Is there some kind of bias against Minelab Machines?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe people are tired of seeing us Minelab guys always coming home with silver?

Or maybe it's from the people who just couldn't learn the machine and are grumpy about failing at something?

Who knows.... I sure don't.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I'm not I realize not everyone can own a Whites :tongue3: lol

I think I have about one from them all now and I still firmly believe the operator is the most important part of the operation and discovery sequence.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of Minelab. Isn't it made by Bounty Hunter? Just kidding. I have read a lot of good reports on Minelab equipment. Where are you seeing the negativ stuff? M ??? nty

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Not that I've noticed.

The only reasons I could think of are:
That they are not made in the US.
Explorer models have a learning curve that some people don't have the patience for.
Explorer has some design issues that haven't been corrected in the five different versions.

Don't get me wrong. I use my Explorer II every weekend if possible, but think that there is a lot of room for improvement.

Jeff

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Learning curve, weight, weird sounds it makes, etc (Explorer). It's still a good machine. I usually hear more bad about the Explorer..........the X-terra's seem to get good reviews and praises.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only negative things I have heard about the ML were by the owners themselves. Heck, I'm saving my pennies as I type....the ML is on my wish list...

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
If you want to see some heated words about ML go to one of the Aussie's forums about gold prospecting. Some of the most heated words against ML have come from their own countrymen.

My feelings on this. Well the proof is in the results. ML makes the deepest PIs for gold prospecting and the Ex11 is a legend in the coin hunting department. They are actively producing new machines particularly for PIs for gold prospecting. A company that is always producing new products gets an OK in my book.

A lot of gripes people have are about their pricing which really is high end. Yep $5K for a new PI. I guess a little class warfare here with people who can't afford a $1300 EX SE.

With regards to high prices- well the gold nugget guys always have to have the newest ML PI. Imagine buying a new PI for $4K and 2 months later a new one comes out. Your detector value has just dropped $1000 in value. As their new releases are unannounced I would hate to be a ML dealer stuck with a shipment of the old PIs.

My gripes with Minelab would be
1. Holy Crap- After all these years they haven't figured out how to make a 2.5lb Explorer?
2. Their advertising- They started the frequency wars and all that hype. All that 57 frequency nonsense. I remember seeing all those cartoons showing a poor single frequency guy which just one search arrow beneath his searchcoil. Whereas an Explorer user had a multitude of search arrows beneath his coil. The truth of the matter is MLs only receive 2 or 3? frequencies not the dozens which have been hyped.

Just my 2 cents.
George

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The reason I perceived a ML bias was the fact I almost never see one recommended when I see somebody asking for a detector recommendation. The guy I used to hunt with used an Xterra 70 and in his hands it was the equal of my MXT, so I've always wondered why I never see it hyped the way I do the MXT, afterall its a lighter machine and the build quality looks fine. In fact, until recently I never really considered getting one because of a perceived bias, but now I'm reconsidering.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I hunt almost exlusively with the EX II now. I have to say I love the machine. IT was maddening to learn the thing though and I didn't have anyone near by to show me how to use it so I learned the only way I knew how, lots and lots of practice and nights with an empty finds pouch.

But now I almost never go hunting that I don't find a wheat penny, a piece of silver or some other good find. For this area Wheat pennies and small silver coins are about what you can expect to find on an average GOOD hunt.

I have had several people ask what machine to buy first and I have helped 5 people get their first machines. Three Exterra-30s and 2 with Ace 250s and by far the X-30s owners are much happier with their machines and their finds.

So I do think that for a long time on here people slammed Minelab and I remember when I first joined the forum there were some nasty Minelab vs Whites arguments that raged on the forum.

I would have to agree to a point with Bridgeendfarm, the operator makes all the difference in the world. It wouldn't matter if you had a $100,000 machine if you don't get good with it you won't find the good stuff.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
The reason I perceived a ML bias was the fact I almost never see one recommended when I see somebody asking for a detector recommendation. The guy I used to hunt with used an Xterra 70 and in his hands it was the equal of my MXT, so I've always wondered why I never see it hyped the way I do the MXT, afterall its a lighter machine and the build quality looks fine. In fact, until recently I never really considered getting one because of a perceived bias, but now I'm reconsidering.

It's because most people just can't understand the Explorer. But once you do learn it you will find more old coins in equal hunting grounds than users of other machines. I am going in to spots that have been hit hard for the past 40 years and consistently bringing home some oldies. People finding more coins on a regular basis than me just have better hunting spots that haven't been hit this hard.

If anyone wants to argue that, then I would welcome a challenge from any user of another machine. I can't tell you how many times I've showed somebody a beautiful signal on my machine that was deep and the other machine heard nothing at all. Even the almighty White's DFX.

It's not ALWAYS a matter of knowing your machine, because if your machine can't hear the deep coins than no amount of experience is going to create those signals that the machine just can't see.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
bscofield6

While I agree with the basic premise of your post I still have yet to find a deep silver coin or even copper for that matter. When I do get good deep signals they usually end up being junk iron.

When I first started using the EX II I did find a 1943 Florin at 10 inches which is by far the deepest good coin I have found with the EX II. I think I am still doing something not quite right but I'll keep at it.

Not picking on Baldingboy or his XLT but I find signals all the time his XLT won't even hint at that turn out to be relics and such at 10-11 inches.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BamaBill said:
I've been reading this forum for a while and I get a general impression of a bias against ML detectors. Maybe I'm wrong? If not, can somebody explain it?

I sold my MXT when my knee went bad and when I got a new knee I looked at the features of White's and Minelab and bought a their X-70. NOT the Explorer. And for heavier coils I use my swingy-thingy and can detect up and down hills all day.

I like it fine. I liked my MXT too. I do still have my old Classic-II for backup.

I think all the top detectors are fine if you learn how to use them. I've only had my Minelab for a few months and am still sorting out settings and coils. And I do nugget hunt and prospect so that is maybe a little different the the White's. And a lot cheaper than an XLT.

And I joined a few other forums that are specific to the Minelabs. Whatever works for you works for me. :thumbsup:

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bscofield6 said:
Maybe people are tired of seeing us Minelab guys always coming home with silver?
Or maybe it's from the people who just couldn't learn the machine and are grumpy about failing at something?

My buddy bought a Minelab Explorer as his first detector. Bad mistake for him. That learning curve is hard and he just didn't care about the hobby that much. He sold the Explorer and bought some HAM Radio equipment.

The MD club we belonged to didn't have anyone interested in tutoring anyone on detectors and I think an expert MD'er could make some $$$ having classes for specific detectors. I know I spent ~$25 or so to get the lessons on my GPS. Just my 0.03 Euros. 8)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
bscofield6

While I agree with the basic premise of your post I still have yet to find a deep silver coin or even copper for that matter. When I do get good deep signals they usually end up being junk iron.

When I first started using the EX II I did find a 1943 Florin at 10 inches which is by far the deepest good coin I have found with the EX II. I think I am still doing something not quite right but I'll keep at it.

Not picking on Baldingboy or his XLT but I find signals all the time his XLT won't even hint at that turn out to be relics and such at 10-11 inches.

Once you fully learn the machine (if that is even possible for anybody) you will see what I am talking about.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBob said:
bscofield6 said:

My buddy bought a Minelab Explorer as his first detector. Bad mistake for him. That learning curve is hard and he just didn't care about the hobby that much. He sold the Explorer and bought some HAM Radio equipment.

The MD club we belonged to didn't have anyone interested in tutoring anyone on detectors and I think an expert MD'er could make some $$$ having classes for specific detectors. I know I spent ~$25 or so to get the lessons on my GPS. Just my 0.03 Euros. 8)

The Explorer was my 2nd machine. I started with an Ace 250 and got an explorer less than a month later because the Ace just couldn't hang with the big boys.

I've recently helped 'tutor' several new explorer users and have several others lined up to come visit me when they get the time/money to do so. Sometimes I question this, especially for guys that live locally. If I teach them the ins and outs, then there won't be any coins left for anybody anywhere.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think i ever saw any bad write ups on the.... Minelab Sovereign....I have had the ..Explorer and the Excalibur...and they are both good detectors but to me they are not as good as the ..Sovereign...Why do yo think some are makeing the Sovereign a water detector because it is Minelabs best detector......And all you see on here anymore is Explorer, F 75 Explorer ,F 75 and that is why you see so many bad reports on them........not that they are bad but if that is all you see you are bound to get bad reports..& good reports................

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its because all the hype and opinions... I just purchased a Xt70 and its a great detector... As far as the other minelabs I have had a explorer XS and a SE and the reason I don't anymore is they are very slow and love nails... Good detectors.. Just my observation.. The bias about their gold detectors I believe is the price..

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I started with a White's machine, like 17 years ago. When I was ready to upgrade, the Fisher CZ was "the" machine to have. I owned 4-5 CZs (awesome machines), tried the XLT (hated it), and now have the Explorer. Long learning curve is right. Frustration is right. Going SLOW is right. Heavy too, but not bad compared to the CZ I was used to. I'm getting the hang of it, slowly but surely. I also come home with silver almost every time out. I'm digging coins deeper than I ever have before.

What sold me that I needed an Explorer was when I watched a guy with an Explorer dig shield nickels, indians and a seated dime out of my hunted out park, in ground I know I covered many times with several machines. No question in my mind that the Explorer is the detector to have right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread