ship wreck or not, maybe with provenace it may be worth more. But even without it if the emeralds are real and the gold is gold, its fantastic.

Just my opinion

Mike

Your early Christmas present.

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Nice piece, at first glance I'd say no to clean, at second glance I'd say maybe because the stones are cut in a ruff mannor unlike modern day stones....maybe

at third glance...
also working your way in from any end point you go past the emerald setting to a setting holding what appear to be diamonds to either side of this setting are gold rods or bars that look the way high iron content gold looks after being in the water and getting a good cleaning....however, also the gold on said rods is also possibly electroplated pieces that have delaminated from the base metal...both scenarios look similar.................just my opinion............................Limo Bob

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like costume jewelry to me.

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Just got back from Atlanta...
Thanks for all the opinions. A local jewelry shop has it, the owner said it was not for sale but did get it out of the safe to show me. She didn't tell me what they paid for it but she seemed to know what she was talking about. If anyone has any questions or interest, I can check.
You have to admit, it is beautiful.

Diverlynn

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
scubatreasure said:
Nice piece, at first glance I'd say no to clean, at second glance I'd say maybe because the stones are cut in a ruff mannor unlike modern day stones....maybe

at third glance...
also working your way in from any end point you go past the emerald setting to a setting holding what appear to be diamonds to either side of this setting are gold rods or bars that look the way high iron content gold looks after being in the water and getting a good cleaning....however, also the gold on said rods is also possibly electroplated pieces that have delaminated from the base metal...both scenarios look similar.................just my opinion............................Limo Bob

at forth and final glance ...i noticed an emerald off the center diamond (bottom left one)...it is broken and missing a piece this could not happen to imitation stone, but to a natural emerald this is common....so I'm going with real....old....possibly from water if so must have gotten there by a ship of some sort......................................Limo Bob

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Regardless of old, new, fake, or real, to say it came from a shipwreck is completely unsupported and in no way can be proven without some documentation of it being on a shipwreck or it being found on a shipwreck site.

It looks interesting but would be comparable to me finding a cob or gold coin at a pawn shop (or even in my yard) and claiming it came off a shipwreck. Not every coin was lost in a shipwreck.

A good picture of the back would tell more about wheather its old or new.

Or more info on why the jeweler would think it came from a shipwreck. Did it come from the personal collection of someone who had other shipwreck items?

Just my opinion. Without proof, its just another piece of jewelry, old or new.

RGecy

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
to say it came from a shipwreck is completely unsupported and in no way can be proven without some documentation of it being on a shipwreck or it being found on a shipwreck site.

Thanks for your insight Robert. I never said they said it was from a shipwreck, they just thought it was possible due to the character of the piece and their interest was not to document it but just curiosity. I am going to go up town today, I'll drop in and see if she has a photo of the back and if she has any knowledge of the estate owner's name and if she will tell me what she paid for it. She is a jeweler so I would think she would know if it was real. She was interested in the history not trying to sell it to me.

Diverlynn

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
very nice bit of jewelry , looks real. clearly with very old style design pattern and looks -- it looks as thought it could fit the 1715 ish time frame * design / looks wize --that said -- theres no way to prove it is a shipwreck item sadly without much more info and proof.

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
Nice piece of jewelry, Seems like I have seen something like that before in a store, while I was in Old San Juan. Will check with my brother in law, who lives in Bogota.

Simon....

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I spoke to the owner a few minutes ago. She still has the piece and is sending me more photos. I met her about a year ago and after we began talking about what I do, she brings it out. I had her send me a photo by email and I forwarded it to Doug who in turn sent it to Taffi. Never heard anymore about it, then I came across the photo in my laptop and thought some of you might have info. She bought the piece 15 years ago in Orlando at an estate sale. Someone at Southey's told her it was worn by a priest and she needed to have measurements done to date the piece. She never did and she doesn't have it for sale because she wanted to be sure what she had. She does not remember the name of the owner. I will post some photos when she sends them.

Lynn

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
while looking at the picture under my magnifying glass i noticed a couple of interesting things....look at the left side of the cross coming out of the bottom of the emerald a Bloom that hooks upward towards the outside appears to have initials or marking of some kind, checked all other blooms in opposing locations with this being the only one showing markings, also, where the horizontil and vertical lines meet to form the cross they have placed a Bloom of some sort like bracing, at 10 o'clock off the center diamond(upper left Bloom) i noticed some sort of markings directly in between the two swirls coming out from the point where the horizontal meets the vertical , also looks like initials , and no other markings on opposing locations...............................best i can do with what i have to work with ................

and yes Robert you have a valid point and without proper documentation of some sort regarding the owner and history of this piece its just a really nice cross.....Limo Bob

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Ok,
Here is a photo of the back of the cross

Thanks for all the input, I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

Lynn

Attachments

• backofcross.jpg
    backofcross.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,248

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
there is a mark---however I can't make it out ---its below the center of the cross on the down leg of it. check it out closely .

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Its very nice ,it doesnt have that crude look like some of the 16 and 1700s sand cast stuff/file marks. Who ever made it did a good job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions